Age: 59 Years
Date of Birth: 30/09/1962
Some lesser known facts about Gurmeet Singh Khudiyan
- Gurmeet Singh Khudiyan is an Indian politician representing the Aam Aadmi Party, who won the 2022 Punjab Legislative Assembly election from the Lambi constituency.
- Gurmeet emerged victorious in the assembly elections in his first attempt. His victory contributed to the first victory of the Aam Aadmi Party in Punjab.
- He won by a huge margin of 11,396 votes, managing to get a total of 66,313 votes.
- He defeated SAD patron and five-time former CM Parkash Singh Badal, who lost the first and came second with a total of 54,917 votes. Badal has served the state as Chief Minister from 1970 to 1971, 1977 to 1980, 1997 to 2002 and 2007 to 2017.
- The key players in the election were Jagpal Singh Abulkhurana (Congress), Gurmeet Singh Khudian (Aam Aadmi Party), Parkash Singh Badal (Shiromani Akali Dal-Bahujan Samaj Party alliance) and Rakesh Dhingra (BJP’s alliance with former CM Captain Amarinder Singh). Punjab Lok Congress Party).
- According to the election affidavit filed in the Election Commission, Gurmeet’s profession is agriculture. His wife is a housewife.
- His father Jagdev Singh Khudian was elected MP from Faridkot constituency in 1989. He was associated with Congress for a long time. A day after taking oath as an MP, he went missing suspiciously and his body was found 6 days later in the Rajasthan Feeder Canal.
- Following his father’s path, Gurmeet also started joining the Congress party. He joined Congress in 2004.
- He worked his way up to becoming the President of the District Congress Committee, Muktsar for five years.
- Reportedly, he was hoping that the ticket from Congress for the 2017 elections would be part of the race from Lambi constituency. However, Captain Amarinder himself announced to contest the election at the last moment. The only option left with Khudia was to apply for the nomination of the covering candidate.
- According to a media house, he believed that Captain Amarinder had contested the election to make Badal win. Word has it that he believed that the chief minister did not properly pursue cases of sacrilege just to save the Badals.
- After the victory of the Congress, he was considered a strong candidate for the post of President.
- After working for almost 2 decades in Lambi constituency, he was denied ticket from Congress.
- On 26 July 2021, he announced along with some loyal members of his party that he was leaving the Congress by claiming that he had been ignored by the party. In an interview he said,
We were feeling neglected for a long time, so took this step. Even Captain Amarinder Singh did not go there even once after contesting the 2017 assembly elections from Lambi. Nobody listened to our problem.”
- On the same day Khudiyan announced his entry into the Aam Aadmi Party. He was declared a candidate from Assembly constituency number 83, Lambi, which is classified as a rural seat, in the AAP’s second list in November.
- Your CM candidate Bhagwant Singh Mannu He also campaigned for Khudiyaan before the election. He said that the family of Khudiyan has faced many atrocities of Badal family during their 10 years of rule. He said that despite all the things, the Khudiyan family has always stood with the people and this time the people of Lambi will teach a lesson to the Badal family for all their atrocities and corruption.
- On winning Badal’s strong seat from the long seat, Gurmeet Singh said,
They have been playing fixed matches for so many years and for the first time elections have been held. Kejriwal ji gave me a ticket for a long time because he knew that I can compete with Badal.
This is a victory for the people. Youth has brought a new revolution. From the very first day people were walking with me and started supporting me.
- In an interview Khudiyaan’s nephew Khushveer Singh said,
He has been working in Long constituency for more than two decades but Congress always denied him ticket. First time he got ticket from AAP and defeated Senior Badal.
- After a resounding victory, Khudiyan celebrated with his family, friends and well wishers. While celebrating at Dana Mandi, he said that he believes in clean politics and said,
I don’t even want to remember Amarinder Singh, who believed in playing fixed matches and has now lost by 13,000 votes. Let’s talk about today and now. This victory belongs to the people of Lambi, who thought of change and dared to defeat Senior Badal. Badalji was lucky, he was the CM of Punjab for five times. I am public servant and believe in clean politics. I believe that now Akal Purakh has blessed me too.”