Asin Thottumkal is a former Indian actress who has worked predominantly in Tamil, Telugu and Bollywood films. Asin is known for playing the dual role of Kodhai and Andal Kamala hasan Starter Dashavataram. She appeared in the Tamil thriller Ghajini, where she played Kalpana, a struggling model. Appeared in the Hindi remake of Ghajini starring Asin Aamir Khan,
Asin Thottumkal was born on Saturday, 26 October 1985.age 36 years; by 2021) in Cochin, Kerala, India. His zodiac sign is Scorpio. He completed his matriculation from Naval Public School, Cochin. Asin actively participated in literary competitions during her school days. She went to St. Theresa’s Higher Secondary School and opted for Humanities for higher studies. Asin received her Bachelor of Arts degree in English Literature from St. Teresa’s College, Kochi.
Height (approx.): 5′ 4″
Weight (approx): 58 kg
Hair Color: black
Eye Colour: black
Body Measurements (Approximately): 34-28-34
Asin belongs to a Malayali Catholic family.
parents and siblings
Asin’s father’s name is Joseph Thottumkal, an ex-CBI officer who is now a businessman and mainly deals in furniture and antiques.
His mother’s name is Dr. Celine Thottumkal, who is a surgeon by profession.
husband and children
On 19 January 2016, Asin Thottumkal married Micromax co-founder Rahul Sharma in a post-Christian ceremony in a Hindu ceremony.
The couple has a daughter, Arin Sharma, who was born on 24 October 2017.
relationships / affairs
Reportedly, it was rumored that Asin and Salman Khan had come close during the shooting of their film London Dreams. However, Asin denied any romantic relationship with her co-star Salman and revealed in an interview,
Everyone knows that there was no truth in these rumours. These rumors started during ‘London Dreams’. However, I would like to clarify that I am single and not in any relationship and hence I feel such rumours are strong.
There were rumors of a link-up between Asin and MS Dhoni. The two did a commercial ad together for Big Bazaar. The rumors of their being in a relationship surfaced when Dhoni was seen leaving Asin’s house in Lokhandwala in 2010.
In 2001, at the age of 15, Asin made her acting debut in the Malayalam comedy drama Narendran Makan Jayakantan Vaka.
In 2003, Asin made her Telugu debut with the film Amma Nanna O Tamila Ammayi. In 2004, she made her debut in Tamil cinema with the Tamil film M. Kumaran s/o Mahalakshmi. After her debut in the Telugu film industry, Asin worked with Nagarjuna, Lakshmi Narasimha and Gharana in Sivamani. In 2005, Asin appeared in the film Ghajini, co-starring Suriya, which proved to be the turning point of her career. She appeared in the movies, Sivakasi and Maza in the same year. In 2006, Asin had two releases Varalaru and Annavaram. His next release was Aalvar Aur Pokkiri in 2007. Pokkiri was a hit and her role as a TV anchor was appreciated by the audience.
In 2008, Asin’s next film Dashavataram starring Kamal Haasan was released.
Asin made a huge impact with her performances in dual roles, Kodhai and Andal. After a successful career in the Tamil film industry, Asin made her Bollywood debut in 2008 with the remake of her blockbuster Tamil film Ghajini of the same name. Ghajini became the first Bollywood film of 2008 to collect more than ₹1 billion at the domestic box office.
In 2011, his next release was Kavalan. Asin appeared in her next film Ready, opposite Salman Khan, which became the fifth Bollywood film to cross ₹1 billion at the domestic box office. In 2012, Asin appeared in Housefull 2, Bol Bachchan and Khiladi 786. In 2015, Asin appeared in her next film, All Is Well. Abhishek Bacchan After which he retired from his acting career.
Asin has appeared in several commercial commercials like Mirinda, Fairever, Colgate, Clinique All Clear, Lux, Tanishq, Tata Sky, Big Bazaar and Parachute Coconut Oil.
