Harini Logan is an American student of Indian origin who won the Scripps National Spelling Bee 2022.
Harini Logan was born on Friday, 9 May 2008.age 14 years; by 2022) in San Antonio, Texas, US. His zodiac sign is Taurus. He did his schooling at Montessori School in San Antonio, San Antonio, United States. till 2022. She is in 8th grade. Since childhood, she has actively participated in various extra-curricular activities. She also presented a project on France at a multicultural fair at her school.
Hair Color: black
Eye Colour: black
Harini Logan’s parents are from Chennai, India. His father, Logan Anjaneyulu, holds the position of director at Valero Energy Corporation. His mother, Rampriya Logan, worked as a consultant at Cognizant. His younger brother’s name is Naren Logan; He was born on 16 May 2016.
spelling bee competitions
When Harini was in first grade she developed an interest in participating in spelling bee competitions by watching Scripps National Spelling Bee 2013 with her family on TV. He began his journey as a speller in the second grade, participating in the NSF Regional Spelling Bee. In 2019, she became the winner of the San Antonio Express News Regional Spelling Bee for the second time in a row.
She first participated in the Scripps National Spelling Bee in 2018; She finished 323rd in the competition. In 2019, she ranked 30th, and in 2021, she ranked 31st. In the 2020 Canada-USA International Spelling Bee Championship, he finished second. She was the first runner-up at Wishwin’s 2021 Senior Spelathon.
On March 27, 2021, Logan won the Brauntex Bee Regional Spelling Competition at the Brauntex Theater and entered the Scripps National Spelling Bee. On 3 June 2022, she rose to popularity when she won the Scripps National Spelling Bee by defeating Vikram Raju in the competition’s first lightning-round tiebreaker. The competition was held at the Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center in Oxon Hill. During the competition, Harini spelled 22 words correctly as compared to Raju, with ‘Moorhain’ being her last winning word, while Raju spelled only 15 words. Finalists Vikram Raju and Harini Logan failed to spell two consecutive words between rounds 13 and 18, when the jury initiated a 90-second spell-off. It was announced that the contestant who spells the maximum number of words correctly will be the winner. In addition to awards from Merriam-Webster and Encyclopdia Britannica, Logan received a cash prize of $50,000 and a Scripps Cup.
Facts / Trivia
- She was sponsored by the Brauntex Performing Arts Theater Association for the Scripps National Spelling Bee 2022.
- He was coached for the competition by renowned spelling bee coach Grace Walters, who is a Texas native and a student at Rice University.
- Surprisingly, harini were mistakenly dropped from the Scripps National Spelling Bee because of the word “population”, which they defined as “the nest of mating birds”, while the jury ruled that the correct answer was There was a “swarm of bees”. As a result, Walters and Navneet, Harini’s spelling bee coach, accompanied by Harini’s mother, Priya, arrived at the jury, after which Chief Justice Mary Brooks overturned the jury’s decision. He said,
We did a little research after you finished, which is our job, to make sure we made the right decision. We did a little deeper dive into that word and actually the answer you gave to that word is believed to be correct, so we’re going to restate you.”
- In an interview, he talked about the lightning round, which was introduced a few months before the competition and said,
When it was introduced last year, I was a little intimidated, to be honest..I go slow. That’s my thing. I didn’t know how I would perform in that setting.”
- She was a keen reader since childhood.
- An accomplished musician, Harini plays the piano, recorder and guitar.
- She loves creative writing and plans to publish a book by the time she enrolls in high school.
- She takes inspiration from Kamala Harris, the first Indian-American Vice President.
- He is also fond of playing tennis.