Balwant Singh Rajoana is a former Punjab Police constable and Babbar Khalsa supporter who is infamous for his conviction in the assassination of former Punjab Chief Minister Beant Singh. Rajoana was sentenced to death by a special CBI court in Chandigarh on 1 August 2007.
Balwant Singh Rajoana was born on Wednesday 23 August 1967.Age 55 years, as on 2022) was born in Rajoana Kalan in Ludhiana district of Punjab. His zodiac sign is Virgo. He studied till class XI in the local village and was then enlisted in the college for further studies. As a part of the government’s welfare scheme, Balwant Singh was given a job as a constable in the Punjab Police in 1987 after his father was killed by some terrorists. In 1993, Rajoana was deputed as a private security officer along with a journalist of a local daily in Patiala.
Height (approx.): 5′ 11″
Hair Color: salt pepper
Eye Colour: black
parents and siblings
Rajoana’s father Malkit Singh was a soldier and the sarpanch of Rajoana Kalan was killed by the terrorists. Apparently, the terrorists came from the brother of Malkit Singh, who also served as the village’s sarpanch. Malkit Singh was shot dead while trying to stop a terrorist. Rajoana’s mother’s name is Gurmeet Kaur. His elder brother’s name is Kulwant Singh.
He was legally adopted by Jaswant Singh in 1993 after the death of his own father Malkit Singh. His foster parents, Jaswant Singh and Surjit Kaur, lost their daughter, Amandeep Kaur, and son, Harpinder Singh Goldie, during a rebellion in Punjab in the mid-1980s. Reportedly, Amandeep and Harpinder were kidnapped and murdered by the Punjab Police. Surjit Kaur died in 2013 after being electrocuted by a faulty electric fan. Jaswant Singh passed away on 22 January 2022. His foster sister’s name is Kamaldeep Kaur.
She is unmarried.
Humiliation during the rebellion in Punjab
In October 1991, Balwant Singh Rajoana’s foster sister Amandeep Kaur was kidnapped from the office of the sub-registrar, Rampura Phool, where she was on her way to register her marriage with her father and husband. He was then taken to Phool police station where SSP Kahlon was in-charge. In the police station, all three were tortured by making them naked in front of each other, slapping each other, looting all their jewelry and cash. Amandeep Kaur was sexually assaulted while she was illegally detained. Meanwhile, her mother Surjit Kaur is kidnapped, raped and illegally detained at the Rampura police station. Her husband left her after she was released from the police station. Thereafter, she was on the run from SSP Kahlon to avoid further humiliation and torture. She remained in hiding until 21 January 1992, when she was tricked into returning home, where she was shot and killed. The committee’s documents revealed that the police had picked them up in search of the couple’s son Harpinder Singh Goldie, who had gone underground after being harassed by the police.
murder of beant singh
On 31 August 1995, Beant Singh was assassinated in a bomb blast in the Secretariat complex in Chandigarh, which blew away his bulletproof. In this blast, 17 others including 3 Indian commandos lost their lives. Beant Singh was with his close friend Ranjodh Singh Mann on the day of the murder. Dilawar Singh Babbar of Babbar Khalsa International acted as the suicide bomber and Rajoana acted as the backup bomber. Balwant and Dilawar tossed a coin to decide who would become the human bomb.
On 25 December 1997, Balwant Singh Rajoana confessed his hand in the murder of Beant Singh in the temporary court of Burail Jail, Chandigarh. Before becoming silent, he raised pro-Khalistan slogans,
Khalistan Zindabad, Bhai Dilawar Singh Zindabad!
His confession took prison officials and journalists by surprise, who then asked Rajoana, “Why would anyone want to lay down their lives at such a time?” To which Rajoana replied,
Tusi ki jaano dosti kinj nebhai zinda hai (How do you know how to live friendship)?”
Apparently, when Dilawar Singh won the fatal toss and prepared to lose his life, he asked Balwant Singh to confess his hand. In his testimony, Balwant Singh revealed that he had tied a belt containing explosives around Dilawar Singh, the killer of Beant Singh. Rajoana defended his actions, saying that the government had inflicted a deep wound on the Sikh psyche due to dubious methods to dismantle the Khalistan movement, including Operation Blue Star. He spoke of the consequences of Indira Gandhi’s assassination when Sikhs were burnt, denied funeral rites, and stripped and women were humiliated. Rajoana asked the Chief Justice,
Who were the terrorists: who committed these acts or who defended the victims?…Man can fight such injustice and oppression only by becoming a human bomb and sacrificing himself. ,
Subsequently, he alleged that Beant Singh, a member of the Congress party, had sanctioned fake encounter killings, kidnappings and secret cremations, which remained without punishment. Further, he said that the government had mocked the sentiments of the Sikh community by honoring and encouraging those who led such genocide against the Sikhs.
