The requirements for Indian Visa requirements fall into few different categories.
In the first part of the form, you are asked basic details including passport number, issue date and expiry date. You should also know the date of your departure and arrival in India, the Indian Visa Application Form expects that you provide this information.
At a high level the Indian Visa Requirements can be broken down into these categories:
- Information required on the application form regarding passport.
- Family details like name of spouse, parents and their country of birth.
- Purpose of visit, you have to select an appropriate India Visa Types.
- You must be of good character and have no criminal proceedings pending.
- You need a valid passport, that is valid for 6 months, for detailed guidelines on what your passp ort photo should look like refer to India Visa Passport Requirements.
- You need a valid email address to receive the Visa as this is an eVisa India (Indian Visa Online).
- You need a reference name in India, details on who can be your reference in India check out at India Visa Reference Name.
- You need to know reference name
- Reference phone number
- Reference address
- You are also required to provide a photograph of your face. Instructions on what type of photograph is acceptable for successful outcome and what is not acceptable with examples is provided in more detail at Indian eVisa Airports.
- A reference name in your home country, that is the country of your passport is also required. As to who qualifies for being a reference in your home country, please read through India Visa Home Country Reference.
- You may be asked to provide a proof of funds.
- You are not required to have proof of flight ticket or hotel booking.
- There are visa specific questions such as:
- India Business Visa application asks for website name of your business and website name of the Indian company that is being visited. Further requirements are described at India Businss Online Visa and India Visa for Business Travellers.
- Indian Business Visa ask required an email signature or business card
- India Medical Visa requires that you provide a letter from the hospital with dates, name of procedure/treatment and address of the hospital. You can also bring 2 Medical Attendants with you who can apply for a India Medical Attendant Visa.
- Tourist Visa is valid for a number of purposes as mentioned at India Tourist Visa, if the purpose is short term Yoga course then you will be asked to provide the name of the institute, if the purpose is to meet relatives and friends, then you will be asked to provide the name of your relative/friend.
Indian visa requirement depends on the type of visa you are filing. Basic details required are same, passport details, face photo and passport scan copy is required for all cases. The topic India Visa Documents Required covers visa type specific documents.
Note that for India Visa Requirement you are not supposed to courier the documents, post them or send them to any Indian Embassy office or Government of India office. Only digital scan copies are required in PDF, JPG, PNG format, if you are unable to upload because of size limitation then you can email the attachments to our Help Desk using the Contact Us form form. To re-iterate, there is no need for physical documents for an Indian Visa online. You can provide these documents in 2 manners, either by uploading on this website https://www.www.indiavisa-online.org or by emailing to our help desk. Emailing to our Help Desk opens up the possibility to send us document in any file format and size including but not limited to MP4, AVI, PDF, JPG, PNG, GIF, SVG or TIFF. The size limitation for your face photograph and passport scan photograph is also lifted for email. Note that you can take these photos from your mobile phone on the condition that they are legible and clear, professional scanner is NOT required.
Passport fields are most important for India Visa Requirements being met
If you want your application to be successful, then the most important fields you need to pay heed to are those that relate to your passport. If they are not exactly matched correct as per passport, then the Immigration Officers appointed by the Government of India have the discretion to reject your application. These important fields that require exact match in alphabet by alphabet are:
- Given name
- Middle name
- Family name
- Data of birth
- Place of birth
- Passport place of issue
- Passport number
- Passport issue date
- Passport expiry date
Indian Visa Requirement are most stringent for the passport and face photograph for which a detailed guide is provided. Your passport image should not be very dark or very light, the scan copy of your passport and the application provided details must exactly match. Note that 2 blank pages is NOT a requirement per se of eVisa India (Indian Visa Online) because Government of India never asks for your physical passport. eVisa India or (electronic Indian Visa Online) is issued to you regardless of the number of pages in your passport, the onus is on you to ensure that there are 2 blank pages in your passport. The Immigration Officers at the airport need to stamp for entry/exit, therefore there is an airport requirement that you have 2 blank pages on your passport.
Ensure that you have checked the eligibility for your India eVisa.
United States citizens, United Kingdom citizens, Canadian citizens and French citizens can apply online for India eVisa.
Please apply for a India Visa 4-7 days in advance of your flight.
Business Visa Application Requirements for a India Visa
- Personal AppearanceThe consulate requires you to make a personal appearance to obtain your visa. For this reason A Briggs is unable to assist you with your visa application. We recommend that you contact the consulate directly to obtain the most current forms and requirements before making your personal appearance at:
Consulate General India
2536 Massachusetts Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20008
Tourist Application Requirements for a India Visa
- PassportYou must provide your actual signed passport, including one copy of the personal information page of your passport. Your passport must:
- Be valid for six months beyond the validity of your requested visa
- Contain at least two blank visa pages for the visa stamp (amendments and endorsement pages cannot be used to fulfill this requirement)
- Not be frayed, torn, separating, or altered in any other way
If your passport does not meet these requirements, please contact A Briggs at 800-806-0581 for further details.
- PhotographsYou must provide two color, passport-type photographs that meets the following criteria:
- Be taken within the last three months and printed on high-quality photo paper
- Be taken against an all white background
- Be two inches by two inches
- Provide the full frontal view of your head with your face centered in the middle and displaying a neutral (non-smiling) expression
- You may wear neither eyeglasses nor headwear except for religious purposes
- Your photos should not be affixed to your application and it may not display evidence of adhesive tape or staples
- Glasses cannot be worn in photographs
Additionally, one digital photograph must be upload when completing the online visa application form.
- Driver’s LicenseYou must provide a copy of your driver’s license. Your copy must display your home address as it appears on your visa application form.Please note: Your passport will be shipped back to the address indicated on your application under “Present Address” and the address must match your license or utility bill.
- Visa Application FormThe Consulate of India requires a visa application form that is completed online. To access the form follow this link: https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/visa/index.html. Click on the blue button labeled “Regular Visa Application” in the bottom-left corner to begin the process. Your application must:
- Display your name exactly as it appears in your passportInclude answers for all fieldsBe signed on the first page under the photo, and, on the second page. Both signatures must match the signature in your passportInclude your email address on the online application. Applications missing a personal email address will be rejected by the consulateBe printed on single-sided sheets of paper. Double-sided applications will be rejected. You must fully print the bar code on the bottom of page 1Your passport will be shipped back to the address indicated on your application under “Present Address.”Note: All Tourist applications for U.S. passport holders must ask for Multiple Entries and 120 months validity. Remember that this must also be reflected in all other documentation.
A Briggs provides a guide to assist you in completing the application. To access the guide follow this link: https://abriggs.com/forms?formname=IndiaGuide.pdf or type the address into your browser. At this time A Briggs strongly advises against using the India visa on arrival option because the online authorization process lacks support as well as the travel risks and uncertainty surrounding the process.
- Additional Particulars FormYou must sign and complete the Additional Particulars Form found in this kit. All questions must be answered with a “yes” or “no”. Do not use N/A on the form. In the case of an application for a minor child, both parents must sign the Additional Particulars Form.
- A Briggs Order FormProvide the A Briggs Order Form included in this kit.