Age: 58 Years
Wife: Vini Mahajani
Education: Master’s degree in Police Administration
Some lesser known facts about Dinkar Gupta
- Dinkar Gupta is a 1987 batch Indian Police Service (IPS) officer of Punjab cadre. He was appointed as the Director General of the National Investigation Agency (NIA), India’s primary counter-terrorism task force on 23 June 2022. In the past, he was serving as the Director General of Police (DGP) of the government. of Punjab.
- Dinkar’s wife Vini Mahajan is a 1987 batch Indian Administrative Service (IAS) officer of Punjab cadre. Vini is the first woman Chief Secretary of Punjab. Till 2022, Vini has been appointed as the secretary of the Ministry of Jal Shakti.
- Dinkar’s father-in-law Bibi Mahajan was also a civil servant. He was an IAS officer of Punjab cadre.
- Dinkar started his career as an IPS officer in 1987. From January 1992 to January 1999, Dinkar served as the Chief of Police (SSP) of Ludhiana, Jalandhar and Hoshiarpur districts. He served as the Deputy Inspector General of Police (DIG) of Jalandhar Range and Ludhiana Range till 2004.
- Later, he also served as Deputy Inspector General of Police (DIG) of Counter-Intelligence and DIG of Intelligence, Punjab, including the Punjab State Intelligence Wing, State Anti-Terrorist Squad (ATS) and his direct surveillance of organized crime . Control Unit (OCCU).
- An experienced and distinguished officer, Dinkar was subsequently deputed with the Central Government for eight years, i.e. from June 2004 to July 2012. While working for the central government, he did many important works. During that period, he was also appointed as the head of the Intelligence Bureau unit, which looked after the security of VVIPs.
- Thereafter, he served as Additional Director General of Police (ADGP) for Law and Order (2012–2015) and ADGP Security (2012–2015).
- Meanwhile, Dinkar also served as ADGP Traffic (2013-14) and ADGP Provisioning and Modernization (2014-15).
- From 2015 to 2017, he was appointed as the Additional Director General of Police (ADGP) of Administration and Community Police.
- Dinkar took over as Punjab Police Chief (Director General of Punjab Police) in February 2019, superseding five other officers; The two officers also fought a long battle against him, however, they could not succeed. While serving as the Director General of Punjab Police, Gupta revamped the training module to make Punjab Police a tech-savvy force. He worked in this position for about two years and seven months.
- In 2021, Dinkar was removed as the DGP of Punjab and appointed as the chairman of the Punjab Police Housing Corporation, after Charanjit Singh Channi was replaced by Captain (retired) Amarinder Singh as the Chief Minister of Punjab. Thereafter, he requested for central deputation.
- Iqbal Preet Singh Sahota has been made the chairman of Punjab Police Housing Corporation (PPHC) in place of Dinkar.
- After being on the offer list for central deputation for almost a year, Gupta was appointed as the Director General of the National Investigation Agency (NIA) on 23 June 2022. He replaces CRPF DG Kuldeep Singh, who was holding additional charge as DG. , NIA, former NIA chief YC Modi since retiring on 31 May 2021. As per the ACC order, Gupta will hold the post till March 31, 2024, the date of his retirement, or until further orders, whichever is earlier. The appointment letter issued by the Department of Personnel and Training (DoPT) read,
The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet has approved the proposal of the Ministry of Home Affairs for appointment of Shri Dinkar Gupta, IPS (PB: 87) to the post of Director General, National Investigation Agency in Level-17 and up to 31.03.2024. i.e. the date of his retirement or till further orders, whichever is earlier.”
- Dinkar Gupta and his wife, Vini Mahajan, earned the title of ‘power couple’ during Captain Amarinder Singh’s tenure as Chief Minister of Punjab, as they both held the highest administrative and police posts in the state; During that time, Dinkar was appointed as the Director General of Police (DGP) of Punjab and Vini served as the Chief Secretary of Punjab.
- Dinkar played a major role in destroying the narco-terrorism network in Punjab and served the state during the peak of militancy in Punjab; Reportedly, he was the first to point out the danger posed by drones from across the border.
- He represented India at a conference on International Terrorism in 1996. The conference was organized by the International Criminal Police Organization (Interpol).
- In 1999, Gupta was awarded the British Chevening Gurukul Scholarship by the British Council at the London School of Economics, London.
- In 2000-2001 he was also named Executive-in-Residence at the School of International Service, American University, Washington DC, USA.
- In January 2001, Dinkade was invited by America’s University to design and teach a course entitled Governments Under Siege: Understanding Terrorism and Terrorists for Undergraduate Students.
- He has been a visiting professor at George Washington University, Washington DC, USA.