Jerlin Anika Jayarachgan is an Indian deaf badminton player. She came into limelight in May 2022, when she won 3 gold medals at the Deaflympics held in Caxias do Sul, Brazil. That and these medals in the team event, mixed doubles event and women’s singles event.
Jarlyn Anika was born on Monday, 18 October 2004 (age 18 years; by 2022) in Madurai, Tamil Nadu. Their zodiac sign is Libra. She completed her primary schooling from Avavai Corporation GHSS, Madurai and her higher education from St. Joseph’s Girls Higher Secondary School, Tamil Nadu.
Height (approx.): 5′ 5
Hair Color: black
Eye Colour: black
parents and siblings
His father’s name is J. Jaya Ratchagen and they are a small businessman. Jarlyn Anika’s mother Lima is a housewife. she has a brother.
she is not married.
Jerlin Anika was one of the participants in the Federation of India School Games at the 2016 Badminton Championships. In these championships, she won a silver medal in the under-13 category and was a class 9th student at St. Joseph’s Girls Higher Secondary School, Tamil Nadu. Jerlin Anika was the winner of a badminton championship held in Hyderabad in 2017. This victory opened the way for him to participate in the Summer Deaflympics in the same year. When she was 13 years old, Jerlin Anika competed in the women’s singles and women’s doubles events, which were held during the Summer Deaflympics in Turkey. She was considered as the youngest participant who finished 5th and became the first athlete along with Prithvi Shekhar from Tamil Nadu to participate in these badminton championships. Jerlin Anika was the winner of two silver medals and one bronze medal at the East Asia Pacific Deaf Badminton Championships held in Malaysia in 2018. She was the winner of bronze medal in the senior category in the women’s doubles events held in the 5th Asia Pacific. Deaf Badminton Championship. During the same championship, Jerlyn Anika won silver medals in singles and doubles events in the under-21 girls’ category. When she was 15 years old, she won a gold medal in the girls’ singles final match of the World Youth Badminton Championships in 2019. In this match, her rival Finja Rosendahl of Germany lost the match to Gerlin Anika and won the competition. , Jerlin Anika became a young deaf world champion. The second edition of the World Deaf Youth Badminton Championships was held in the same year, and Gerlin Anika won silver medals in the girls’ doubles and mixed doubles events. In September 2021, Gerlin Anika was one of the participants in the 24th Summer Deaflympics held in Caxias do Sul in Brazil, and in May 2022, she won three gold medals in the team event, mixed doubles event and women’s singles event.
Facts / Trivia
- Her full name is Jarlyn Anika Jayarachgan.
- Jerlyn Anika was diagnosed with hearing disability at the age of 2. He started playing badminton at the age of 8. Her father helped her play badminton so that she could distract herself from her disability while concentrating on the sport.
- Jerlyn Anika’s coach T. Saravanan said in an interview with the media house that Jerlyn Anika was a very focused badminton player, with good hand-eye coordination. T Saravanan explained,
Gerlin had good hand-eye coordination and was very focused. Hard work as well as talent helped him to achieve such a great feat. All credit goes to him and his determination to win. I was just a guide. ,
In the same conversation, he said that reading gestures and lips on the ground was the only way for Jerlyn to communicate with Anika. He further recalled that in the beginning, sometimes Jerlyn Anika used to feel anxious because of the crowd on the field, due to which she had to lose a few matches. He further revealed that Jerlin practices badminton for 8 to 10 hours a day.
- His father J. According to Jeya Rachgen, initially it was very difficult for her to enroll Jerlyn Anika in the national level matches as the badminton equipment and travel expenses were too expensive. In a conversation with the media house, he said that his family and relatives helped him a lot financially in managing these expenses. J. Jeya Rachgen said,
It costs at least Rs 50,000 to participate in a national level match. Thanks to a few friends and family members, we were able to manage. Since 2019, we have received financial assistance from state government and private companies to meet the travel expenses.
In this conversation, J. Jeya Rachgen said that apart from badminton, Jerlyn Anika loved fashion and clothes. He said,
The only thing that Jerlin likes apart from badminton is fashion and clothes.”
- According to her coach T. Saravanan, Jerlin Anika’s reaction time to the shuttle stops her performance while playing in the badminton field. Talking to a media reporter, he said that normal players can easily get an idea of the speed of the shot when the shuttle hits the racket. However, Jerlyn Anika used this disadvantage as her advantage without being distracted by other noises.
- In 2021, Jarlyn Anika received a scholarship of ₹3.25 lakh from HCL Company. In a press conference held at an event in Noida, HCL Foundation Director Nidhi Pundhir said that the scholarship was given to Jerlin Anika so that her father and coach could accompany her to the Deaflympics and the company was playing a small role. Boost his motivation.