Gamini Singla is an Indian woman who has secured 3rd AIR in UPSC Civil Services Examination 2021.
Gamini Singla was born in 1999 (age 23 years; by 2022) at Anandpur Sahib, Punjab. He graduated in Computer Science Engineering from Punjab Engineering College, Chandigarh (2017 – 2021). Singla was always interested in participating in co-curricular activities during her college days. According to Gamini, his hobby is participating in MUN, an activity that models UN meetings and gatherings to teach children how to behave like representatives. He participated in various All India Political Party meetings and was also named Director General of PECMUN 6.0 in 2019.
After completing his engineering, Singla worked for a brief period of approx. 6 months at JPMorgan Chase & Co in 2018. In an interview, his teacher, Professor Rajesh Bhatia revealed,
She was the class representative and got a job offer during the campus placement, but she did not join as she wanted to pursue civil services.
Height (approx.): 5′ 5
Weight (approx): 65 kg
Hair Color: black
Eye Colour: black
parents and siblings
His father, Alok Singla, MBBS, works as an SMO in HP Health Services. His mother, Neeraj Singla is also a medical officer, who works for the Government of Himachal Pradesh.
His brother, Tushar Singla, is an engineer and is a graduate of IIT Kharagpur.
Gamini Singla belongs to Bania caste.
Facts / Trivia
- According to Gamini, his name means someone who is always in motion.
- His favorite sociologist is the thinker mile Durkheim, who was a French sociologist.
- This was his second attempt at CSE in which he secured AIR 3. The top 3 rank holders of UPSC CSE 2021 were girls. Expressing his views on this in an interview, Gamini said,
This shows that women are capable of achieving anything with their hard work and dedication.
- He chose IAS as his first choice and IPS as his second choice. In an interview, she said,
I have selected Indian Administrative Service IAS and want to work for the development of the country and welfare of the people.
- When asked in an interview, Singla revealed that she admires the confidence and patience with which IPS officers like Kiran Bedi and Navjot Simmi perform their duties. She said that she considers these two women as her role models.
- Gamini chose sociology as an optional subject.
- In an interview, she revealed that she self-studyed for the exam by studying for around 9 – 10 hours a day. He said,
I used to study for 9-10 hours a day. I took coaching from Vinod sir in Patiala. Mostly I did self study to prepare for the exam and finally I passed. My father was instrumental in helping me prepare for the exam.”
- Singla credits his success to his father who helped him stay updated with current affairs by reading newspapers daily. In an interview, she expressed,
My family, especially my father has helped me a lot emotionally and in studies also, we used to discuss about studies and he knew what was important to me. It has helped me a lot.”
- In a mock interview to prepare for his final round of CSE, he revealed that he does not know how to drive.
- The Faculty of PEC was extremely proud of Singla’s result. In an interview, Professor Sanjeev, who is a faculty member in the CSE department of PEC, said,
Gamini was a very intelligent student. The department misses her and we all had full faith that she will clear the exam. We are so proud of him.”