Height: 5′ 9″ (approx.)
Some lesser known facts about Singh Kalyan
- Leo Kalyan is a Pakistani-British singer, songwriter and model. His family is originally from India, and some of his relatives still live in Rohtak, Haryana and Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh.
- According to his Instagram account, his favorite pronouns are he, she and they.
- When he was growing up, he used to listen to Bollywood songs of great Indian singers. Lata Mangeshkari, Asha BhosleAnd AR Rahmani, It was from here that his interest in music began to develop. After this he took training in Indian classical music. In an interview, talking about developing an interest in music, he said,
I have been singing songs since the age of 13. I wanted to become a singer since childhood. Initially I used to sing a secret from my family. Once he caught me singing Umrao Jaan in his room. My family did not support me earlier. Even today my father says why don’t you become a music lawyer and a music journalist? I have always loved music. I grew up watching Bollywood from Pakeezah and Umrao Jaan to DDLJ and Kuch Kuch Hota Hai. Songs from these movies were once the soundtrack of my life. I used to steal my mother’s CDs and listen to Lata ji, Asha ji, Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan and AR Rahman – all legends. Somewhere I found my passion for music.”
- In 2013, he released his first cover song. Initially, he used to hide his identity by not showing his face in the music videos.
- After a few years, he went on to appear in music videos for his songs such as “Fingertips” (2015), “Daydream” (2016), “Jesus to a Child” (2018), and “Time Can Wait” (2019) .
- In 2015, he started performing in various stage shows and live events.
- In an interview, Leo talked about his inspirations, saying that he was inspired by the life story of American drag queen RuPaul, and that in music, he looks like famous singers. AR RahmaniMariah Carey, and Janet Jackson.
- In an interview, he talked about the racism he is facing in the UK music industry. he said,
The Brown guys still aren’t signing. Record labels don’t invest in South-Asian talent, so in turn, brown kids don’t pursue music careers. It really is that easy. Think for a moment how many South-Asian people are in the music industry other than MIA… Mainstream platforms like BBC Radio 1 are partly to blame because they don’t support South-Asian artists. Imagine if he hadn’t played a black artist on Radio 1. Imagine he said that ‘all black artists need to go to Radio 1Xtra or BBC Caribbean’. That’s what happens with Brown musicians – they’re in the ghetto for BBC Asian Network, and if they get to the top there, they’re not allowed on mainstream radio. It’s shocking.”
- He has worked as a model and appeared in various modeling assignments. In 2019, she walked the ramp for British-Bangladeshi fashion designer Rahmur Rahman at London Fashion Week.
- Leo Kalyan once shared that it was very difficult for him to tell his family members that he is a homosexual. He first shared it with his sisters, and in his early 20s, he told his mother about his sexual orientation. Then he wrote a letter to his father in which he talked about being gay. Gradually, his family accepted the fact that he was gay.
- During an interview, he talked about being trolled on social media for his sexual orientation. he said,
Indecent comments don’t bother me at all. Because first of all – some of them are really funny, I share them with my friends and we laugh endlessly (laughing emoticons) too, hate comments always remind me just casually living my life – I am really challenging people and societal norms. Which means: I’m doing something right.”
- He has been featured on the cover page of various magazines like GQ (August 2020) and Avenue T (2020).
- Leo Kalyan is often seen smoking cigarettes and drinking alcohol.
- In June 2022, she sang the Bollywood songs ‘Masakali’ and ‘Chura Liya Hai Tumne Jo Dil Ko’ at the baby shower of the Indian actress. Sonam Kapoor Held in London, UK.