Age: 29 Years
Wife: Kritika Sinha
Some lesser known facts about Harmeet Desai
- Harmeet Desai is a senior level table tennis player from India who was awarded the Arjuna Award in 2019. He once again came into limelight by winning the gold medal. sathiyan gyanasekaran In the final match of the table tennis mixed doubles event held at the 2022 Commonwealth Games in Birmingham.
- According to Harmeet Singh, his journey as a table tennis player started at the age of six.
- Harmeet Desai claimed that she had to change schools frequently as most of the schools she attended did not give her any concession in attendance; Hence, it became very difficult for him to cope as he had to manage his table tennis career and school attendance at the same time. He also claimed that due to his busy schedule, he had to miss classes and could only appear for exams in school. In an interview he claimed,
I have attended many schools because I have changed many schools; In fact about nine schools. So it was very difficult for me to achieve my goal like this. I had to travel a lot when I was playing tournaments. So at that time my school in the city did not try to understand. I had to miss classes a lot. Though I was a good student along with being good at studies, I could only appear for the exam. Some schools never really supported me and it forced me to change schools again and again. ,
- During the early phase of his career, he was coached by his father. Harmeet also claimed in an interview that his father had to quit his job to help him train for his table tennis tournament. he said,
My father taught me to play table tennis. He taught me the basics of the game. He even quit his job so that he could give me more time.”
- After his father, Harmeet Desai was coached by Swedish Olympic medalist Peter Karlsson and under his guidance, Harmeet Desai participated and won many state, national and international level tournaments.
- In 2001, Harmeet Desai joined the Petroleum Table Tennis Academy (PTTA) in Ajmer, where he was coached by Yin Wei, an ace table tennis player from China.
- A letter was written by the Prime Minister in 2018 Narendra Modi Harmeet Desai in which he invited table tennis player to join the Swachh Bharat Mission initiative of the Government of India. He asked them to encourage their followers to join the initiative as well.
- In 2019, Harmeet Desai participated in the Fit India Run, supporting the government’s Fit India initiative.
- On 2 August 2022, Harmeet Desai won the gold medal in the mixed doubles event at the 2022 Commonwealth Games (CWG). There they played the final match with sathiyan gyanasekaran against the Singapore table tennis team, and both defeated them by a margin of 3–1.
- In an interview, Harmeet Desai claimed if he had not decided to pursue a career in table tennis; He must have made a career in the Indian Army as an officer. he said,
I think I would have joined the Indian Army as an officer because I was very passionate about it since childhood. I admire men in uniform a lot. I have been very patriotic since childhood. I always wanted to do something for my country. Although what I do is very frivolous for the soldiers of the army. So if it wasn’t a table tennis player, I would have chosen it.”
- After winning several medals for India, Harmeet Desai joined Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) through sports quota.