Falguni Shah is an American-Indian singer and songwriter. She is an artist from New York who has collaborated with many famous artists such as AR Rahman, Yo-Yo Ma, Philip Glass, Wycliffe Jean, Ricky Martin and many more. In 2022, Falguni Shah won a Grammy Award for her album, “A Colorful World”, which was released on 24 September 2021. The award was presented to him in the ‘Best Children’s Album category’. She is known worldwide for beautifully amalgamating ancient Indian classical and western styles of music.
Falguni Shah was born in 1981.age 41 years; by 2022) in Mumbai, Maharashtra, India. Falu was born into a family of musicians. His mother, grandmother and his brother are all musicians. Falu was just 3 years old; When he started learning to sing. Falguni began her musical training by practicing 16 hours a day; While learning Jaipur Gharana Music Traditions and Banaras Style Thumri. Later, he was also tutored by renowned singer/sarangi master Ustad Sultan Khan.
Falguni Shah also practiced singing with Kishori Amonkar, a renowned classical musician of the Jaipur Gharana. In an interview, Falu described Kishori Amonkar as,
She was thorough and detailed in her teaching and took each student extremely seriously, ensuring that they reach their highest potential. She could sit in one place and talk about neuroscience and music without interruption.”
He was further trained in Gujarati folk music and ghazals by Kaumudi Munshi and Uday Majumdar. Falguni Shah has a master’s degree in Indian classical music. She moved and settled in the United States of America in the year 2000.
Hair Color: Black
Eye Colour: Black
family and caste
Falguni Shah belongs to a Gujarati family.
parents and siblings
His mother’s name is Kishori Dalal; Who is also a trained Gujarati classical singer and used to work with All India Radio.
She also has a brother named Darshan, with whom she used to practice playing the tabla.
husband and children
Her husband’s name is Gaurav Shah, who apart from being a lyricist and a singer; He has a degree in Medicine which he obtained from Columbia University.
They also have a 9 year old son named Nishad.
After completing her training in various types of Hindustani classical music, Falguni Shah moved to the United States in 2000 after marrying her husband. During the hard work of the early years, Fallu was rejected several times on the grounds of having practically no audience for the type of music he composed. In an interview she said,
It was very difficult. Let alone minority female musicians, being an immigrant was tough. I was constantly rejected – ‘You have no audience and we can’t work with you.’ I felt disappointed at times, but I don’t believe in giving up.”
Beginning of a new life in the United States
After moving to the United States, Falguni joined a Boston-based Indo-American band known as Karishma as a lead singer. After some time, Fallu was appointed as a visiting lecturer in the field of Indian classical music at Tufts University for a period of two years. She, later, returned to New York and started her own band with the same name.
It had been four years since Falguni Shah came to America. In 2004, Falguni was offered to appear as a solo artist in Yo-Yo Ma’s The Silk Route Project. The Silk Route Project was an organization that brought together all kinds of different original classical singers; under one format. A year later, in 2005, Falguni Shah was also given the honor of serving as one of the Ambassadors of Indian Music at Carnegie Hall. In the later months of 2006, Falu and her husband Gaurav Shah were offered the opportunity to become singers in the documentary film Born Into Wethels Ensemble, which was set in the red-light area of Calcutta. In 2007, Falguni Shah and Wycliffe Jean came together to lend their voices to the film A Place in Time. Fox Channel featured Falguni and her band, Karishma in 2008 in their music showcase, Fearless Music. The song of Falu became the first Hindi original song to be aired on Rabba channel. Fallu released their first self-titled music CD in 2007. This led to the adoption of a new genre in the field of hybrid music, which came to be known as ‘Indie-Hindi’. In the year 2008, Falguni Shah performed with renowned Indian music singer and composer, AR Rahman for the film ‘Slumdog Millionaire’. The song ‘Jai Ho’ created a lot of noise all over the world. In 2012, Fallu wrote and composed music for a documentary called The Human Tower. In the same year, he wrote and composed the music for the film “The First Sight”. Falguni Shah also contributed to the production of the album Prayer for the World, which was produced by Global Noise. Working with Carnegie Hall’s Weill Music Institute, Fallu and his band performed for 400 juvenile inmates at New York’s Crossroads Juvenile Center, as well as the Sing Sing Correctional Facility. While performing for prisoners, Fallu’s band added 16 more musical prisoners to their performances. Falu’s second album ‘Force Road’ was released in 2013. The album was produced by Danny Bloom, a Grammy Award winning producer. In 2018, Falguni Shah released an album, “Falu Ka Bazaar”. The song features her husband, who is also a singer and musician, and her mother, Kishori Dalal. The song was nominated for the 2019 Grammy Awards in the category of Best Children’s Music.
