Cause of Death: Rape and Murder
Caste: Kashmiri Pandit
Date of Death: 25/06/1990
Some lesser known facts about Girija Tikku
- Girjiya Tikku was an Indian librarian who lost her life during the exodus of Kashmiri Pandits from the Valley of Kashmir in the 1990s.
- According to some media sources, she used to work as a lab assistant at Government Girls High School in Trehgam, Jammu and Kashmir.
- In the 1990s, Girija moved to Jammu with her family after jihadi terrorists started threatening Kashmiri Pandits living in Kashmir.
- In June 1990, he got a call from a colleague asking for his salary. His colleague assured him that the situation in Kashmir is better, and that there is no such threat to his life. After receiving her salary, when she was returning home, a group of five terrorists, including one of her associates, abducted her in a taxi. She was then gang-raped by five men, and then cut in two on June 25, 1990, under a carpenter’s saw (she was alive at the time). Later, the terrorists dumped his body near the road.
- In 2022, his niece shared an Instagram post sharing the tragedy with Girija. She wrote,
My father’s sister, Girijia Tikku, was a university librarian who had gone to collect her salary, on her way back the bus she was traveling in was stopped and what happened next still left me trembling, in tears and tears. Leaves in nausea. My aunt was then thrown into a taxi by 5 men (one of them was her colleague), who tortured her, raped her, and then brutally murdered her by cutting her alive with a carpenter’s saw. . Imagine being the brother who had to recognize his bubbly who was not at fault in this fierce battle of total hypocrisy. Till date I have not heard anyone from my family speak about this incident.
My father tells me that every brother was living in so much shame and anger that he did nothing to get justice for my bubbly bua. I am fortunate to be a part of @KOAYouth @KOAorg where I connect with youth of Kashmiri Pandit community where we can share our past. My request to all of you is to check the files of Kashmir and take your friends and family with you.
- A few years after her death, it was found that there were many other Kashmiri Pandit women who were brutally tortured by the militants. Later Girija’s family moved to America.
- In 2022, Indian director inspired by the tragedies of Kashmiri Pandits Vivek Agnihotri Released a Hindi film titled ‘The Kashmir Files’. The role of Girija in the film was played by an Indian actress. Bhasha Sumbli Under the character name Sharda Pandit.