Wife: Paridhi Shroff
Hometown: Ahmedabad, Gujarat
Age: 35 Years
Some lesser known facts about Karan Adani
- Karan Adani is an Indian businessman and descendant of the Adani Group. He . is the eldest son of gautam adani, an Indian business tycoon and founder of the Adani Group. As of September 2022, Karan’s father is the richest person in India and Asia and the third richest person in the world.
- He grew up in a Gujarati family in Ahmedabad, Gujarat.
- After pursuing his graduation in economics, Karan joined his family business Adani Ports and SEZ Limited as a director.
- He started by learning the intricacies of port operations at Mundra Port, Kutch, Gujarat. Reportedly, Karan used to travel to Mundra port by train during his first two years at Adani Port and SEZ Ltd; He traveled by train at Mundra Port for a better understanding of the diversified portfolio.
- In 2014, under his leadership, Adani Ports & SEZ Limited won the Economic Times Award in the Emerging Company category. Karan Adani received the award on behalf of the company.
- In 2016, Karan was promoted to the post of Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Adani Port and SEZ Limited.
- As the head of the organisation, Karan worked for the expansion and development of Adani ports and terminals, industrial land and logistics by arranging several missions.
- In 2018, Karan-led APSEZ acquired 97% stake in Marine Infrastructure Developer from Larsen & Toubro for Rs. 1,950 crore, acquiring ownership of Kattupalli port in Tamil Nadu (about 30 km from Chennai port and adjacent to Ennore port). Kattupalli port is the 10th port of APSEZ network. Talking about the acquisition during an interview, Karan Adani said,
We are grateful to the Government of Tamil Nadu and the Ministry of Commerce for granting approvals in record time. Adani Ports is committed to make Katupally Port one of the largest ports in Southern India. We are going to start our construction to diversify the cargo of the port and will add 40 MMT of new capacity over the next three years. We are confident that with our improved infrastructure and efficient handling of cargo, we will be able to reduce the logistics cost of industries in the region and become one of the engines of growth.
- In the same year, Karan made it to Forbes India’s first ‘Tycoon of Tomorrow’ list of 22 Young Achievers.
- Clearly, under the leadership of Karan Adani, Adani Ports and SEZ Limited (APSEZ) has grown from two ports to 10 ports and terminals in a matter of few years.
- In 2019, the Adani Group entered into a 50-year public-private partnership with the Airports Authority of India to operate and develop six airports in smaller “non-metro” cities across the country. Airports included Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel International Airport, the popular Gopinath Bordoloi International Airport, Jaipur International Airport, Chaudhary Charan Singh International Airport, Mangalore International Airport and Trivandrum International Airport. The projects were handed over to Karan Adani for execution.
- Known for his insightful approach and unparalleled execution skills, Karan Adani was instrumental in the acquisition of Ambuja Cements and ACC by the Adani Group. 640 crores.
- Karan was appointed as the chairman of ACC Limited, an Indian cement producer headquartered in Mumbai, on 16 September 2022. He was also appointed as the non-executive director of Ambuja Cement.
- According to Karan’s Twitter account bio, he is tech-savvy. His bio also stated that he was striving to drive economic growth through sustainable business practices.
- An active philanthropist, Karan has organized many programs and campaigns for the betterment of the society. He has also organized many blood donation camps and has donated blood many times.
- During an interview, Karan revealed that his source of inspiration was his father. He further added that Gautam Adani had given him three kinds of important advice, which helped Karan personally and professionally- first was to stay grounded, second, keep it simple, and third, always consider the scale.