In 2020, Falguni Shah founded a new band known as American Patchwork Quartet. The band specializes in modernizing various original and generation old songs with a touch of modern musical perspective.
Awards, Honors, Achievements
- In the year 2022, Falguni Shah won her first Grammy Award for the album ‘A Colorful World’ under the category ‘Best Children’s Album’ category.
- In 2018, she was honored with the Woman Icon of India Award in Mumbai.
- In 2015, Falu was named as one of the 20 Most Influential Global Indian Women.
Facts / Trivia
- Inspired by his son Nishad, Falguni Shah built a market for Falu; Because he will ask her many questions. Falu said,
When my younger son started preschool, he was like ‘Mom, why is our food yellow?’ Came home with questions like. ‘Why do we speak a different language at home versus school?’ ‘Why do we count our numbers in a different language?’ I thought the best way to answer all his questions was through music, and so I started writing songs for him. he was born Fruit market.,
- While completing his studies in North Indian Classical Vocal Music, Falu participated and won 3 national level singing competitions.
- In 2003, Fallu performed in honor of the Dalai Lama at Lincoln Center.
- Falu’s band is known around the world for offering a fusion of every major genre that has ever existed. His band offers Indian classical, alternative rock, contemporary pop and electronic genres.
- In 2009, Falguni Shah was invited to the White House by the then President of the United States, Barack Obama. There he performed with AR Rahman to honor the arrival of Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
- As a young child, while growing up in Mumbai, Falu was bullied extensively by his classmates. In an interview, she said,
Music was also an escape for me at that time as I was a bit black and kids used to be mean. They used to call me Kali Buffalo (Black Buffalo), so to escape, I perform Chilla Katana (a training ritual where the student is completely isolated and spends hours practicing for long hours).
- Falguni Shah’s mother Kishori Dalal is also a trained classical singer, and in Falu’s album, “Falu Ke Bazaar”, she also sang a song called “Nishad Ki Lullaby”, which she used to sing to Nishad as a child. . Falguni said,
This song has been going on for five generations and I hope Nishad will pass it on to his children as well.”
- Falguni Shah traces its roots to Surat, a major city in Gujarat.
- Falguni Shah made the album “A Colorful World” while going through depression; As his father had passed away.
- In an interview after winning the Grammy Award, Falu said,
‘A Colorful World’ I dedicate to my father. With his blessings, I have got such a big award. This album is very close to my heart, because in this album I have spent time with my father.
- Falguni Shah’s father-in-law, Dilipbhai Rasiklal Shah is also a renowned, classical singer.
- In 2013, their album, “Foras Road” was shortlisted for the Grammy Awards, but could not make it to the major nominations.
- The Prime Minister of India, Narendra Modi also tweeted congratulating Falguni Shah on her victory at the 64th Annual Grammy Awards.
- Falguni Shah also performed at the TIME-100 Gala in the presence of US First Lady Michelle Obama and many other influential personalities. He has also been featured in The New York Times, The Rolling Stone and Billboard Magazine.
- When Falguni Shah was only 6 years old, she met with an accident. As she lay on the hospital bed, painfully twitching and twisting, her mother asked her to sing; Because it will take away the pain. Falu recalled in an interview,
My mind shifted from pain to music and I started feeling better. I said, Mom, that’s the only thing I want to do.”
- Fallu and his band Karisma also performed for First Lady of the United States Hillary Clinton in 2001.
- Falguni Shah’s recently formed band, the American Patchwork Quartet, has received a $40,000 grant under the South Arts Creative Residency Grant.
- As a child, while growing up, Falu loved listening to songs by The Beatles and RD Burman on the radio.