Abdullah Abubakar is an Indian athlete who competes in the triple jump. In 2022, he won a silver medal at the Birmingham Commonwealth Games.
Abdullah Abubakar was born on Wednesday, 17 January 1996.age 26 years; by 2022) in Kerala, India. His zodiac sign is Aquarius. Abdullah did his schooling at Vanamal MUP School, Kerala and Kallady School, Palakkad, Kerala. Abdullah was fond of sports and athletics since childhood. During his schooling, he used to participate in 100 meter running competitions. Later, after shifting to Kalady School in Palakkad, he started practicing triple jump.
Height (Approx): 5′ 10″
Hair Color: black
Eye Colour: black
Abdullah Abbobakar belongs to a Muslim family from Kerala.
parents and siblings
Abdullah Abubakar’s father, Abubakar, works as an assistant in a cafeteria in the Middle East. His mother’s name is Sara. Abdullah has two siblings named Muhammad and Safna. In an interview, Abdullah’s mother Sara spoke about her performance in the Commonwealth Games and said,
Later we got to see his performance and we all had tears in our eyes.
Abdullah Abubakar, after passing class 12, shifted from his village, Valayam, the capital of Kerala to Trivandrum, to train under coach MA George, a silver medalist at the 2010 Commonwealth Games. In an interview MA George talked about Abdullah Abubakar and said,
What I liked the most about him was his total dedication. Unlike other trainees, he had no distractions and was focused and this helped him climb the podium. ,
In 2019, Abdullah made his triple jump debut at the Indian Military Services Championship held in Pune, India. He won the gold medal in the competition. The following year, he won a silver medal at the Indian Open Championship, Pune. In 2021, he won various medals in triple jump championship events like Federation Cup, a silver medal at Patiala, Inter Services Championship, a gold medal at Bhubaneswar and a silver medal at National Open Ch., Stadium Hanamkonda, Warangal. On 1 March 2022, she won a bronze medal in the Indian Open bronze medal competition held in Thiruvananthapuram. In the same year, he participated in The Indian Grand Prix, Thiruvananthapuram. Won silver medal in the competition. On 21 May 2022, he won the gold medal at the Indian Prix, Bhubaneswar.
In August 2022, he made his international debut at the Commonwealth Games held in Birmingham. He won the silver medal in the tournament with a result of 17.02m. aldhos paulMeanwhile, the jump to gold medals recorded a personal best of 17.03. Abdullah talked about participating in the Commonwealth Games in an interview and said,
Breaking the qualification standard for the World Championships is exciting enough and it gives me goosebumps thinking this will be my first international event. Right now the focus is very clear – get to the finals in Oregon and improve my 17.19m effort there.”
Abdullah Abubakar is coached under Harikrishnan (Assistant Coach) and Dennis Kapustin (Head Coach).
Indian Air Force
In 2014, Abdullah joined the Indian Air Force. Later, while serving in the Indian Air Force, he began his training in the triple jump under Coach Harikishan. Abdullah talked about this in an interview and said,
I did triple jump in my school and college. But, the big turning point came when I joined the Indian Air Force in 2014. There Harikrishnan sir took me under his wings. I give a lot of credit for my success to him. The fact that he is now with the Indian camp as an assistant coach, gives me a sense of comfort as he goes about his business. ,
- 2019: Indian Military Service Championship, Pune
- 2021: Inter Services Championship, Bhubaneswar
- 2022: Indian Grand Prix, Bhubaneswar
- 2019: Indian Open Championship, Ranchi
- 2021: Federation Cup, Patiala
- 2021: National Open Championship, Stadium Hanamkonda, Warangal
- 2022: National Inter State Senior Athletics Championships, Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium, Chennai
- 2022: Commonwealth Games, Alexander Stadium, Birmingham
- 2022: Indian Open Jump Championships, Thiruvananthapuram
Facts / Trivia
- Abdullah Abubakar initially started his athletic career with track events like 100m, 200m sprint and hurdles. Thereafter, he switched to the triple jump as there were no takers. He talked about this in an interview and said,
I used to run 100m, 200m and hurdles but the competition was too much. I already realized that it would be difficult to stand out at these events. I tried my hand at the triple jump as there were no takers and it soon became my favorite event.
- aldhos paulThe 2022 Commonwealth Games gold medalist is a close friend of Abdullah. They met each other at the MA College and Training in Kerala and trained under the same coach. in an interview, aldhos paul talked about the bond shared with Abdullah and said,
We talk to each other about our technique and our rhythm on the runway. We are always motivating each other and giving hints about things that go wrong with the leaps of others. From the position of the coaches in the stands, they cannot see the full picture in terms of technique and rhythm. We’re looking closely at the field, so we can see things that others can’t. Yes, we have a competitive mindset during competitions. But still we both keep giving advice to each other.”
- According to Abdullah Abubakar, two days before his event at the 2022 Birmingham Commonwealth Games, he began to feel dizzy, lost almost four kilograms, and felt unexplained weakness. Later, he talked about this with his close friend Aldoche Paul. Abdullah talked about this in an interview and said,
I was a little scared. So, I decided to talk to Aldhos. He assured me that there was nothing to worry about. He told me to take some electrolytes as I may be sodium deficient. I knew I could only rely on him. I can count on him for anything.”