Major Rama Raghoba Rane Wiki, Age, Death, Wife, Family, Biography & More – WikiBio

by TeamAD

Major Rama Raghoba Rane, Param Vir Chakra.

Major Rama Raghoba Rane (then a second lieutenant) was an officer in the Indian Army who participated in the First Indo-Pakistani War of 1947. Ram Raghoba Rane was awarded India’s highest gallantry award, the Param Vir Chakra, for his actions. , under heavy enemy fire, which were crucial for the capture of the Rajouri district of Kashmir. Rama Raghoba Rane became the first living recipient of Param Vir Chakra in the history of the country.


Rama Raghoba Rane was born on Wednesday 26 June 1918.76 years of age at the time of death) at Chendiya village in Karwar district of Karnataka. As a young child, Rane had difficulty studying in district schools because his father was in a transferable job. In the 1930s, as a youth, he was greatly influenced by Mahatma Gandhi’s call to the youth to demand independence from British rule. Rama Raghoba Rane started participating in campaigns related to the non-cooperation movement. When his father came to know about his association with the movement, Rane was sent back to his native village, Chendia. On 10 July 1940, at the age of 22, when World War II was at its peak, Rama Raghoba Rane decided to join the British Indian Army. He was recruited into the Bombay Engineer Regiment, and as a recruit he was given the Commandant’s Cane for his outstanding performance during the training period.

family and caste

Rama Raghoba Rane was from a Konkan Kshatriya Maratha family.

parents and siblings


His father’s name was Raghoba P. Rane, a police constable in Uttara Kannada district of Karnataka.


His mother’s name was Devika Devi.


He married Rajeshwari Devi on 3 February 1955.

Major Rama Raghoba Rane, wife of Param Vir Chakra Jayshree Rane.

Rajeshwari Rane, wife of Major Rama Raghoba Rane, Param Vir Chakra.


There are three sons and one daughter in his family.

Major Rama Raghoba Rane with his wife and children.

Major Rama Raghoba Rane, PVC with his wife and children.


He lived at 23, Ushwant Nagar, Rane Circle, Ganeshkhind Road, Pune, Maharashtra – 411007, India.


during the Second World War

Rama Raghoba Rane joined the army as a non-commissioned officer. Soon after completing his training, he was promoted to the rank of a hero. During World War II he was taken to the Eastern Front to fight the advancing Japanese forces in Burma (now Myanmar). He was part of the 28th Field Company, Engineer Regiment. After an unsuccessful British campaign to gain control of the Arakan provinces, the Japanese attack forced British Commonwealth forces to withdraw to safer places.

ordered to stay back

Naik Rane and a few men were tasked by his commander to stay at the place, to cover the retreating troops and destroy some important properties. They were promised to be evacuated with the help of the British Indian Navy, a help that never came. Due to this Rane and his men crossed the river alone at Buthidong. With the help of his skill and bravery, Rane managed to escape from the Japanese soldiers patrolling the banks of the river. They managed to bring it back to safe lines, and for his actions Ram Raghoba Rane was promoted to the rank of Havildar.

Proceeding with promotion and commissioning in the Indian Army

During World War II, Rane received another promotion. Rane was given a viceroy’s commission and made a zamindar (present-day subedar). After India gained independence, Rane decided to remain in the newly formed Indian Army. He was given a short service commission and promoted to the rank of second lieutenant.