Asin blacklisted from South Indian cinema
Asin attended camps to help Sri Lankan Tamil people who were affected by the Sri Lankan Civil War while shooting for her film Ready in Sri Lanka with Salman Khan. But, his generous act was sharply criticized. The Tamil industry boycotted Sri Lanka due to the inhuman treatment received by Tamil refugees in the country. As a result, the South Indian Film Artistes Association (SIFAA) issued a statement warning celebrities against attending IIFA in Colombo, Sri Lanka. Being from the Tamil film industry, Asin was warned to withdraw from her film Ready as the shooting of the film was scheduled in Sri Lanka. But, Asin continued with her shoots because of her professional commitment. As a result, it was announced that she would not be allowed to shoot in Tamil Nadu and she was unofficially blacklisted from South Indian films. In an interview she said,
Cricketers were going there and no one objecting, traders were going and no one was protesting, tourists were going and no one was criticizing but only actors being threatened with punishment for going to Sri Lanka Was. Instead of boycotting Sri Lanka, more and more people from Tamil Nadu film industry should visit Sri Lanka and express solidarity with the people.
Asin greets with black flag
Asin, who went to Mettupalayam to shoot for her film Kaavalan, was greeted with a black flag by activists of the pro-Tamil outfit Periyar Dravida Kazhagam (PDK). The members gathered together on location and showcased Asin’s visit to Sri Lanka to shoot his film Ready.
- 2003 – Best Actress Telugu Award for Amma Nanna O Tamila Ammayi at Filmfare Awards South.
- 2003 – Best Actress for Sivamani at Santosham Film Awards.
- 2005 – Best Actress Tamil Award for Ghajini at Filmfare Awards South.
- 2008 – Best Actress for Dashavatharam at the International Tamil Film Awards.
- 2009- Most prestigious Kalimamani Award by the Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu for excellence in the field of art and literature.
- 2009 – Star Debut of the Year – Female for Ghajini at IIFA.
- 2009 – Superstar of Tomorrow – Female for Ghajini at Stardust Awards.
- 2009- Gr8! Female Achiever Award in Cinema at the Indian Television Academy Awards.
- 2009 – Most Promising Newcomer-Female for Ghajini at Screen Awards.
- 2012 – Best Actress for Kavalan at South Indian International Movie Awards.
- 2012- Pride of Kerala Award at Asianet Film Awards.
- 2013- Gr8! Female Achiever Award in Cinema at the Indian Television Academy Awards.
- 2013 – Pride of South Indian Cinema at the South Indian International Movie Awards.
- 2014- Youth Icon of South Indian Cinema at South Indian International Movie Awards.
- 2015- Most Popular Actress Middle East at South Indian International Movie Awards.
Asin owns a Toyota Camry premium saloon and an Audi Q7 SUV.
- Meal: Appam, Prawn and Rice
- actor: Akshay Kumar, Mohanlal
- Poet: William Shakespeare
Facts / Trivia
- Asin has the prowess to learn new languages and can currently speak nine languages including Malayalam, Tamil, Telugu, Hindi, French, English, Italian, German and Spanish.
- Asin is a trained Bharatnatyam dancer.
- As per custom, earlier Asin was to be named Mary after her grandmother, but later her father named her Asin, which means pure.
- Asin made her place in the Times 50 Most Desirable Women for three consecutive years, 2011, 2012 and 2013.
- According to a survey conducted by Shaadi.com, 49% of women voted Asin as the ‘most eligible single’.
- Asin is known by the media as the “Queen of Kollywood” after her huge success and contribution to Tamil cinema.
- Asin’s father was with her during the initial days of the shooting. Reportedly, it was rumored that her co-stars did not favor her father for frequent visits to the sets. In an interview she said,
It’s not like my father is always roaming around on the sets. For one of the foreign shows, he was with me, but that was about it. I don’t know why people make such a big fuss about bringing my dad. This is completely fabricated bullshit.”
- Asin’s first assignment was a commercial advertisement for BPL Mobile.
- Asin has a farmhouse in Kerala and an apartment in Toronto, Canada.
- Asin set up a trust at the Sirilia Sevana Ghar in Vavuniya, where a total of 150 children aged 1-16 years were adopted or sponsored by his trust.
- Asin has been a part of the 100 crore club with her four films Ghajini (2008), Ready (2011), Housefull 2 (2012) and Bol Bachchan (2012).
- Reportedly, Asin’s engagement ring is estimated to be worth around ₹6 crore, which has the initials of both of them engraved on it.
- Asin has featured in magazine covers like Vogue, Femina, Cosmopolitan, Filmfare, Verve and many more.