Age: 54 Years
Hometown: Nagpur, Maharashtra
Date of Death: 27/11/2008
Some lesser known facts about Hemant Karkare
- 26/11 Mumbai attack martyr Hemant Karkare was the chief of the Anti-Terrorist Squad (ATS) of Mumbai.
- According to his daughter Jui Karkare Navare, Hemant, as a child, was so fascinated by reading books that he once stopped at a library called the Ramakrishna Math Library in Nagpur because someone took a child to a large library. Haven’t seen the book read.
- In an interview, Jui Karkare revealed that his father, Hemant Karkare, loved being creative throughout his life and enjoyed the craving for wood.
- Reportedly, Hemant worked in the National Productivity Council and Hindustan Lever Limited (now Hindustan Unilever Limited) after completing his graduation in mechanical engineering and later decided to appear for the civil services exam.
- According to sources, after joining the Indian Police Service in 1982, Hemant Karkare worked in the Research and Analysis Wing (RAW) for nine years, from which he was assigned the Indian mission in Vienna, Austria, as a counselor for seven years. went.
- Reportedly, Hemant Karkare’s first appointment as assistant superintendent of police was in 1984 in Bhusaval, a town in northern Maharashtra.
- In an interview, former Research and Analysis Wing chief AS Dulat shared a story when the Research and Analysis Wing (RAW) was searching for information about the hijackers of Indian Airlines flight IC 814 and Hemant Karkare that took off from Kathmandu, Nepal. was trying to. Then the Commissioner of Mumbai informed RAW about it. AS Dulat said,
Success came from Mumbai when one of our officers, working continuously for several days without breaks, found a big link. He found a man who had worked with the kidnappers to complete and execute the conspiracy and who suddenly opened up a secret treasure trove for us. That man was Hemant Karkare, our intelligence commissioner in Mumbai. ,
- Reportedly, working with the United Nations on several tasks, Hemant Karkare served a separate six-year stint in the Cabinet Secretariat in the Prime Minister’s Office.
- Hemant Karkare is remembered for his excellence in solving various cases including blast cases in Thane, Vashi and Panvel.
- According to Hemant’s daughter Jui Karkare Navare, her father received an urgent call at around 09:45 pm while he was having dinner with his family about the firing at Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus in south Mumbai. According to sources, when Karkare reached Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus, he found platform number 01 empty. Reportedly, the targets of 26/11 attacks included Chabad House, Rang Bhawan Lane near Cama Hospital, Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminus, Cafe Leopold etc.
- After learning about the situation near Cama and Albless Hospital, Hemant, accompanied by two officers – Additional Commissioner of Mumbai Police Ashok Kamte and encounter specialist Inspector Vijay Salaskar – and a constable, headed towards the location. Reportedly, Hemant – wearing a bulletproof jacket that could only resist 9mm bullets and a service pistol – asked for reinforcements for about forty minutes, but did not receive them. According to reports, Karkare along with Ashok Kamte and Vijay Salaskar was gunned down by a terrorist near Cama and Albless Hospital; However, some sources claimed that Karkare and others were shot by Ajmal Masab with his AK-47.
- Reportedly, Hemant’s last words were on 26 November 2008 at 11:28 pm, instructing to control the situation near Cama Hospital and requesting to send Army to the place for backup. Hemant’s last words were,
The ATS and QRT teams are here at the back gate of the hospital and also the Crime Branch team. So we need a team from the front. We need to surround and surround Cama.”
- Reportedly, Sadhvi Pragya – one of the prime accused in the Malegaon blasts case – made a controversial statement on Karkare’s death, calling it the result of her bad deeds (karma). Talking about Karkare’s death in an interview, Sadhvi Pragya said,
Hemant Karkare has falsely implicated me [in Malegaon blasts] and treated me very badly. I told him that all your lineage would be destroyed. He died by his karma. ,
- In memory of his father Hemant Karkare, Jui Karkare Navare wrote a memoir titled ‘Hemant Karkare – A Daughter’s Memoir’ (2019). In an interview, she talked about it and said that she was able to put herself together as she was writing feelings about the loss of her father and sharing some of the moments she spent with him.