Gaurav Chakraborty is an Indian actor and editor who predominantly works in Bengali films and television shows. He is best known for playing the role of Byomkesh Bakshi in the Bengali TV show ‘Byomkesh’ (2014).
Gaurav Chakraborty was born on Monday 6 March 1989. age 33 years; by 2022 ) in Kolkata, West Bengal. His zodiac sign is Pisces. he did his schooling Assembly of God Church School, Kolkata. In 2005, he enrolled himself in St. Xavier’s College to do Bachelor of Science in Mass Communication and Video Production. For his Masters, he went to the Indian Institute of Film and Television, Pune, and completed his postgraduate course in video editing in 2009.
Height (approx.): 5′ 6″
Hair Color: black
Eye Colour: black
Gaurav Chakraborty belongs to a Bengali family.
parents and siblings
Gaurav’s father, Sabyasachi Chakraborty, is an Indian actor who works in the Bengali film industry. Talking about his relationship with his family, he said,
I don’t feel pressure from my parents. Neither did my younger brother Arjun. My father is silent but gives suggestions when asked. Mom is very encouraging and her praises abound. After graduation, I did a little theater in my home group Charkabak but working with my father made me stagger on my knees. I greatly admire my brother’s work. We have a great relationship and love to take advantage of each other’s glory. There is no sense of competition at all”.
His mother, Mithu Chakraborty, is a Bengali television actress. His elder brother Arjun Chakraborty is also an actor in the Bengali entertainment industry.
On 28 November 2017, Gaurav Chakraborty married his longtime girlfriend Ridhima Ghosh, who is a famous Bengali actress.
Gaurav started his journey in the entertainment industry as a theater artist. He was part of the theater group Charbak, where he not only assisted with backstage work, but also played the role of Topshe in the play Apsara Theatre-er Mamla. During his college days, he played the lead role in the documentary ‘Isolation’, which was based on HIV-AIDS.
bengali television show
In 2010, Gaurav along with his younger brother Arjun Chakraborty made his debut in the TV show Ganer Opare aired on Star Jalsa. Talking about his role in the show Gainer Opera, he said,
The songar opera took place a few years later. My character was supposed to last for three months but the tremendous popularity of the serial extended my role till the end. I think Ganer Opare was the biggest hit on Bengali satellite channels but the makers refused to go ahead with it and it was the right thing to do.
His next successful TV show was Byomkesh (2011), which was aired on Colors Bangla in which he played the lead role of Byomkesh.
Some of his popular Bengali television shows as an actor are Adavitiya (2011), Mahanayak (2016), and Gupi Gayan (2019).
In 2011, Gaurav made his debut with the Bengali comedy ‘Rang Milanati’, in which he played the role of Kaushik. After that, he appeared in the award-winning film Laptop (2012).
In 2014, he appeared in the film Apur Panchali in which he played the role of Arko. Talking about his character in the film, he said,
I played Arko, a directing student in SRFTI, opposite the aging Subir Banerjee, the actor who played Apu in Ray’s Pather Panchali in Germany. We represent the present. The film goes back in the past to reveal the story of Chhote Subir, who was neither seen nor heard after Pather Panchali. A fictional story, it focuses on the tragedy of missing child actors. Ardhendu Banerjee, who played the elder Subir and I, developed a wonderful bond. He is not only a great actor but also an educationist who retired from IAS a few years back.
He has acted in several other Bengali films including Highway (2014), Aagun (2014), Fakebook (2015), Gangster (2016), Double Feluda (2018), and Abar Kangchenjunga (2022). He also shared his experience of working with various directors and narrating the many roles he has played, he replied,
Kaushik Ganguly has given me the biggest scope. He gave me my break in Bagnokh, followed by Rang Milanati, a frothy, youth-centric love story, and then a very different role in Laptop and now Apur Panchali. My role in Atanu Ghosh’s Roopkatha Noy was that of a newly wed husband who tries to cope with a bride running away forever. In Harnath Chakraborty’s Chhayamay, I play the sixth generation of a royal family. Aashbo Aar Ek Din, directed by Abhijit Dasgupta, was a different cup of tea. Every director brings with it a different learning experience and I consider myself lucky to have got a chance to learn from him.
Gaurav Chakraborty has edited a few documentaries, including Sober Sera Gorumara (2010) and Pariksha (2013). He has also edited a short film titled Bumper (2017).
- In 2012, he was awarded the Star Guide Bengali Film Award for Best Male Debut for the film Rang Milanati (2011).
- In 2012, he was awarded the Star Jalsa Parivar Award for Sobche Pryyo Khalnayak for the Bengali television show Advitiya (2011).
- In 2015, he was awarded the Telly Academy Award for Best Actor in a Leading Role for the television series Byomkesh (2014).
- In 2016, he was awarded the Solo Room Award for his contribution to the Bengali film industry.
- In 2019, he was awarded the AAHAN International Short Film Festival for Best Editing in the short film Bumper (2017).
- In 2021, he was awarded the Films and Frames Digital Film Awards for Best Supporting Actor Male for the film Lalbazaar (2020).
Facts / Trivia
- Gaurav’s hobbies include travelling, singing, photography, reading books and shopping.
- In an interview, Gaurav claimed that his bucket list includes visiting all the continents. Moreover, he said that Darjeeling is his favorite place.
- He follows a non-vegetarian diet.
- Zee5 series Lalbazar cast Gaurav Chakraborty and his father Sabyasachi Chakraborty. However, Gaurav said that they have no scenes together.
Unfortunately, I didn’t have any scenes with him. We were on the sets together many times but we didn’t have any scenes where we interacted with each other.
- Gaurav is usually featured in newspaper articles because of his sexuality.
- He is often seen drinking alcohol on several occasions.
- Gaurav’s father recommended him to pursue an editing course before shifting his career to the entertainment industry.
Over time, it was acting that attracted me. But my father advised me to take a technical course so that I can get back to a technology that is always in demand. I like editing.