Wife: Shahana Khan
Hometown: Uttar Pradesh
Age: 57 Years
Some lesser known facts about Jameel Khan
- Jameel Khan is an Indian actor best known for his role as Santosh Mishra in the web series Gullak (2019).
- After completing his graduation, he moved to Mumbai to become an actor and lived in a one-room kitchen in Mumbai for many years.
- When he was in school, he participated in several theater competitions and won many recognitions for this, including the Geoffrey Kendall Trophy. He was part of the Sabrang Theater Group in Aligarh. He was one of the founding members of the Indian People’s Theater Association in Aligarh.
- In 1992, he was part of the crowd in the play by Julius Caesar. Naseeruddin ShahTheater Group Motley Fool. She has worked with him in plays like Manto… Ismat Haazir Hain, Katha Collage, Safed Jhooth Kali Salwar, The Cane Mutiny Court Martial, Faust and The Chairs among others. In an interview, he spoke to Shah about his friendship and said,
Naseeruddin Shah is my mentor and my friend throughout my life. A lot can be learned from him. I have been associated with him for 20 years. He always smiles whenever I tell him that he is my mentor. It is a privilege for me to share the stage with so much talent.”
- Being a Muslim, he used to fast before Eid. In an interview, he had said that when he was in college, he used to play football tournaments during his fast. In the interview he further said,
I stayed at Sherwood College, Nainital for 10 years. There used to be a very wide spread for Iftar and even Sehri. My non-Muslim friends were jealous of that spill, but were always afraid of how we could live without water for almost 15 hours. I wonder how I was able to play football tournaments and games while fasting. ,
- After completing his schooling, he wanted to do engineering but did not get enough marks to study. Later, he started studying history at Aligarh Muslim University, but his father wanted him to appear in the civil services examination. He also learned Urdu while studying in Aligarh.
- In an interview, he had said that he had initially rejected the script of the web series Gullak, but later he liked the story a lot. In the interview, he further said,
You would be surprised to know that I had initially turned down this role… After reading a few pages I thought it was like TV. The author then asked me to listen to him. He told me the whole story, and I thought it was great, something I shouldn’t have missed. ,
- He appeared in Hindi films including Chalte Chalte (2003), Cheeni Kum (2007), Gangs of Wasseypur (2012), Tiger Zinda Hai (2017), and Puglet (2021).
- In 2001, he appeared in the television show ‘Parsai Kehte Hain’.
- He appeared in various television commercials for Asian Paints, Pan Vilas Pan Masala, Castor Oil, Alpenliebe Lollipops and Dairy Milk.
- He did not receive any honors for twenty-five years, before winning the award for ‘Best Actor (Comedy Series)’ for “Gullak” in 2021. In an interview, he talked about getting the award after such a long time and said,
I would like to believe that the biggest sign of success is being a working actor for the last 25 years and getting recognized for our work by the audience. Awards and stardom go to few people but if the goal is to become an actor then it is important for me to stay relevant to acting projects and craft, not awards.