Height: 5′ 6″
Age: 19 Years
Some lesser known facts about Iman Velani
- Iman Vellani is a Hollywood actress who rose to fame with her first role as a Marvel superhero in 2022.
- She was born in Pakistan and her parents moved with her to Canada when she was just one year old.
- In 2019, she went to the Toronto International Film Festival to participate as a member of the TIFF Next Wave Committee. In the same year, the Ms. Marvel series was announced which caught Vellani’s attention.
- Vellani has been a big fan of Marvel and Iron Man since childhood and decided to try her luck at auditioning for Ms. Marvel. She was auditioned for the lead role of Kamala Khan in Ms. Marvel via a zoom call. Kamala Khan’s character co-producer Sana Amanat auditioned her and during the audition she learned that Vellani was a huge Marvel fan.
- During the audition, Vellani showed her entire room to Sana Amanat, co-executive producer of the Ms. Marvel project. Sana was impressed to see the entire room full of Marvel posters of Vellani. She highlighted Vellani’s audition for the team as she was very similar to the main character of Ms. Marvel and was also a fan of Marvel. In an interview, Sana talked about this and said,
He showed me every corner of his room, and it was covered in Avengers. Then he said, ‘Oh wait, I’m not done,’ he opened his cupboard, and there were more miracles everywhere.’
- After graduating, Vellani planned to attend the Ontario College of Art and Design University to study integrative media, but fate had other plans for her. In September 2020, on her last day in high school, she was cast to play the lead role of Kamala Khan in Ms. Marvel.
- In 2020, he tried his hand at directing and directed two short films which were i don’t want b alone and push.
- A few days before the release of her series, she also appeared in a short documentary film, A Fan’s Guide to Miss Marvel. The short film included interviews with Vellani and the film production team.
- This mini-series was released on Disney+ on 8 September 2022. The series and Vellaani’s performance were positively reviewed by critics and audiences. In this mini-series, he co-starred with Laurel Marsden, Yasmin Fletcher, Mohan Kapoor, Azhar Usman, Matt Lintz, Sagar Shaikh and Zenobia Shroff. This mini-series was created as a part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU), which has entered its fourth phase with new superheroes and their supporting characters.
- Vellani belongs to a Muslim family and played the character of Kamala, who had a similar origin to her. In an interview, he talked about this experience and said,
Growing up, I felt very disconnected from my culture and religion because I grew up in Canada. I didn’t have any brown friends who weren’t from my mosque and I didn’t hang out with them. While filming the show, I learned a lot about my lineage. It’s such a special thing that I get to share with the character, and that’s because I was working with so many incredible creators who were from Muslim or Pakistani backgrounds.’
- Vellani has also been cast for The Marvel, the next film in the Marvel franchise, which will be released on 28 July 2023.