Indo-Pakistani War of 1947-48

After recapturing Jhangar, Nowshera from Pakistani hands, the next step of the Indian Army was to capture and secure Rajouri district. The 4th Dogra Battalion attacked and captured the Barwali Ridge, 11 km north of Nowshera. In an attempt to block Indian progress, the retreating enemy had erected blocks of mines and huge pine trees around the road. Thus it became impossible for infantry and armored squadrons to progress. Rama Raghoba Rane was commanding the 37th Assault Field Company, which was tasked with clearing the barriers so that the columns could move forward safely. On 8 April 1948, clearing the odds, the Pakistani army launched heavy bombardment on the Indian position, as a result of which, 2 soldiers including Rane were killed and 5 were injured. Despite being injured, he continued to clear obstacles. While doing so, Rane and his team came under sporadic fire from the enemy’s machine guns, which meant that the enemy could see them clearly. Despite all this, Rane and his team successfully overcame the odds. Rane realized that the road ahead was still too dangerous for the tanks, so Rane and his men worked through the night to create a safe diversion lane for the tanks to advance. On 10 April 1948, the troops of the 4th Dogra Battalion covered a distance of only 13 km before they once again encountered obstacles. Within two hours, Rane and his men cleared the way for the troops to advance. Heavy enemy fire blocked all routes to clear the minefield, as a result of which Rane used a tank to take cover behind him from Pakistani machine gun fire, as he destroyed the obstacles with the help of explosives. done. His actions from 8 to 11 April 1948 contributed greatly to the march of the army towards Rajouri. Rane not only saved the Indian soldiers but also saved the lives of many civilians.

An excerpt from the Indian Army’s official Param Vir Chakra Citation by Major Rama Raghoba Rane states,

Second Lieutenant Rane, backed by a contingent of tanks, resumed work on the road despite machine-gun fire. He cleared this route for 0630 hours with his will power. The next thousand yards were a slew of barriers and eroded embankments. That was not all. The enemy covered the entire area with machine-gun fire, but with superhuman efforts, despite being wounded, with calm courage and exemplary leadership and complete disregard for personal life, he cleared the road. ,

Career continued after the war

Rama Raghoba Rane became a lieutenant on 14 January 1950. He was further promoted to the rank of Captain on 14 January 1954. By the time he retired in 1968, Rama Raghoba Rane had become a Major in the Army. Even after retirement, he was part of the Indian Army, as he was redeployed by the Army until 1971.

Rama Raghoba Rane as a captain.

Rama Raghoba Rane as a captain.


Major Rama Raghoba Rane was awarded the Param Vir Chakra for his outstanding bravery in the face of the enemy without regard for personal safety.

Major (then Lt.) receiving the Param Vir Chakra by the then President Dr. Rajendra Prasad.

Major (then Lt.) receiving the Param Vir Chakra by the then President Dr. Rajendra Prasad on Republic Day, 1950.


  • The Ship Corporation of India has named one of its crude oil tanker ships MT Lt. Rama Raghoba Rane, PVC to honor the brave soldier.
  • His bust was installed at INS Chapel, a naval warship museum in Karwar.
    Statue of Major Rama Raghoba Rane installed at INS Chapel Naval Warship Museum.

    Statue of Major Rama Raghoba Rane installed at INS Chapel Naval Warship Museum.


He died on 11 July 1994 at Command Hospital, Pune, Maharashtra at the age of 76 due to natural causes.

Facts / Trivia

  • Rama Raghoba Rane and her team worked for 12 to 17 hours straight to remove the obstacles.
  • His contribution resulted in the death of 500 Pakistani invaders, which not only saved innocent civilians, but also drove the invaders out of the area.
  • While serving in the Indian Army, Ram Raghoba Rane was mentioned in dispatch 5 times for his exemplary devotion to duty.
  • Rama Raghoba Rane’s Param Vir Chakra was handed over to Bombay Engineer Group Center by his wife Rajeshwari Devi.
    Ceremony of handing over of medal to Bombay Sappers by his wife to Major Rama Raghoba Rane.

    Ceremony of handing over of medal to Bombay Sappers by his wife to Major Rama Raghoba Rane.

  • Rane’s wife used to call him ‘saheb’.
  • On his deathbed, Rane requested that his body be cremated at the Bombay Engineer Group center.
  • During World War II, Rane shot down a Japanese aircraft with his medium machine gun in Burma.
  • Rane was very much interested in outdoor activities and sports of all kinds.
  • During the 1962 communal riots in Calcutta, Rane often roamed the rioting streets at night to control the rioting mob.

Source link

You may also like

Leave a Comment