Ginger Shankar is an American Indian musician. She is an accomplished multi-instrumentalist, singer and violinist. He composed music for several well-known films such as Circumstance (2011), Brahman Bulls (2014), Heartbeats (2018), and The Passion of the Christ (2004) and television series including Charlie Wilson’s War (2007), We Will Rise Is. Michelle Obama’s mission to educate girls around the world (2017), and she could be next (2020).
Ginger Shankar was born in Los Angeles, United States. He was raised in Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India. Soon after finishing her schooling, she went to Kalakshetra Creative Arts School in Chennai, Tamil Nadu to pursue a degree in Fine Arts. Later, she studied opera singing at professional opera singer Tantu Cardinal in Sherman Oaks, California. They are one of the most admired and influential musical families in the world. His father, Dr L Subramaniam, who was a violinist, and his mother, Viji Subramaniam, an Indian classical singer, started teaching him Indian classical singing and musical instruments at a very young age. According to Ginger Shankar, he was raised and spent much of his childhood in Madras, Calcutta and Bombay. Talking to the media, he said,
I spent a lot of time in my teenage and adult years in Madras, and in Calcutta and Bombay.
Height (approx.): 5′ 1″
Weight (approx): 55 kg
Hair Color: black
Eye Colour: black
parents and siblings
His father’s name is Dr. L. Subramaniam, and he is a prominent Indian violinist. His mother Viji Subramaniam was an Indian classical singer.
His grandfather’s name is V. Laxminarayan, and he was a musician.
Her grandmother’s name is Lakshmi Shankar who was an Indian classical singer and sister-in-law of prominent Indian sitarist Ravi Shankar.
Ginger Shankar has two brothers and one sister. The names of his brothers are Dr Narayan Subramaniam and Ambi Subramaniam. Both of them are Indian musicians.
His sister’s name is Bindu Subramaniam, and she is an Indian classical singer.
Ginger Shankar is not married.
Ginger Shankar started doing live concerts and concerts at the age of fourteen. As a teenager, his first concert was at Madison Square Garden. She then worked with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra as a professional vocalist in Osvaldo Golijov’s opera Anadmar. Later, the song was sung by him at Carnegie Hall, a New York City concert venue.
After entering the music industry, he had the opportunity to work with many renowned singers, producers and film composers such as The Smashing Pumpkins, Saul Williams, Mike Nichols, Meryl Streep, Rocnation, Marilyn Manson, Peter Gabriel and Steve Vai.
Ginger Shankar composed music for the 2004 film The Passion of the Christ with composer John Debney. He then composed songs for the 2008 film The Forbidden Kingdom. In 2011, the songs for the film Situation were composed by Ginger. Shankar and the film won the Sundance Audience Choice Award in the same year.
Ginger Shankar has worked with Indian musicians L. Composed songs for the music album Enlightenment in 2003 with Shankar, Zakir Hussain and Vikku Vinayakram. In 2008, a music album titled The Invisible Rise and Liberation of Niggy Tardust! It was released by him in collaboration with composer Saul Williams. In 2010, Ginger Shankar and Solo EP jointly composed the songs for the music album ‘Anywhere But Here’. In 2013, Ginger Shankar worked as a composer for the film Monsoon Shootout, directed by Amit Kumar. During the same year, the film premiered at the Cannes Film Festival. Ginger Shankar collaborated with Katy Perry in 2013 by playing the double violin in Katy’s song Legendary Lovers. In 2014, he lent his voice and music to the film Brahman Bulls, which opened in the US. In the same year, the film was honored with several awards and accolades. In 2015, Ginger Shankar worked with American director Noni De La Pea in the film ‘Project Syria’, which was a virtual documentary and premiered at the Sundance Film Festival. He composed and co-directed the theme song for the 2020 US presidential elections. In the same year, she released her song “Promise of our Grandmothers”. The following year, the song was performed for an award nomination at the Nobel Prize Summit.
In 2012, Ginger Shankar made his debut in film documentaries by releasing his musical project ‘Himalaya Song’ at the Sundance Film Festival. Ginger Shankar along with Mridu Chandra narrated the story of the documentary film made under the Shanghai Restoration Project. A documentary called Aksita: The Battle of Standing Rock was produced by Ginger Shankar in 2018, and in the same year, this short film was at the Sundance Film Festival. In 2020, he featured famous American singers Aloe Black, Tariona ‘Tank’ Ball and Saul William on his music album ‘And She Can Be Next’.
