Deepak Punia is an Indian freestyle wrestler. He came into limelight in 2019 when he won a silver medal at the World Wrestling Championships held in Nur-Sultan, Kazakhstan and after winning this event, he qualified for the 2020 Summer Olympics.
Deepak Punia was born on Wednesday 19 May 1999.age 23 years; by 2022) at Chhara, Jhajjar, Haryana. His zodiac sign is Taurus. Deepak received his initial wrestling training at his home as his father and grandfather worked as professional wrestlers. They used to compete in local tournaments (Dangal). According to his family, he started showing interest in wrestling at the age of four. Gradually, he started participating in local riots to earn money. Later, he joined Chhatrasal Stadium to get professional training in the wrestling game.
Height (approx.): 5′ 8″
Weight (approx): 85 kg
Hair Color: black
Eye Colour: black
parents and siblings
His father’s name is Subhash Punia, and he is a milkman.
His mother’s name is Krishna Punia and she was a housewife.
He has a sister named Neeru Dhanda who is part of the Indian Shooting Team.
Deepak Punia started professional training in wrestling in 2015 under the guidance of his coaches Virender Kumar and Satpal Singh.
During this time two-time Olympic medalist Sushil Kumar also started teaching him professional wrestling strategies. In 2016, he won a gold medal at the 2016 Cadet World Championships, which was held in Tbilisi, Georgia. In 2018, he was the winner of the gold medal in the 86 kg category in the Asian Junior Athletics. In the same year, he participated in the Junior World Wrestling Championships and won a silver medal for India.
The following year, he was part of the Junior World Wrestling Championships in which he won the gold medal in the 86 kg weight category. In the same year, he won a silver medal at the World Wrestling Championships, which was held in Nur-Sultan, Kazakhstan, paving the way for his participation in the 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo. In 2021, Deepak won a silver medal at the Asian Championships held in Almaty, Kazakhstan. In the same year, Deepak Punia suffered a hand injury during the Poland Open Championship, after which he decided not to participate in competitions to avoid another injury. In these championships, he was to face American wrestler Zahid Valencia in the quarterfinals.
The Government of India appointed Deepak Punia as a Naik Subedar in the Indian Army in 2018.
2016: Cadet World Championship in 85kg category (Tbilisi)
2018: Asian Junior Athletics Championship in 86kg category (New Delhi)
2019: Junior World Wrestling Championships (Tallinn) in 86 category
2018: Junior World Wrestling Championship (Trnava) in 86kg category
2019: World Wrestling Championship (Nur-Sultan) in 86kg category
2021: Asian Wrestling Championship in 86kg category (Almaty)
2019: Asian Wrestling Championships (Xi’an) in 86kg category
2020: Asian Wrestling Championship in 86kg category (New Delhi)
Facts / Trivia
- In a conversation with a media house, Deepak Punia revealed that Sushil Kumar And Bajrang Punia His favorite Indian wrestler was.
- According to Deepak Punia, Indian wrestler Hassan Yazdani is his idol. Hassan is the 2016 Olympic champion and a two-time world champion. Once, Deepak and Hasan were face to face in the final of the Asian Championship in which Hasan was declared the winner of the match while Deepak lost the match due to technical submission. After Deepak lost the match, Deepak Punia’s coach Virendra said in a conversation with a media house that it was normal to get confused in front of the person whom you idolized growing up. Virendra said,
It’s natural to be hesitant when you have to fight the wrestler you idolize growing up to be. But this hesitation is a thing of the past. He discussed that Asian final match with me and there is already a plan.
In this discussion, Virendra talked about Deepak’s dedication to the game. Over the years, Deepak worked hard to maintain a highly disciplined and balanced life, he added. Virendra reveals that Deepak tried to learn a lot from the antics of the children as well. he said,
If I tell the trainees that they have 600 penalty-sit (push-ups plus deep knee bends) in the task, Deepak will not only accomplish that, he will do something extra. I’ve seen him learn moves from kids too.”
- According to Deepak Punia, his father used to transport him fruits and milk from Jhajjar to his training centre, for which he had to travel 60 km every morning. The people of his village named Deepak ‘Ketli Pehelwan’, when once, some milk was given to Deepak in a kettle by the village headman, and Deepak drank the entire kettle in one gulp. Later Deepak repeated the same incident thrice.
- Deepak likes shopping and going to the mall in his spare time. He likes to spend time with his close friends. Deepak is a foodie and often likes to eat junk food. In a conversation with a media house, he said that he liked to eat junk food only during the break of the tournament. Deepak said,
Whenever I get a chance, like after a tournament, I go out and eat junk food too. But once the break is over, I don’t think about anything else. Then wrestling and training is life.”
- Reportedly, according to Deepak Punia, the Haryana government did not financially support him during his initial years in wrestling. In a media interaction, Deepak said that he did not receive any monetary reward after winning the Cadet World Championship in 2016. Soon, his appeal was highlighted on social media by the Indian wrestler. Bajrang Punia, who posted a tweet on his Twitter handle and wrote that the prize money for senior wrestlers was often being deducted by the government. He also highlighted the fact that junior wrestlers need financial support from the government for better incentives so that they can work harder and perform better in their future competitions.
The senior still got a dangerous particle to watch, particle to particle? The color of the match also changes and so does the name of the country, yet different? Think of something else for Kathy, sir. @anilvijminister https://t.co/SEs68tcZlA
— Bajrang Punia (@BajrangPunia) August 15, 2019
- According to some media sources, in 2018, Deepak Punia asked his father to stop selling milk as he was earning well for his family. In the same year he bought an SUV car for him.
- United World Wrestling honored Deepak Punia with the title of Junior Freestyle Wrestler of the Year in 2019.
- Deepak Punia suffered shoulder and ankle injuries during the World Wrestling Championships in 2019. In the final matches of this tournament, he faced Iranian wrestler Hassan Yazdani, who defeated Deepak in the 86 kg weight category and Deepak had to be content with the silver medal.
- In 2020, according to some media sources, Deepak Punia became the first wrestler in eighteen years to win the Junior World Championship. Forbes ranked her in the list of ’30 Under 30′ in 2021 due to her exceptional performance at the Junior World Championships.
— Forbes India (@ForbesIndia) February 9, 2020
- Deepak Punia with his fellow wrestler, Ravi Kumar Dahiya, visited Russia in 2021 for the training session for the Tokyo Olympics. At the time of their arrival in Russia, they had been partially vaccinated against Corona, so the Indian Embassy in Moscow decided to vaccinate them both with a second dose of Kovishield. However, Poland’s strict vaccination policy did not allow him to be vaccinated with a second dose.
- In 2021, he was awarded the Padma Shri award by the Government of India.
- Deepak Punia is a fitness enthusiast. He does physical exercises regularly and often shares pictures and videos of his exercise sessions on social media.
- He is quite active on various social media platforms. He has more than 65k followers on Instagram. He is followed more than people on Facebook. He often shares pictures and videos on social media.