Height: 5′ 8″
Age: 44 Years
Hometown: Puri, Odisha
Some lesser known facts about Anil Gochikaro
- Anil Gochikar is an Indian bodybuilder who represented India at international level. He is 7 times Mr Odisha, 3 times Eastern India Champion and 4 times Mr India winner. He is the ‘Pratihari’ (servant) of the Puri Jagannath Temple.
- He was born and brought up in Harchandi Shahi, Puri, Odisha, India.
- He started going to the akhadas at a very young age.
- His family has been serving as the servants of the Puri Jagannath Temple for many generations.
- In an interview, he said that he was a vegetarian and revealed his daily diet which includes 4 to 5 liters of milk, 2 to 2.5 kg of fruits and 500 grams of paneer.
- He learned bodybuilding skills from his brother Damodar Gochikar, who is a national level bodybuilder.
- In 2009, Anil started working out in the gym, and in 2010, his brother Damodar Gochikar opened a gym named Gochikar Lifestyle – GYM in Puri, where Anil Gochikar began to tone his body.
- In an interview, Anil talked about his brother Damodar Gochikar who inspired him to learn bodybuilding skills and said,
My brother is my hero. He is a true fighter and perfect all rounder. He was a champion when he was on stage. Even when he quit bodybuilding and took up family responsibilities, he continues to rock. From day one he has been my guide, my mentor, my friend, everything. Under his guidance, I learned everything about body building. He still continues to coach me and he will always be there for me. I know this for sure.”
- His father, Harihar Gochikar, runs a hotel named Hotel Gochikar in Puri, Odisha.
- In 2006, his father passed away, and Anil had to take up family responsibilities along with his brother. Reportedly, after the demise of their father, there was a property dispute in the family which prompted both the brothers to pursue law degrees.
- In 2012, he participated in Mr. Odisha 50th Senior State Body Building Championship; This was his first participation in a bodybuilding program. Reportedly, he had to go through the entire race to lose 400 grams of his body weight to participate in the event as the required body weight limit was 65 kg, while Anil’s weight at that time was 65.4 kg. He won gold in the event.
- In 2012, 2013 and 2014, he won consecutive gold medals in Mr. India bodybuilding competition.
- In 2012, he earned the title of ‘Emerged Champion of Champions’ in the 70 kg weight category at the 12th Eastern and North East India Bodybuilding Championships held in Bhubaneswar.
- In 2014, he won bronze in the 70 kg weight category at the World Bodybuilding Championships held in Mumbai.
- In 2016, he won a gold medal in an international bodybuilding competition held in Dubai.
- In an interview, he talked about the disappointments he felt when no government official congratulated him for his achievements and his lack of support. he said,
The saddest, frustrating and upsetting part about this journey has been the lack of support and resources. All these years I have been doing things on my own. This is my family and they are the only ones who have fought to get me here. Government, union or council, no one ever stepped forward to help or support us. I got Odisha its first silver medal in 65kg category at Federation Cup in Ludhiana. I didn’t get any appreciation for it. Even after winning the International India 2016, I didn’t even get a call from the officials to at least congratulate me. They didn’t even support me to go and participate in that competition. It has been so consistent. They never respond, don’t support, don’t appreciate, absolutely nothing and it’s with every athlete and not just me. This is the biggest blow to us. It is an expensive profession. If there is no support, sooner or later athletes will get frustrated and drop out.”
- In 2017, he became the winner in Mr. Odisha Senior State Bodybuilding Championship.
- In the same year, he won the Mr. India title in the 65 kg weight category at the 10th Senior National Body-building Championships held in Gurugram, Haryana.
- In 2018, he won Gold in Mr. Odisha Senior State Bodybuilding Championship and Silver at Mr. India 2018 Championship.
- In 2019, he won a gold medal in the 70 kg weight category at the Mr India 2019 Championship.
- In 2020, a picture went viral in which Anil and his brother were seen pulling a chariot during the Jagannath Rath Yatra.
- In an interview, he talked about serving Lord Jagannath and said,
If this body does not come in the service of God, then what is the use of having this body?
- Anil Gochikar considers himself a pure vegetarian who never consumes alcohol and tobacco products.