Boria Majumdar is an Indian sports journalist, author and educationist. He is known for his in-depth knowledge of Indian cricket. He came to public attention after he threatened Indian wicketkeeper Wriddhiman Saha on social media.
Boria Majumdar was born on Monday 8 March 1976.age 46 years; by 2022) in Kolkata, West Bengal, India. Boria Majumdar completed his schooling from The Frank Anthony Public School, Kolkata. In 1997, he graduated in the field of History from the Presidency College, University of Calcutta. In 1999, Boria completed his post graduation in Modern History from the same college. In 2000, he was awarded a scholarship through a Rhodes Scholar and was then admitted to St John’s College, University of Oxford, where he completed his Doctorate of Philosophy (D.Phil) in Social History of Indian Cricket in 2004.
Boria Majumdar belongs to a Bengali family.
parents and siblings
Not much information is available regarding the name or profession of his parents.
He has a sister named Rochona Majumdar.
wife and children
His wife’s name is Sharmishtha Guptu, and she writes about the history of Indian cinema. The couple got married on 20 December 2004.
They have a daughter named Ayesha Gupta Majumdar. He was born in 2014.
He follows Hinduism.
He lives at 203/1, Bidhan Sarani, Kolkata, West Bengal – 700006.
an established academic
Boria Majumdar completed his D.Phil in 2004. His thesis, Twenty Two Yards to Freedom: A Social History of Indian Cricket, was nominated and published in the Oxford Monographs series. In the same year, his thesis was also published in India. After completing his doctoral studies, Boria briefly worked as a visiting professor at La Trobe University in Melbourne, Australia. Since 2003, Boria Mazumdar is working as a lecturer at the University of Chicago, United States. Boria, in 2019, was elected as a Senior Fellow Researcher at the School of Sport and Wellbeing at the University of Central Lancashire, England.
a famous writer
Boria Majumdar is a renowned author who has published several books on sports. In 2014, Boria co-wrote Sachin’s autobiography, titled Playing It My Way. The name of the book has been entered in the Limca Book of Records for the highest sales on the first day of launch.
Boria published his second book, Eleven Gods and a Billion Indians: The On and Off the Field Story of Cricket in India and Beyond. The book was published in 2018. Many eminent cricketers like Virat Kohli and Sourav Ganguly were present during the launch of the book.
Boria Majumdar wrote and published another book, 1971: The Beginning of India’s Cricketing Greatness, in April 2020.
In the same year, Boria published another book called Dreams of a Billion: India and the Olympic Games.
a respected sports journalist
Boria Mazumdar is a renowned sports journalist. He is famous not only in India but also outside India. Boria has interviewed many famous sports personalities like Mahendra Singh Dhoni, Sunil Gavaskar, Jhulan Goswami and Sourav Ganguly throughout his career.
Boria hosted the South Asian Diaspora Conference in Singapore in 2019, where he interviewed Rahul Dravid and Harbhajan Singh.
In 2020, he participated in the Jaipur Literature Fest, where he interviewed Deepa Malik, N Indian Paralympic Champion.
In 2020, Boria hosted India Today’s sports series titled Inspiration. In the series, he interviewed Virat Kohli, Hardik Pandya, Sania Mirza and Sachin Tendulkar.
In 2021, he hosted a talk show called Babumoshai, on which the invited panel discussed various topics while having their meal.
In 2022 Boria Majumdar was found guilty by a panel set up by the BCCI for threatening Indian wicketkeeper Wriddhiman Saha. Boria Majumdar has been banned by the BCCI for two years.
Awards, Honors, Achievements
- In 2020, Boria Majumdar won an award by ENBA under the Best English Anchor category.
- In 2021, Boria Majumdar won the Gold Award by ENBA in the Best English Talk Show category for his talk show, Backstage with Boria.
- In 2022, Boria Majumdar won the Bronze Award by ENBA in the Best English Talk Show category for his talk show, Backstage with Boria.
Facts / Trivia
- Boria Mazumdar covered the Tokyo Olympics 2020 from Japan in 2021. He also covered the Tokyo Paralympics from Japan.
- Boria Majumdar hosts a talk show titled, Boria Speaks. This show is a famous sports show.
- Boria Mazumdar founded another company named Christian Sports in 2021.
- Boria Majumdar has also served as a consultant with Sports4life from November 2021 to December 2021.
- Boria Mazumdar advocates practicing yoga daily. He has also taught yoga to his daughter Aisa.
- Boria Majumdar is an avid animal lover. He has a pet dog named Kalu.
- As a sports journalist, Boria Majumdar often writes in sports columns for several Bengali newspapers.
- In 2021, Boria Mazumdar also founded the famous sports journalism organization Revsportz.
- In 2022, Boria Majumdar was part of a Bengali show titled, Ektu Khawa Ektu Khela. The show focuses on sports and food.
- Because of the immense knowledge that Boria Mazumdar possessed; He has also been called for commentary in many cricket matches.
- Boria Majumdar also likes to cook sometimes.