Liju Krishna is an Indian screenwriter and film director, who predominantly works in the Malayalam entertainment industry.
Leeju Krishna was born on 23 February.age 30 years; by 2022), and he hails from Malur, Kannur, Kerala. He did his schooling from Mambaram Higher Secondary School, Mambaram, Kerala. After pursuing her film education in Chennai, Liju returned to Kerala, where she attended the School of Drama and Fine Arts, Thrissur.
His father’s name is V Balakrishnan and his mother’s name is PV Radhamani.
relationships / affairs
Reportedly, Leeju Krishna was in a romantic relationship with a crew member who was accused of rape in 2022. Liju introduced the woman through social media and was in a live-in relationship with her. The Women in Cinema Collective (WCC) Facebook page featured a rape victim’s testimony saying that the crew member became pregnant in January 2021, but suffered a miscarriage due to persistent sexual violence.
Liju Krishna started her journey as a writer and director with an independent short film ‘Photogenic’.
In June 2017, she released another independent Malayalam short film ‘Ima’, produced by Malayalam actor Sunny Wayne’s production house Saga Entertainment and featuring veteran actor Pratap Pothen.
In 2014, he designed, wrote and directed the Malayalam drama Moment Just Before Death. A theatrical production of Saga Entertainment, the play premiered at JT PAC in Tripunithura, Kochi. The play depicts the memories of a dying person with the aspect of portraying the traditions and life of northern Kerala in a contemporary light. The lack of intimate theatrical venues (like a black box) made it difficult to host plays across Kerala. Despite the lack of infrastructure, the 75-minute-long play was presented at several festivals including the 8th Theater Olympics and the Indie Best Film Festival (IBESTF) in 2018.
Liju Krishna made her directorial debut in Mollywood with the 2022 political drama film ‘Padavettu’ starring Malayali actor Nivin Pauly. He is also the writer of the film. In 2022, when ‘Padavettu’ was still in post production, Liju was taken into custody by the police for alleged rape.
On 6 March 2022, Liju Krishna was arrested in Kannur, Kerala by a crew member of Liju’s film ‘Padavettu’ after she was accused of rape. Reportedly, the director assaulted the woman several times over a period of six months starting 21 June 2020, before she finally decided to file a complaint. Following a complaint lodged by a woman at the Infopark police station in Kakkanad, the Women in Cinema Collective (WCC) demanded that Liju Krishna should be banned from the film industry till the verdict is out.
Awards, Honors, Achievements
- Received Young Artist Award 2011-12 from Ministry of Culture
- Won Mahindra Excellence in Theater Award (2014) for the play ‘Moment Just Before Death’.
- Received a memento from the Kerala Sangeet Natak Akademi / International Theater Festival of Kerala (ITFOK) in 2015 for the play ‘Moment Just Before Death’.
- Received a memento from the Government of Kerala – Information Department – Public Relations at the National Theater Festival for the play ‘Moment Just Before Death’ in 2015
- musician: Balabhaskar (Violinist)
- film producer: KG George, Satyajit Ray
- Folk singer: CJ Kuttappan
Facts / Trivia
- In an interview, he talks about his similar following in the field of film and theatre, saying,
Cinema and theater are two languages, and when you understand both you are stronger in your creative abilities.”
- After completing his higher education, the director returned to his native place and cast nearly a thousand residents of Malur in his first film, Padavettu (2022). He also provided acting training to junior artists for six months at Malur. Some of them even used their clothes as costumes for the film.