Wife: N Sikki Reddy
Hometown: Ranga Reddy, Telangana
Age: 30 Years
Some lesser known facts about B Sumeeth Reddy
- Sumeeth Reddy is an Indian badminton player and an Inspector in the Income Tax Department. He mainly plays in men’s doubles and mixed doubles category. In 2016, he represented India in the men’s doubles category along with Manu Attri at the Rio Summer Olympics.
- His father started training for badminton in his childhood. His father was an athlete, so he wanted Sumeet to pursue a career in sports.
- In 2001, his father asked him to join a badminton training center in Hyderabad. He joined a badminton academy and participated in various inter-school badminton competitions.
- In 2007, he participated in the Asian Junior Championships in Men’s Singles category and won various medals.
- He suffered a serious back injury in 2011, and after a full diagnosis by doctors, it was discovered that he had a spinal deformity. The doctors then advised her on bed rest for three weeks and even asked her to quit badminton. Recalling those days in an interview, Sumeet said,
It was 2010-2011, I was a top 5 Indian player in men’s singles. One day my back hurt and it was discovered that air bubbles had formed in the bones of my spine. I was told to leave the game. I consulted about 10 doctors but no one could give me any solution. I lay in bed for about 20 days. I had to resort to even going to the washroom and there was a fear of paralysis in the lower part of the body but I was not ready to leave. After a few weeks, I started trying things out. Every day I tried a new method. I tried Ayurvedic and everything possible and slowly found a way out. Eventually rehabilitation, exercise and following a strict regime helped. I had to give up singles but after 3-4 years I felt that I was getting better.”
- In 2012, he represented India in the men’s singles category in the China Super Series, but due to his medical condition, he shifted to the doubles category in further matches. He then partnered with T. Hema Nagendra Babu for the men’s doubles category, but the partnership was not very successful. In 2013, he teamed up with Manu Attri, and their partnership did well in the matches. The pair won several medals in the men’s doubles category.
- Sumeet has participated in many badminton tournaments such as:
- JP Cup Syed Modi Memorial India Grand Prix 2009
- India Grand Prix 2010
- ONEX – Sunrise Syed Modi Memorial India Open Grand Prix Gold 2011
- Tata Open India International Challenge 2011
- Bahrain International Challenge 2011
- Martyr Dr KL Garg – Syed Modi International India GPG 2012
- Kumpu Macau Open Badminton Grand Prix Gold 2012
- Yonex Sunrise Hong Kong Open 2013
- Yonex-Sunrise Hong Kong Open 2014
- 2015 K&D Graphics / Yonex Grand Prix
- Yonex Sunrise Hong Kong Open 2016
- Rio Summer Olympics 2016
- Tata Open India International Challenge 2017
- Syed Modi International Badminton Championship 2018
- Infosys Foundation – India International Challenge 2019
- TotalEnergy BWF World Championship 2021
- Daihatsu Indonesia Masters 2021 (New Dates)
- Korea Open Badminton Championship 2022
- Odisha Open 2022
- Commonwealth Games 2022
- In 2013, he was appointed as Inspector of Income Tax in Income Tax Department, Hyderabad.
- In 2019, B Sumeeth Reddy married his longtime girlfriend N Sikki Reddy, who is also a badminton player. When Reddy was 10 years old, he first met Sikki at a badminton summer camp. In an interview, Sikki shared his love story, he said,
I was in class 8th and he was in class 10th. My parents also came to know about it. But when I turned down his offer, he stopped talking to me. Later when I got hurt, he started talking to me again. It was his concern for me during that difficult period that drew me to him. He kept on proposing but I still took my time. Eventually, he stopped answering my calls and started hanging out with other girls, and to be honest, it made me very jealous (smiles). I finally accepted his offer when I was in graduation.
- In an interview, B Sumeeth Reddy talks about his ideals and his toughest competitor. he said,
My idols are my father, Gopi Chand and Lin Dan. I had the toughest match with a badminton player from Kai Yun, China. ,