On August 1, 2007, a special CBI court had sentenced Rajoana to death in the Beant Singh case. Rajoana was jailed at the Patiala Central Jail after a Chandigarh court issued a death warrant to the Patiala Jail authorities to execute Rajoana as scheduled on 31 March 2012. The Death Warrant sparked protests among Sikh communities around the world.
Although Rajoana did not file a mercy petition of his own, in 2012 the Shiromani Gurdwara Prabandhak Committee (SGPC) filed a petition before President Pratibha Patil to quash his death sentence. Rajoana’s execution, which was to take place in Patiala Central Jail on 31 March 2012, was put on hold after Punjab CM Parkash Singh Badal sought clemency for Rajoana after meeting Pratibha Patil. In a letter released from jail, he criticized the Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD)-led Punjab government for its effort to save his life. He said the SAD leader was a traitor and did not fight for justice for the Sikhs killed in the riots after the assassination of then PM Indira Gandhi in 1984. He refused to sympathize with the BJP, Congress leader Capt Amarinder Singh and Beant Singh’s family, who had said that Rajoana should not be hanged. In May 2022, the SC directed the Center to decide within two months on Rajoana’s plea that his death sentence be commuted to life imprisonment on the basis of a longer term of nearly 26 years.
A staunch follower of Sikhism, Rajoana was baptized (Amrit Sanchar) in Patiala Central Jail in the presence of Akal Takht Jathedar while he was on death row in connection with the assassination of late CM Beant Singh.
Balwant Singh Rajoana is politically inclined towards the Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) and strongly opposes the Indian National Congress (INC). In his address at Gurdwara Baba Deep Singh in Ludhiana, where he was attending his father’s funeral, he supported the SAD-BJP alliance in Punjab for the 2019 Lok Sabha elections and said,
My soul is Akali, my pulse is Akali, I am Akali… this earth te government Akali…
(My soul is Akali, my heart is Akali, I am Akali.. There should be an Akali government on this earth)
He also added,
Akali Dal is our own party and it is the representative of our sect. End Congress rule.
Facts / Trivia
- Of all the people convicted in this case, Balwant Singh had confessed his crime. He refused to contest the prosecution’s charges, challenge his evidence, hire a lawyer, or accept a court-appointed lawyer.
- Balwant Singh donated his eyes to Lakhwinder Singh (Ragi at Golden Temple Amritsar) and his kidney, heart or any other body part to needy patients in his will.
- He is an avid reader and follower of Punjabi literature. Surjit Patar and Jaswant Singh Kanwal are his favorite writers.
- Akal Takht leader Gurbachan Singh had given clothes to Rajoana to wear during the execution. However, when his death sentence was stayed, he returned the clothes.
- On 23 March 2012, Rajoana was conferred the title of “Living Martyr” by the Akal Takht, the highest temporary seat of the Khalsa. After refusing to accept it for some time, Rajoana accepted the tile dated 27 March 2022. Meanwhile, Babbar was honored with the title of “National Martyr” by Dilawar Singh Akal Takht.
- On 31 January 2022, he was escorted by the police to attend his father’s funeral in Ludhiana, after permission was granted by the Punjab and Haryana High Court.
- In December 2015, Rajoana made headlines when she along with Kanwar Sandhu, a senior journalist, controversially assaulted sacked constable Gurmeet Singh Pinky, when the latter tried to meet her in the Patiala jail premises for an interview. . Apparently, Rajoana blames Sandhu for his abusive behavior and leveled baseless allegations at Pinky’s behest. Earlier, Sandhu, who ran the Free Media Initiative, took a long interview of Pinky. In the interview, Pinky alleged that Rajoana had called her to Burail Jail in Chandigarh and informed her that Jagtar Singh Hawara and others involved in Beant Singh’s murder were planning to escape, for which RDX was smuggled into the jail. Taxes were brought. He said that on the information given by Rajoana, the RDX was recovered and the escape plan was foiled.