Bhagwani Devi is an Indian athlete known for participating in several Masters Athletics Championships. In July 2022, he made headlines for winning three medals at the World Masters Athletics Championships in Finland.
Bhagwani Devi Dagar was born in 1928.age 94 years; by 2022) in the Punjab Province, British India (now Haryana, India).
Height (approx.): 5′ 5″
Hair Color: salt and pepper
Eye Colour: dark brown
parents and siblings
Not much is known about his parents or siblings.
wife and children
His marital status is unknown. He has a son. His grandson, Vikas Dagar, is a para-athlete and recipient of the prestigious Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award.
Bhagwani Devi told in an interview that she started her athletic career in early 2022. He further said that he started practicing with the help of his grandson Vikas Dagar. In the same year, Bhagwani Devi participated in the Delhi State Masters Athletics Meet. In the competition, she managed to bag three gold medals in the 100 m dash, javelin throw and shoot put.
In May 2022, while participating in the 42nd National Masters Athletics Championships in Chennai, she once again won three gold medals in the 100 m sprint, shot put and javelin throw. Following her back-to-back victories on the field, the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports (MYAS) selected Bhagwan Devi as one of the athletes to represent India at the World Masters Athletics Championships in Finland.
From 29 June 2022 to 10 July 2022, Bhagwani Devi participated in an athletic competition held in Tampere, Finland. In the competition, she managed to bag one gold in the 100 m sprint race and two bronze medals in shotput and javelin throw. She managed to complete her 100m sprint race in 24.74 seconds.
94 year old from India #god goddess Ji has once again proved that age is no bar!
He won the gold medal in #WorldMastersAthleticsChampionships He clocked 24.74 seconds in the 100m sprint event in Tampere. He also won bronze in shot put.
Really commendable effort!👏 pic.twitter.com/Qa1tI4a8zS
– Sports Department MYAS (@IndiaSports) 11 July 2022
Vikas Dagar while giving an interview said that Bhagwani Devi will participate in the World Masters Indoor Athletics Championship 2023 in Torun, Poland.
Facts / Trivia
- After returning to India from Finland, Bhagwan Devi said in an interview that her age does not hold her back and she would like to win more medals for the country by representing India more in such athletic championships.
- In an interview to Aaj Tak, his grandson claimed that he had no idea at first that his grandmother was interested in the sport, until one night he asked her to give him his shot put, with which he practiced . In his interview, Vikas told the media,
One night my grandmother asked me for my shot put. When I handed him the ball, he didn’t show any promising performance, maybe it was because of darkness. But in the morning he woke me up and asked for the ball once again. That’s when I came to know about his interest in sports. After that I took him out on the field and started preparing him for practice.”
- Bhagwani Devi claimed in an interview that she used to walk for three kilometers every day, to be able to participate in athletic championships. He told the media in an interview,
I walk 3 km daily. I also climb the stairs in my house to the third floor, all because I can be in a position in which I can participate in such competitions. ,
- In 2022, following his victory at the World Masters Athletics Championships in Finland, the non-age athlete was greeted and welcomed by a number of famous personalities.
Complete monthly routine all over the world at the age of 94.
Globals Globals have the same properties as globals in globals.
The whole task is completed in the work you are doing. pic.twitter.com/qEvyJxcBhC
— Manohar Lal (@mlkhattar) 11 July 2022