Profession: Fashion Designer
Husband: Chaitanya Sharma
Hometown: Kolkata, West Bengal
Some lesser known facts about Abhishek Ray
- Abhishek Ray is an Indian fashion designer and educationist who came into limelight on 3 July 2022, when he tied the knot with his gay partner Chaitanya Sharma in an intimate ceremony. Soon after the wedding, their pictures went viral on social media. The wedding ceremony was attended by his close friends and family members in Kolkata.
- Abhishek Ray actively contributes in the field of fashion design as a teacher and mentor to most of the premier universities and institutes in India.
- Abhishek Ray has Indian ethnic, textile and menswear experience, mainly embroidering crafts, surface embellishments and blending trendy silhouettes with traditional wear. His brand deals in pret, luxury-pret and couture.
- Abhishek Ray belongs to Kolkata and soon after completing his college studies he started working as a fashion designer. In June 2005, he joined From September 2010 to December 2010, Abhishek Ray served as an independent visiting faculty at the National Institute of Fashion Technology, Kolkata.
- According to Abhishek Ray, his paternal family includes sports staunch academician, chartered accountant and barrister, while his maternal grandparents are a well-known North Kolkata landlord.
- In August 2014, Abhishek Ray started working as an Executive Design Head at Bridal and Trousseau Ruceru Couture Private Limited, Kolkata – IndiaMART, and he worked in this position till October 2016.
- In July 2014, Abhishek Ray started his own venture named
- In May 2017, Abhishek Ray started working as a freelance guest faculty In Indore, Bhopal and Kolkata branches of INIFD, and he served in this position till May 2018.
- Talking to a media house, Abhishek Ray said that he is inspired by the work of Alexander McQueen, John Galliano and Sabyasachi in the fashion industry.
- In July 2019, Abhishek Ray joined Amity University’s Department of Fashion Technology in Kolkata as Adjunct Faculty.
- Abhishek Ray often sells his clothing brands through Lakme and Wills Fashion Week. Right from his childhood, he aspired to be a fashion designer and loved the outfits and dressing styles of veteran Indian actresses such as Sharmila Tagore, Helen, and point. In a media interview, Abhishek Ray said that he used to help his school friends in designing his ethnic attire. he said,
The vampires of Indian cinema like Helen, Bindu and Aruna Irani fascinated me as much as Sharmila Tagore, with a certain urbanity and chicness. Suchitra Sen was another classy actress who knew how to wear them. I also used to help my school friends in designing their ethnic wears.”
- Abhishek Ray and Chaitanya Sharma were friends on Facebook for a long time before meeting each other in 2020.
- After the Covid 19 lockdown in India was unlocked, Abhishek Ray and Chaitanya Sharma planned a trip to Agra, where Chaitanya proposed to Abhishek in front of the Tak Mahal for the wedding. Talking to the media, Abhishek Ray talked about his excitement on Proposal Day. he said,
We traveled to Agra, where he proposed to me, very filmy The road is right in front of the Taj Mahal. Because, casually, I told him that I am a very Bollywood person and it was my dream to see the Taj Mahal with my partner. ,
- During their wedding ceremony on 3 July 2022, Abhishek Ray wore a dhoti-kurta and dressed like a traditional Bengali groom and his partner Chaitanya Sharma wore a sherwani. Chaitanya Sharma is a digital marketer who works in a private company in Gurugram, India.
- In an interview with a media house, Abhishek Ray said that he himself cannot get legally married as same-sex marriage was not legally recognized in India. he said,
I like to call it a wedding ceremony. I can’t call myself legally married but yes, I am Married and Chaitanya Is my husband.”
In the same conversation, her partner Chaitanya Sharma said that she feels blessed and lucky to be with her husband and life partner Abhishek Ray. He further urged every member of the LGBTQ+ community to overcome challenges with confidence. Chaitanya said,
I feel blessed and fortunate to have Abhishek as my husband, life partner and best friend. He is a very kind and wonderful person. What else can I expect from a partner?”
- According to Abhishek Ray, the biggest challenge in arranging their marriage was finding pandits from Bengali and Marwari cultures.
- Abhishek Ray is quite active on various social media platforms under the name ‘abhishekraycreations’. His Facebook page is followed by more than 13k people and his Instagram handle is followed by more than 3k people. Abhishek Ray often shares pictures and videos of his clothing creations on social media. These dresses are endorsed by famous Indian models and actors.