Age: 54 Years
Wife: Sonal Chauhan
Education: Postgraduate Diploma in Business Management
Some lesser known facts about Ashish Chauhan
- Ashish Chauhan is an Indian business executive who is elected as the Managing Director and CEO of the National Stock Exchange (NSE) after receiving approval from the Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI).
- He is the Chancellor of Allahabad University, the Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) and a member of the Governing Council of IIM Raipur.
- He is considered the father of modern financial derivatives in India. He is also known for his expertise in financial market policies, information technology, organized retail, telecommunications and Indian social issues.
- While studying at the Indian Institute of Management, Calcutta, he was recruited as an officer by the Industrial Development Bank of India (IDBI) in 1991.
- In 1993, he started working as the Vice Chairman of the National Stock Exchange (NSE). He contributed in building the trading infrastructure in NSE and NSE-50 (Nifty). He also helped set up information technology infrastructure where he built the first commercial satellite telecommunications network in India for NSE. He also conceptualized National Securities Clearing Corporation (NSCCL) and National Securities Depository Limited (NSDL).
- In 2001, he started working in exchangenext.com, a company financed by the Reliance Group. In 2004, he became the Chief Information Officer (CIO) of Reliance Infocomm and in 2015, he became the Reliance Group CIO. In 2001, he also became the CEO of the cricket team Mumbai Indians.
- In 2009, he left Reliance Industries and joined Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) as Deputy CEO. In 2012, he became the CEO of BSE. He contributed to making BSE the fastest exchange in the world and introduced mobile trading. He further brought equities, currency, interest rate derivatives and commodities to the BSE. In 2012, due to Ashish’s contribution, BSE became the first exchange in the country to launch an SME platform for listing of Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs). In 2013, he developed BSE Star MF, a mutual fund distribution platform. In 2018, it became India’s largest digital platform distributing mutual funds.
- In 2017, he founded India’s first international exchange ‘India International Exchange’ inaugurated by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi,
- In January 2017, he completed the BSE IPO which was pending for ten years.
- When the stock exchange’s growth was noted in 2013, there was a considerable improvement since 1875. In an interview, Ashish talked about growth and said,
You see BSE as a stock exchange which is 137 years old. I see it as a new company that only got demutualized in 2007. We have a new management who is running this business professionally. And the results are showing.”
- In June 2021, he was appointed as the Chancellor of Allahabad University.
- In an interview, he said that when he was eleven, his family members thought that he would become a monk because he was very handsome.
- He attended a Gujarati medium school, due to which he faced a language barrier while studying at IIT Mumbai. He used a dictionary as a teacher and learned English.
- In an interview, he said that he worked more than sixteen hours a day. Talking about this he said,
I start my day with puja and end the day with puja and meditation. This is a very personal puja, which is part of my family tradition. My work starts at 7 in the morning and I retire around 11 in the day.”