Education: Specialization in Acting
Hometown: Sumbal, Jammu and Kashmir
Caste: Kashmiri Pandit
Some lesser known facts about Bhasha Sumbali
- Bhasha Sumbali is an Indian theater artist, actor and theater drama director.
- He was brought to the migrant camp of Kashmiri Pandit in Delhi. Talking about living in such camps, he said in an interview,
I was a child when my parents were forced to leave Kashmir like the rest of the community. We used to live in a camp in Delhi. Life there was full of sorrows. There was a constant fight for bread and blankets. I remember one time my elderly grandfather almost had to wrestle with a young man for a blanket. Too bad… that sorrow is left with us.”
- He started writing theater plays at a very young age. His first theater play as a writer was at the age of 15. Some of his plays were published in various national magazines.
- While she was studying at NSD, she wrote some articles on ancient and popular theater forms which were published in NSD magazine under the name “Rang Prasad”. In an interview, he talked about studying in NSD. He said,
We are left with little to wish for as our faculty consists of experienced artists who can handle the need for anything, before we even realize it. We have much more than what we can ask for and I can safely say that we have the best campus and the best ambiance for any institution in Delhi and beyond.
- Bhasha has performed in various Hindi theater plays, including theater plays directed by renowned Kashmiri folk theater artist Motilal Khemu.
- In 2014, he was awarded the Inlax Theater Award for his acting skills.
- He has also worked as an acting consultant in some of the TV reality shows such as ‘India’s Best Dramebaaz 2’ (2015) and ‘Sabse Bada Artist’ (2017).
- Bhasha has organized various acting seminars and workshops for budding actors.
- Sumbali has also acted in some Hindi TV serials. In the early years of her acting career, she appeared in a few episodes of the Doordarshan TV serial ‘Ek Tha Rusty’. After this he worked in Sony channel’s TV serial ‘Mere Dad Ki Dulhan’ (2019).
- In 2021, he mentored the IPL extravaganza talk show ‘Super Funde’, which was aired on Star Network.
- She came into limelight with her role as Sharda Pandit in the Hindi film ‘The Kashmir Files’ (2022). In an interview, he recalled his shooting days from the film and said,
This dastardly massacre has often been discussed in the house. When the scene of cutting me with a saw was being shot in the shooting, my health got very bad. I didn’t see the difference between reel and real life. My BP got low and I started having trouble breathing. After completing the scene, I sat in a corner. At the same time, another scene was being filmed, where people were being shot standing together. Vivek sir had cast Kashmiri Pandits there. When they were being shot, I started shouting there and started saying don’t kill my people. I forgot that acting was happening. The production team came to me and consoled me. Vivek sir also came. At that time I was not breathing, I had a panic attack. I could not understand how my life would be saved. Then I was sent back to the hotel. I stayed in the hotel room for three days and did not talk to anyone. However, after that I felt very embarrassed that how could I have such a breakdown despite being an acting coach. I couldn’t even make eye contact with the crew members. ,
- She likes to read books and paint in her spare time.
- Bhasha Sumbali is a religious person and has a deep faith in God.