Abhay Sharma is a renowned Indian stand-up comedian, YouTuber, politician and lyricist who is visually impaired. He came into limelight after participating as a contestant in the popular reality TV shows called The Great Indian Laughter Challenge (2017) and Indian Laughter Champion (2022).
Abhay Kumar Sharma was born on Saturday 5 July 1997.age 25 years; by 2022) in Village Gordiha, Sonbhadra District, Uttar Pradesh, India. His zodiac sign is Cancer. In 2013, he completed his schooling at Shri Hanuman Prasad Poddar Andha Vidyalaya, Varanasi. In 2016, he earned a Bachelor of Arts (Hons) Political Science degree from Banaras Hindu University (BHU).
parents and siblings
There is not much information available about his parents and siblings.
wife and children
Abhay Kumar Sharma is unmarried.
Abhay Kumar Sharma follows Hinduism.
After completing his formal education in 2016, Abhay Sharma worked as an under-training RJ with a radio station named Radio 90.8 FM – Aap Ki Awaaz. In 2017, after completing his internship with the radio station, Abhay Sharma joined a non-governmental organization (NGO) named Utsav Trust. In 2017, Abhay Sharma was invited to participate in a live stand-up comedy show called Divyango’s Shyam, Swachhta Ke Naam. The show was organized by the Government of Madhya Pradesh in Jabalpur.
In 2017, Abhay Sharma got his first big break when he was selected to participate as a contestant in The Great Indian Laughter Challenge, a reality comedy TV show that aired on Star Plus. In the show, Abhay became one of the seven contestants to enter the grand finale of the show.
PM impressed by Abhay Sharma’s mimicry skills in 2019 Narendra Modi Met them. Prime Minister Modi praised Abhay’s performance in his comedy skit titled Mann Ki Baat, which was based on the Prime Minister’s radio program Mann Ki Baat.
In the same year, Abhay Sharma was appointed as the brand ambassador by the Election Commission of India to spread voting awareness in Sonbhadra district during the 2019 Lok Sabha elections.
In 2021, Abhay Sharma was appointed as the chairman of Utsav Trust, an NGO he incorporated in 2017. In 2021 Abhay Sharma was invited to deliver an inaugural address at the Banaras Film Festival.
In 2021, Abhay Sharma, along with his followers, went on an indefinite hunger strike to protest the Varanasi local administration’s decision to cancel the admission of visually impaired children from class 9 to class 12 at the Shri Hanuman Prasad Poddar Blind Vidyalaya.
Later in the same year, Abhay Sharma was invited as the chief guest at the opening ceremony of BS Film Academy.
Abhay Sharma is also a YouTuber. As of June 2022, he has more than 32.3k subscribers on his YouTube channel. In 2021, Abhay Sharma posted a comedy skit, Janta Ka Vaccine Tender, on his YouTube channel. The video became one of his most viewed and famous YouTube skits.
Abhay Sharma often works with another famous stand-up comedian Shyam Rangeela. On 22 January 2022, Abhay and Shyam released a comedy skit titled UP Ka Vikas Dekha? In 2022, he published another comedy video, Jab Mile Yogi, Modi Aur Akhilesh, on his YouTube channel.
In the same year, Abhay Sharma published another satirical comedy video titled IPL and Corona-Logy. The video was based on corona virus and IPL.
As a lyricist, Abhay Sharma is known for creating songs based on the current socio-political situation of Indian society. On 18 February 2022, he wrote a song titled Jayegi Jumlebaz Sarkar. In 2022, Abhay Sharma got his second big break when he was cast as a contestant in the reality comedy TV show India’s Laughter Champion. The show was aired on Sony TV. When Abhay was asked about his second appearance on the comedy reality TV show, he said,
I think making people laugh is the greatest gift that anyone can get and I am just grateful that God gave me this talent. I thank Sony TV and India’s Laughter Champion for this golden opportunity. The competition is tough, there are many good comedians in the race but I will try my best to be the best out of them.”
In January 2022, Abhay Sharma auditioned for the talent hunt reality TV show India’s Got Talent.
Facts / Trivia
- Abhay Sharma claims that growing up in his native village, he had to face a lot of hardships and prejudices because of his blindness. He further said that when he was sent to Varanasi for schooling, the residents of his village thought that his parents had abandoned him. During an interview, Abhay said,
I was born a blind child. People often made fun of me and even made fun of me for my disability. When my parents admitted me to Shri Hanuman Prasad Poddar Andha Vidyalaya in Varanasi, people believed that my parents had sent me to an orphanage and whenever I came back home on holidays was. They would often taunt me for coming back to beg for a few pieces of food. It took me a long time to prove to myself that now people believe that yes! He can read and write too.”
- Comedy skit in which Abhay Sharma imitated famous personalities like Rajnath Singh, Narendra Modi And Lalu Prasad Yadav has become widely popular. His comedy skit has also been shared by famous politicians like Akhilesh Yadav And Dimple Yadavon their official social media accounts.
- Abhay Sharma wants some seats in Parliament to be reserved for disabled candidates, who can represent the paralyzed community at the national level. He even once wrote a letter requesting the Prime Minister to reserve some seats in Parliament for candidates with disabilities. Abhay said while giving an interview,
I want to work for the holistic development of specially abled people of India, but our representation in Parliament has always been neglected. I also asked our Prime Minister Narendra Modi to introduce a bill in the Parliament to reserve some seats for disabled citizens, so that we can have equal representation at the administrative level and also contribute in policy making.
- While giving an interview to a local news agency, Abhay Sharma once claimed that he is a UPSC aspirant and wants to serve the nation by becoming an IAS officer.
- Abhay Sharma believes that if it was not for the COVID-19 pandemic, he would have established himself as a popular comedian by now in India. He wants to gain the desired popularity by his hard work and not by gaining sympathy for his blindness. Giving an interview to a media outlet, Abhay Sharma said,
After my reality show, I started getting a lot of shows. However, then a pandemic struck and everything came to a standstill. Now that I have got a chance again with India’s Laughter Champion, I will not let this opportunity go. I want to stand on my own talent in the comedy scene and not on someone’s sympathy.”
- Abhay Sharma once said that he wanted to take up cricket as a professional sport, and he also wanted to become a sports commentator but could not pursue his dreams due to his blindness. During an interview he said,
Well.. If I had not been born as a blind child, I would surely have preferred to take up cricket as a professional sport. I want to be a commentator too. But my condition doesn’t let me either. Even though I can’t see the players, I know who is who and what they do.”
- In 2020, Abhay Sharma joined the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP).
- In 2021, Abhay Sharma supported farmers’ protest against 3 agricultural laws of the government. He also met the protesting farmers on the outskirts of New Delhi. There, he met Abhay Sharma while giving a speech in favor of the farmers. Rakesh Tikait Who is the leader of the peasant movement.