Marital Status: Unmarried
Father: L Subramaniam
Some lesser known facts about Ginger Shankar
- Ginger Shankar is an American singer. He is an accomplished musician and multi-instrumentalist. He has developed the music for several films including Circumstances (2011), Brahman Bulls (2014), and Heartbeats (2018).
- Ginger Shankar was born into one of the most admired and influential musical families in the world. He started singing and learning musical instruments at a very young age from his father, Viji Subramaniam, who was an Indian classical singer, and his mother, Dr. L. Subramaniam, who was a violinist. His grandmother Lakshmi Shankar was the sister-in-law of lead sitar player Ravi Shankar.
- When Ginger Shankar was a child, she learned to sing, dance and play the violin and piano. Soon after receiving music lessons from professional opera singer Tantu Cardinal, she began modeling and acting in stage productions.
- On 9 February 1995, his mother died, and in November 1999, his father married the Indian playback singer Kavita Krishnamurthy,
- At the age of fourteen, Ginger Shankar started doing concerts. His first show was at Madison Square Garden. She debuted as a classical vocalist with Anadamar, an opera by Osvaldo Golijov under the music company Chicago Symphony Orchestra. Later, he performed the song at Carnegie Hall.
- Ginger Shankar has worked with top singers, producers and film composers including The Smashing Pumpkins, Saul Williams, Mike Nichols, Meryl Streep, Rocnation, Marilyn Manson, Peter Gabriel and Steve Vai. She has provided music and voice for several films and television series such as The Passion of the Christ, Charlie Wilson’s War, and She Can Be Next, and We Will Rise: Michelle Obama’s Mission to Educate Girls Around the World.
- According to Ginger Shankar, she likes fashion and modeling. Talking to the media, he said that he has worked with many Indian designers and music companies. He said,
I love fashion and I think music and fashion go hand in hand. I worked with a variety of companies modeling for clothing and music companies. I really look forward to collaborating with up-and-coming designers in India. ,
- In 2004, in the film The Passion of the Christ, Ginger Shankar acted as a composer with composer John Debney. In 2007, she was one of six film composers who attended the Sundance Institute Composer Lab. In 2008, Ginger Shankar acted as a composer in the film The Forbidden Kingdom. He composed the songs for the film Situation, which won the Sundance Audience Choice Award in 2011.
- In 2003, Ginger Shankar worked with Indian musicians L Shankar, Zakir Hussain and Vikku Vinayakram on a music album titled Enlightenment. In 2008, she released her music album The Invisible Rise and Liberation of Niggy Tardust! With Saul Williams. In 2010, Ginger Shankar worked with a solo EP on the music album ‘Anywhere But Here’.
- Ginger Shankar made her debut at the Sundance Film Festival in 2012 with the project ‘Himalayan Song’. The project had a live film. The film’s narration and music were composed by Ginger and Mridu Chandra under the Shanghai Restoration Project.
- In 2013, Ginger Shankar composed the music for the thriller film Monsoon Shootout, directed by Amit Kumar, and the film premiered at the Cannes Film Festival in the same year. In 2013, he played double violin in Katy Perry’s song Legendary Lovers. The music for the film Brahman Bulls was also composed by him in 2014, and the film opened in the US. The film also won several film awards. Ginger Shankar composed the music for the film ‘Project Syria’, which was directed by Noni De La Pea, and the virtual reality documentary premiered at the Sundance Film Festival in 2015.
- Ginger Shankar is associated with the Sundance Film Festival on its Artist Advisory Board. She is an associate of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.
- Ginger Shankar is considered the only woman in the world who has mastered the double violin. In a media interview, Ginger Shankar revealed how he mastered the 10-string double violin. Ginger Shankar said that initially, it was very challenging, and he learned it very slowly. he described,
very slowly! It was definitely very challenging to learn. I actually started playing violin and cello and found it difficult to carry multiple instruments to and from shows to mic them. The double violin covered the entire orchestra range, so once I started on that, I’ve always used it. It has such a unique voice and it plays such a big part in my live shows as well as my soundtrack score. ,
- Many live motivational shows often invite Ginger Shankar to their shows as a guest speaker. She frequently visits TEDx and often speaks on topics related to girls’ education and their empowerment and environment. Other speaking forums such as Davos, UNESCO, the Nobel Prize Summit, the Carbon Footprint Summit, and the Cartier Women’s Initiative often invite Ginger Shankar as a guest speaker.
- Soon after Ginger Shankar entered the music industry, she founded a non-profit organization called Little Indian Girl to empower young Indian girls with a passion for artistry. The venture provides sponsorships and scholarships to young Indian budding artists in areas such as science, music and leadership. Her other projects related to the empowerment of women include Humari Daadi and Nari Ka Vade. Promise of Our Grandmothers is a project related to recording the problems faced by women’s groups battling environmental issues in India. The Nari Project included the stories of women from India’s first musical family. In this project, he explores the experiences of his mother, Viji Subramaniam, and grandmother, Lakshmi Shankar, who faced many challenges both artistically and personally in their homeland while trying to establish Indian music in the West.
- Rolling Stone ranked his multimedia project ‘Himalayan Song’ (On Climate Change) as one of the ’10 Best Music Films at Sundance’ soon after its release in 2012, with Filmmakers magazine calling him ’25 New Faces to Watch’ Watched as ‘Watch’. magazine in the same year.
- In 2018, Ginger Shankar produced a documentary called Aksita: The Battle of Standing Rock, which was screened at the 2018 Sundance Film Festival. In 2020, she launched the album And She Be Next, featuring Aloe Black, Tariona ‘Tank’ Ball and Saul William.
- In 2020, ahead of the 2020 presidential elections in the US, Ginger Shankar co-directed and produced several venues for South Asians. She composed the song “Promise of our Grandmothers” in 2020. In 2021, the song was featured at the Nobel Prize Summit.
- He is often featured in his articles in famous magazines and newspapers.
- In his conversation with a media house, Ginger Shankar revealed that he spent most of his childhood in Madras, Calcutta and Bombay. He said,
I spent a lot of time in my teenage and adult years in Madras, and in Calcutta and Bombay.
- Ginger Shankar is the co-founder of Naughty Horse Records. It is a record label that releases music composed by dynamic female artists from around the world. It helps preserve global classical recordings, and many of its recordings date back to the 1930s by the Shankar family.
- She is quite active on various social media platforms. More than 67 thousand people follow him on Facebook. He has more than 36k followers on Instagram. She has a YouTube channel, which has more than four hundred subscribers. She often posts pictures and videos on social media.
- In June 2022, she became the first Indian musician to compose a song in the Marvel project, Miss Marvel. The track ‘Rosie’ for this project is penned by Pakistani rapper Eva B and penned by Ginger Shankar. Soon after announcing the news on one of her social media accounts, she said in an interaction with a media house that she was a huge fan of Marvel and couldn’t believe that she got the opportunity to work with Marvel. Ginger Shankar said,
I’ve always been a fan of Marvel, but if you had told me five years ago that we were making a hip-hop track with Pakistani and Indian influences, with the first female Pakistani rapper I wouldn’t have believed it! I think it makes me more of a fan honestly. ,