A non-profit organization named Little Indian Girl, was organized by Ginger Shankar after he entered the music industry in India. This organization was established by her to empower young Indian girls with a passion for artistry. Through this NGO, Ginger Shankar started providing sponsorships and scholarships in the fields of science, music and leadership. With the Little Indian Girl project, Ginger Shankar started the ‘Promise of our Grandmothers’ and ‘Nari’ projects. In Project Promise of Our Grandmothers, Ginger Shankar focuses on writing about the environmental issues and problems facing Indian women’s groups in India. In Nari Project, she focuses on recording the stories and problems of women who belonged to India’s first musical family. In the Nari Project, she narrates the experiences and stories of her mother, Viji Subramaniam, and grandmother, Lakshmi Shankar, who tried to establish Indian music in the West and faced many challenges both artistically and personally in India.
After years in the music industry, Ginger Shankar co-founded his own music record label called Naughty Horse Records. This label gives women artists from all over the world the opportunity to release the music composed by them. Additionally, this record helps preserve global vintage classical recordings, and many of the recordings protected by this label are from the Shankar family and have songs from the 1930s.
In 2012, following the release of their multimedia project ‘Himalaya Songs’ (On Climate Change), Rolling Stone ranked the music album as one of the ’10 Best Music Films at Sundance’. During the same year, Ginger Shankar was ranked as one of the ’25 New Faces to Watch’ by Filmmaker Magazine.
Facts / Trivia
- Ginger Shankar is a skilled dancer and specializes in playing the violin and piano. Ginger Shankar has been involved in some famous stage productions in America and started modeling and acting soon after receiving music lessons from professional opera singer Tantu Cardinal.
- Ginger Shankar sings in pop, rock, electronica, world and Carnatic styles and is a master in vocals, double violin, violin and viola.
- According to Ginger Shankar, her favorite singers include The Beatles, Madonna, MS Subbulakshmi, Lata Mangeshkar, Ella Fitzgerald, Bach and Billie Holiday.
- Ginger Shankar’s father marries Indian playback singer Kavita Krishnamurthy November 1999 came four years after the death of Ginger’s mother, Viji Subramaniam, who died on 9 February 1995.
- Ginger Shankar said in a media interview that he likes fashion and modelling. He said in the same conversation that fashion and music are closely related to each other. He said,
I love fashion and I think music and fashion go hand in hand. I worked with a variety of companies modeling for clothing and music companies. I really look forward to collaborating with up-and-coming designers in India. ,
- Ginger Shankar was selected to participate in the Sundance Institute Composer Lab in 2007, and was one of six film composers who participated in the film concert, led by Peter Golub with the aim of connecting composers and directors. Hands-on experience in musical collaboration.
- Ginger Shankar is a member of the Sundance Film Festival’s Artist Advisory Board. She is also associated with the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.
- Ginger Shankar is a master at playing the double violin, and is considered the first woman in the world to master it. In a media interaction, Ginger Shankar revealed that he learned the 10-string double violin very slowly, and when he started learning it, it was very challenging. he told,
very slowly! It was definitely very challenging to learn. I actually started playing violin and cello and found it difficult to carry multiple instruments to and from shows to mic them. The double violin covered the entire orchestra range, so once I started on that, I’ve always used it. It has such a unique sound and it plays such a big part in my live shows as well as my soundtrack score. ,
- Ginger Shankar is often invited as a guest speaker by various live motivational shows. She frequently lectures at TEDx on the topics of girls’ empowerment and education in India. She is an environmental advocate and frequently speaks on several environmental protection topics at renowned international speaking platforms including Davos, UNESCO, the Nobel Prize Summit, the Carbon Footprint Summit and the Cartier Women’s Initiative.
- Many renowned national and international magazines and tabloids often include Ginger Shankar in their articles.
- Ginger Shankar regularly shares her music videos on various social media platforms. His Facebook page is followed by more than 67k people. He has more than 36k followers on Instagram. Her YouTube channel has more than four hundred subscribers.
- In June 2022, he had the opportunity to compose a song for the Marvel project, Miss Marvel, and grabbing the opportunity, Ginger Shankar became the first Indian singer to work with Marvel Studios. Pakistani rapper Eva B worked with Ginger Shankar in this American web series and composed the song ‘Rosie’. On one of her social media accounts, Ginger Shankar said that it was an incredible opportunity for her to compose a song for Marvel Studios as she was a huge Marvel fan since her teen years. Ginger Shankar said,
I’ve always been a fan of Marvel, but if you had told me five years ago that we were making a hip-hop track with Pakistani and Indian influences, with the first female Pakistani rapper I wouldn’t have believed it! I think it makes me more of a fan honestly. ,