Age: 39 Years
Marital Status: Married
Hometown: Jalandhar, Punjab
Some lesser known facts about Jaiveer Shergill
- Jaiveer Shergill is an Indian Supreme Court lawyer and politician. They have client bases in India, Dubai, Australia and the US. He served as the spokesperson of the Indian National Congress party till 24 August 2022. He left the party on 24 August 2022 due to sycophancy in the party.
- Jaiveer Shergill is considered the youngest national media panelist of the Indian National Congress, the youngest spokesperson of the Congress Party (Punjab Pradesh Congress Committee) for Punjab, and the youngest to be appointed as the co-chairman of the Congress Legal Cell. are persons. Punjab.
- In 2000, when Jaiveer Shergill was studying in class XI, he had the opportunity to meet Atal Bihari Vajpayee The then Prime Minister of India.
- During his college days, Jaiveer Shergill was a brilliant student who used to participate in many extra-curricular activities organized in the college. When he was studying in college, he was elected the president of the student union.
- In 2006, soon after graduating from the West Bengal College of Law, he started practicing law at the Bar Council of Delhi. He started practicing as a Law Associate with Economic Law Practice, a well-known law firm in India and specialized in Tax and Commercial matters.
- In 2008, Jaiveer joined Shergill Chambers Abhishek SinghviA senior advocate, a Rajya Sabha MP and a spokesperson of the Indian National Congress.
- Later, Jaiveer Shergill began practicing in the Supreme Court of India and advocated several high-profile cases, for example, he was on the panel of lawyers who reported the highest tax liability of US$2.2 billion. Represented Vodafone India against the Income Tax Department. , In this case, Vodafone refused to pay income tax of Rs. 2000 crore (US$330 million) and mentioned in its statement that the proceeds from shares by the company were a foreign tax transaction from Mauritius. it said,
This had the effect of transferring (i.e. selling) all its assets in India from one party to another, with no tax liability in India on the sale, whether sales tax or capital gains tax or any other tax.
- From 2008 to 2009, Jaiveer Shergill served as Young India representative to the International Bar Association, the world’s most prestigious lawyers’ organization.
- In 2011, Jaiveer Shergill represented his client Shakhadri in a controversial religious dispute in which two religious communities in the state of Karnataka claimed to hold religious prayers at the same place.
- In 2016, in a media interview, Jaiveer Shergill revealed a mantra to father for a successful marriage after the birth of a child. He said,
Hence, for a successful marriage, it is important that today’s fathers take up all the responsibilities including changing the diapers of the child :-).
In the discussion, he said that he was a new-age father who did all the household chores to support his wife after having a baby. he said,
I am a ‘new age’ father who changes diapers, feeds breakfast/lunch/dinner and is an equal stakeholder, support provider to my wife in terms of raising our daughter.”
- In 2022, Jaiveer Shergill advocated the case of Vistara, a new joint venture of the Tata Group and Singapore Airlines, in the Supreme Court and the Delhi High Court. The petition was filed by the Vistara management to block the entry of foreign airlines in India.
- Soon after entering Indian politics, Jaiveer Shergill was appointed as the National Media Panelist for the Indian National Congress Party, Punjab Pradesh Congress spokesperson and Co-Chairman of the Congress Party’s Legal Cell in Punjab.
- During his tenure in the Indian National Congress, Jaiveer Shergill was instrumental in starting a 24×7 legal toll-free helpline number for Congress workers to get legal assistance when facing legal matters. He also advocated for issues related to raising voice against the economic and social conditions in India, poor condition of schools in Punjab, drug use, safety of women etc.
- As a member of a political party in India and a Supreme Court lawyer, Jaiveer Shergill often contributes to well-known publications in India on issues related to terrorism, functions of parliament, government policies related to digital infrastructure, financial planning, Employment generation, ill-effects of drug use and governance.
- In 2022, Jaiveer Shergill was invited by the United States government to participate in a three-day conference organized at the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) Headquarters in Brussels, Belgium, along with other policy-making officials from India to discuss issues related to can be talked For security between India, Afghanistan and Pakistan.
- Jaiveer likes to fly his own private plane in his spare time.
- According to Jaiveer Shergill, he likes to cook at his home as a hobby. In a conversation with a media house during the Kovid-19 lockdown in India, he talked about his daily routine. He said that he started his day with exercise and loved making chocolate cakes, gobi parathas and grilled vegetables. he said,
I start my day with exercise in the morning. I’ve set up a 21-day challenge to try my hand at 21-cooking recipes that involve making chocolate cake, gobi parathas and grilled vegetables. Also, I am learning how to tie a turban. ,
- On 24 August 2022, Jaiveer Shergill left the Indian National Congress party saying that sycophancy “eats Congress like termites.” At a media conference, he revealed that party members are no longer entertained by higher officials. he said,
The Congress party’s decision no longer matches with the ground reality. I have been seeking time from Rahul Gandhi, Sonia Gandhi and Priyanka Gandhi Vadra for over a year now, but we are not welcome in the office.”
In a letter to Congress President Sonia GandhiHe wrote that the decisions and attitudes of the party officials no longer matched the aspirations of a young and modern India. He wrote,
Further, I am sad to say that decision making is no longer in the interest of the public and the country. Rather it is influenced by the selfish interests of persons indulging in sycophancy and constantly ignoring the ground realities. It’s something I can’t ethically accept or continue to work with.”