Karl Pei is a Swedish entrepreneur. He is one of the co-founders of Chinese consumer electronics manufacturer OnePlus. Pei is the founder and CEO of London-based technology company Nothing Technology Ltd.; The company launched its first smartphone ‘Phone 1’ globally on 12 July 2022.
Carl Pei, also known as Pei Yu, was born on Monday, 11 September 1989.age 33 years; by 2022) in Beijing, China. His zodiac sign is Virgo.
Soon after his birth, his family relocated from China to the US and lived there for a few years before settling in Stockholm, Sweden. Carl Pei spent most of his childhood in Stockholm. Pei was initially interested in subjects such as science and philosophy, but due to less focus on studies, he ended up with average grades in school. In 2008, he enrolled at the Stockholm School of Economics, Stockholm, Sweden to pursue a Bachelor of Science. However, he dropped out of the course in 2011 to work full-time in the Chinese smartphone industry.
Height (approx.): 5′ 6″
Hair Color: black
Eye Colour: black
parents and siblings
Not much is known about his parents. She has a younger sister.
Carl Pei began his career in 2010 with the telecommunications and technology venture Nokia. He worked there for about three months.
After leaving Nokia, Carl created a fan website for Meizu, a Chinese consumer electronics company. The website came to the notice of Meizu’s Hong Kong branch, after which the company offered Pei to serve on Meizu’s marketing team in 2011.
In November 2011, Pei began working at OPPO as an international market manager; He worked in the company directly under Pete Lau (Chinese entrepreneur).
In December 2013, Carl Pei, along with his senior Pete Lau, founded OnePlus in Shenzhen, Guangdong; At that time Pei was just 24 years old. The Chinese consumer electronics firm launched its first product, the OnePlus One, in April 2014. Although the company only released the phone with a sales target of 50,000 units, the device sold nearly one million units in its first year, generating revenue of around $300 million. The OnePlus One was followed by the OnePlus 2 and OnePlus 3 in 2015 and 2016 respectively.
OnePlus 2 was launched by the company through a virtual reality video on YouTube, which garnered 296,000 views in October 2020. In June 2017, the company released one of its fastest selling smartphones, the OnePlus 5.
Carl Pei has overseen the design and marketing department of OnePlus since its inception in 2013. He resigned from his position as Global Director at the company in October 2020 to start a new venture.
Nothing at all
Carl Pei founded a London-based consumer technology company on 29 October 2020; Pei announced nothing to the public on 27 January 2021. He founded the firm with the mission of removing the barriers between people and technology and creating a seamless digital future. The company has raised a number of investors, including iPod inventor Tony Fadell, Twitch co-founder Kevin Lin, Reddit CEO Steve Huffman and American YouTuber Casey Neistat.
Nothing launched its first product ‘Year(1)’ on 27 July 2021. Its first smartphone ‘Phone 1’ was launched globally on 12 July 2022.
- Included in Marketing Week Vision 100 list (2016)
- Forbes 30 under 30 list for his impact in the technology industry (2016)
- Fortune included in the Fortune 40 Under 40 List (2019)
- Entrepreneur(s): Jeff Bezos, Steve Jobs
- Gadgets: Kindle Paperwhite
- To-Do List Manager(s): Email Inbox, Calendar, Asena, Trello, Jira
- book: How Google Works by Eric Schmidt and Jonathan Rosenberg
- Citation: “Life can be very broad when you discover a simple fact. And everything that surrounds you is what you call life, it was created by people who were not smarter than you. And You can change it – you can influence it, you can make your own things that other people can use.” by steve jobs
- School of Philosophy: detachment
Facts / Trivia
- Carl Pei’s favorite pastimes include traveling, reading books and listening to music.
- He is fluent in several languages including Chinese, English and Swedish.
- In an interview, Pei revealed that he had difficulty concentrating in school, and that he spent as little time in school as possible. He further revealed that after coming back home from school, he used to spend all his time on the computer.
- In an interview, when asked about the setting up of his workspace, Carl Pei said,
My workplace is really messy. I am trying to get all my work done in the office and I don’t take it home. Often this means staying up late and having a lot of stuff on my desk. The My Workplace setup consists of a 27-inch iMac with a Magic Trackpad on the left side of the keyboard. For music, I use Sennheiser HD650s with a nuForce u-DAC 2 and a Graham Sly solo amp. It’s bliss.”
- He is a casual drinker.
- In an interview, he revealed that a few years back he used to wear the same print t-shirt every day; She had nine of the same T-shirts and wore one every day.
- He has great admiration for the American business magnate Steve Jobs. He also has a little bobblehead of Steve at his work desk. Once, he even went to see Jobs’ film barefoot, thus paying tribute to him. Carl also has a similar career path to Steve Jobs as the two first co-founded a successful technology firm and then left the firm to start their own venture.
- Karl is trained in Mixed Martial Arts (MMA).
- He follows a non-vegetarian diet.
- Interestingly, the popular OnePlus tagline ‘Never Settle’ was coined by Carl Pei. Having a knack for short and impressive taglines, Pei also coined the famous term ‘flagship killer’.
- He is fond of ice cream and has expressed his love for the same several times on his social media accounts.
- Pei revealed that he was a fan of the anime during an Ask Me Anything session on Instagram. For 2019 Halloween, he dressed as Naruto Uzumaki from the popular Japanese manga series.
- During an interview, Pei revealed that he was once a big fan of Apple products.