Aldhos Paul is an Indian athlete who competes in the long jump and triple jump. In 2022, he won a gold medal at the Commonwealth Games held in Birmingham.
Aldhos Paul was born on Thursday, 7 November 1996 (age 26 years; by 2022) in Kolenchery, Kerala. His zodiac sign is Scorpio. Eldhos did his schooling from Krishnan Elayath Memorial High School, Alangad. Later, he joined Mar Athanasius College, Kerala to pursue his Bachelor of Arts. However, he dropped out of the course in 2016 to serve in the Indian Navy. Having an inclination towards sports since childhood, Aldhos participated in many inter-school competitions. During his schooling, Aldhos practiced long vaulting at the junior level, where he also won a medal.
Height (approx.): 5′ 8″
Hair Color: black
Eye Colour: black
Aldhos Paul belongs to a Christian family from Kerala.
parents and siblings
Aldhos’ father Pauloz is a supplier in a toddy shop. Aldhos lost his mother when he was about four years old. He has a younger brother named Abin Paul. He was raised by Eldhos’ aged grandmother, Mariamma. In an interview, Aldhos talked about his grandmother and said,
She did everything that a mother would do for her child over the years. We are very close and have a strong bond. He raised me and taught me all the values of life. It goes without saying that without him I would not be who I am today. ,
In 2021, Aldhos Paul made his national debut by participating in Indian Grand Prix 4, Patiala. He won the gold medal in the competition. In the same year, he won a gold medal in the National Inter State Senior Athletics Championship, Patiala.
Thereafter, in 2022, he participated in various triple jump events like Indian Grand Prix, Thiruvananthapuram, Indian Grand Prix, Bhubaneswar and Indian Open Jump competitions, Thiruvananthapuram. In the same year, he made his international debut by attending XXXII Kosanov Memorial, Almaty. Won silver medal in the competition. On 21 July 2022, he participated in the World Athletics Championships, Oregon 2022, Hayward Field, Eugene, OR. Subsequently, in August 2022, he won the gold medal in the men’s triple jump event at the Commonwealth Games held in Birmingham with a jump of 17.03 meters. At the Commonwealth Games, his training partner Abdullah Abubakar won the silver medal with a jump of 17.02.
In 2016, while pursuing his bachelor’s degree, he was selected for the Indian Navy. He immediately joined the Indian Navy due to his poor financial condition. In an interview, Paul’s childhood coach TP Aussef talked about Aldhos Paul and said,
I asked him to take over the job as it was very important to him financially. He was jumping around 15.75 meters when they released him in 2016. He later improved it by staying above 16 meters in the Indian Navy and today he crossed 17 meters for the first time.
- 2021: National Inter State Senior Athletics Championship, Patiala
- 2021: Indian Grand Prix 4, Patiala
- 2022: Indian Grand Prix, Thiruvananthapuram
- 2022: National Federation Cup, CH Mohamed Koya Stadium, Thenipalami
- 2022: Indian Open Jump Competitions, Thiruvananthapuram
- 2022: Commonwealth Games, Birmingham
- 2022: XXXII Kosanov Memorial, Almaty
- 2022: Indian Grand Prix, Bhubaneshwar
- 2022: National Inter State Senior Athletics Chowdhury, Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium, Chennai
Facts / Trivia
- Aldhos Paul is the first Indian to win a gold medal in the men’s triple jump at the Commonwealth Games 2022.
- In an interview, Paul’s former coach TP Ossef spoke about Aldhos’ career and said that he initially rejected him for training in the triple jump because of his short height. He quoted,
Paul was brought in by an acquaintance of mine to enroll in Mack’s Sports Hostel. This was around 2013. I was the head coach but I said this guy is too young and he is fit for the triple jump. He was short for a triple jumper. Even today, his height is about 5 feet 8 inches. But after a trial, I found out that he (Paul) has great speed, elastic body and explosiveness, so I thought I would give him a try.
- During Aldhos’ college, he worked at his grandmother’s sawmill for extra pocket money.
- According to Aldhos’ coach, TP Ossef, Aldhos was not studious, and wanted to pursue a career in the sport as he knew that if he did well in the sport he would be able to support his grandmother financially.
- In an interview, Aldhos Paul talked about his grandmother and shared that his grandmother helped him to pursue a career in sports. he said,
When I joined MTM Higher Secondary School, Pampakuda, I started taking keen interest in sports. The financial condition at home was not very good but my Ammachi supported me wholeheartedly when I told her that I wanted to pursue a career in sports. She had no idea what I was doing, but always made sure that I had equipment for training and provided me with the best food. She is a super mother to me.”