Arunabh Kumar is an Indian web series director and IIT alumnus. He is the founder and former CEO of The Viral Fever (TVF) which is an OTT television channel. All his created shows have been positively reviewed by critics and he has also received Filmfare Award for his show Panchayat.
Arunabh Kumar was born on Sunday 26 November 1982.age 40 years; by 2021) Muzaffarpur, Bihar. He belonged to a middle-class family and spent his childhood in Muzaffarpur. His parents wanted him to get a better education and shifted to different cities for this endeavor. They moved to seven cities after which they settled in Jaipur, Rajasthan. There he studied at Vidyashram School. After this he went to Kota to study IIT JEE. He passed the exam and went to the Indian Institute of Technology in Kharagpur to pursue a B.Tech in Electrical Engineering.
Height (approx.): 5′ 6″
Weight (approx): 65 kg
Hair Color: black
Eye Colour: black
family and ethnicity
Arunabh Kumar belongs to a Hindu Family.
parents and siblings
He is the son of Prenshila Kumari who is a retired school principal.
His father is also a retired school principal and has two brothers.
wife and children
Arunabh met Shruti Ranjan in 2013 at IIT Bombay, where she was pursuing her Masters in Environmental Science. Both dated each other for a long time.
Shruti started her career as an RTT practitioner and now works as a Theta Healing Practitioner. After meeting Arunabh, she found her passion for photography and enjoys doing it in her spare time. In April 2020, they got engaged but their marriage was postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic. On 24 May 2022, the couple finally got married in a private ceremony surrounded by their close relatives and well-wishers.
After completing IIT, Arunabh Kumar began his career as a research assistant with the US Airforce at IIT Bombay in 2006. He didn’t like the job and left it. In an interview, he was asked why he left this job and he replied saying,
I think IIT is the time when I really started getting the point that there was such a thing as film, movie making… and I started enjoying it. That would be where I discovered my drive and interest in it. So you can say that IIT is the only time where I came to know that well, this is an interesting field and I might want to do that. Then I did a couple of internships too, but I figured let’s get to work. I took a job in the US Air Force because I was hired for a subject called Image Processing, but I left it after six months.
After leaving his engineering job, Arunabh joined Red Chillies Entertainment in 2017 as an assistant director. His job responsibilities here included running around, taking printouts and helping with everything.
He was also an assistant director in Farah Khan’s film Om Shanti Om, which starred Shah Rukh Khan. After this project, it was hard for him to find a stable job that would pay the bills. He tried his best to start his career in filmmaking, but they broke up after three years of struggle. So, he started shooting small AV and corporate films for builders and advertising agencies. This gave him a steady stream of income but he again tried his luck in filmmaking. He thought of starting his own TV show, The Engineer’s Diary, and sent an offer to MTV. However, the channel rejected it and thus they thought of going online through YouTube. Once he talked about this rejection and told how he started making his own TV shows. He said,
TVF didn’t really start with this rejection. TVF Media Labs was a company I started to produce branded content, and it was established a long time ago. It was started in 2010-11. Then, when I had enough money to support myself, I thought of making my own TV show. So it is a misconception that I started TVF because the show got rejected. I had TVF and I had a lot of money. In fact, TVF isn’t really a YouTube network, it’s a mother ship that I started. And after a year and a half when I had enough money, we intended to make some TV shows, which got rejected. And then I thought maybe I should try and put my show online. This is how TVF Online Network came into existence.
In 2019, he also co-founded Indusverse along with Alok Sharma and Saumin Patel and served as its CEO. The venture is dedicated to the creation of comic books that address contemporary issues in the society.
- In March 2017, an anonymous post with the title “The Indian Uber – that is TVF” was published on Medium. This anonymous post was written by a woman who had accused Arunabh of sexual harassment while working in TVF between 2014 and 2016. Following this post, more than 50 women came forward and accused him of sexual harassment. An FIR was registered against Arunabh on the basis of a third party complaint filed by a lawyer on 17 March 2017. Police registered a case against a woman in Mumbai on 29 March 2017 after she filed a complaint of molestation. After this another complaint was made. The addition of Arunabh as the CEO of TVF affected the image of the channel which was unacceptable by the investors. On 16 June 2017, Kumar resigned as CEO of TVF and handed over the charge to Dhaval Gusain.
Awards, Honors, Achievements
- In 2014 he was named Newsmaker of the Year by AFAQs.
- In 2014, he was also named the Men of the Year by Men’s World.
- In 2015, he made it to Fortune’s Top 40 Under 40 list.
- In 2015, he was included in the list of most influential young Indians by GQ magazine.
- In 2016, he appeared in the list of 10 Geniuses Who Redefined Creativity by Entrepreneurs.
- In 2016, he made it to the list of 40 Under Forty by The Economic Times.
- In 2021, he won four FlyX Filmfare OTT Awards 2020 for the first season of Panchayat.
Arunabh Kumar has an estimated net worth of $20 million. (Almost.)
- Meal: Malaysian Cuisine, Puri Chole
- Movies: Khosla Ka Ghosla, Shashank Redemption, Fight Club and It’s a Wonderful Life
- actor: Jerry Seinfeld, Aamir Khan, and Amitabh Bachchan
Facts / Trivia
- She played a small role as a transgender in the film Om Shanti Om.
- His shows including Kota Factory, Yeh Meri Family and Gullak have been rated 9+ out of 10 by IMDb.
- He along with his family runs an NGO by the name of Masterji Foundation which works in the field of education.
- In 2020, due to depression, he was diagnosed with partial blindness in his right eye.