Age: 28 Years
Wife: Sangeeta Phogta
Hometown: Jhajjar, Haryana
Some lesser known facts about Bajrang Punia
- Bajrang Punia is a famous Indian freestyle wrestler. In 2021, he came into limelight after winning a bronze medal at the Tokyo Olympics 2020 in the 65 kg wrestling category.
- According to Bajrang Punia, he started practicing wrestling at the age of seven. His father encouraged him to take up wrestling as a career. Since he had a good athletic physique, he wanted to participate in sports, but his family did not have enough money to enroll in sports academies for training. This inspired him to participate in free sports like wrestling and kabaddi.
- Bajrang’s father and elder brother were once famous wrestlers, who enrolled him in a local wrestling school. Bajrang used to drop out of school to practice wrestling. In 2008, he joined Chhatarsal Stadium, where he received wrestling training from Ramphal Mann.
- In 2013, Bajrang participated in the Asian Wrestling Championships, his first international tournament, and won a bronze medal for India. After this he participated in many wrestling championships including Commonwealth Games, Asian Games and many national and international tournaments and won many medals.
- After winning several medals for India, the Government of India posted him as a Gazetted Officer in OSD Sports in the Indian Railways.
- In a conversation with a media house, Bajrang Punia once revealed that he enjoys getting knowledge from the elders of his village.
- In 2015, his family shifted to Sonepat, where he was enrolled at a regional center of the Sports Authority of India (SAI).
- According to Bajrang’s family members, he was named after an Indian deity Lord Hanuman as Bajrang was born on Tuesday, which is considered an auspicious day to worship Lord Hanuman.
- Apart from wrestling, Bajrang loves to play basketball and football.
- Bajrang likes to dance in his spare time.
- According to Bajrang Punia, before becoming a professional wrestler, he used to participate in many local wrestling competitions to earn money.
- Famous Indian wrestler is Bajrang’s personal coach Yogeshwar DuttAnd Bajrang wants to be like Yogeshwar Dutt.
- Bajrang became the first Indian wrestler to win a gold medal for India at the 2017 Asian Games.
- In 2018, Bajrang Punia won a silver medal at the 2018 World Wrestling Championship and on this victory, he was recognized as the World No. 1 in the 65 kg category.
- Bajrang Punia won the gold medal in the Wrestling Championship at the Dan Kolov-Nikola Petrov tournament in Russe, Bulgaria and dedicated the medal to the Indian Air Force (IAF) Wing Commander.
- Bajrang Punia and his fellow wrestlers on 25 November 2020, Sangeeta Phogat The marriage took place in Balali village of Haryana. Soon after his wedding, he posted a heartfelt note and a picture from his wedding with Sangeeta on his Instagram account. He wrote,
Today I have chosen my life partner and it feels like I have got another family. I am starting a new chapter in my life and I am both happy and excited for the journey ahead. Thank you for your love and well wishes.”
- Soon after winning the bronze medal at the 2020 Tokyo Summer Olympics, Bajrang was awarded ₹30 lakh (US$39,000) from the Government of India, ₹2.5 crore (US$330,000), ₹25 lakh (US$33,000) from the Government of Haryana Gone. ₹25 lakh (US$33,000) from the Board of Control for Cricket in India, and the Indian Olympic Association.
- Bajrang is quite active on various social media platforms. He often shares pictures and videos on social media. His Instagram account is followed by more than 539k people. He is followed by more than 761k people on Facebook. His Twitter handle is followed by more than 323k people.