Mandakini is an Indian actress and spiritual guide who gained immense popularity with her first Hindi film ‘Ram Teri Ganga Maili’ (1985).
Mandakini aka Yasmin / Yasmin Joseph was born on Tuesday, 30 July 1963.age 59 years; by 2022) in Meerut, Uttar Pradesh. His zodiac sign is Leo.
Height (approx.): 5′ 5″
Hair Color: brown
Eye Colour: hazel blue
Mandakini was born in an Anglo-Indian family. He was born to a British father and Kashmiri mother.
parents and siblings
His mother’s name is Munni Joseph. He has two brothers named Bhanu Joseph and Rustam Joseph. Bhanu is married Gulshan GroverThe ex-wife of Philomina. Mandakini’s younger sister Chhoti has Down syndrome. She has a half-sister named Parveen Khan from her mother’s first marriage.
husband and children
In 1990, she married Indian doctor Kagyur T. Rinpoche Thakur, who was featured as a child model in an advertisement for Murphy Radio.
The couple has a son named Rabbal Joseph and a daughter named Rabje Inaya.
relationships / affairs
In 1995, she came into limelight when she was seen opposite Indian mafia gangster Dawood Ibrahim. Both were spotted at a cricket stadium in Dubai. According to media sources, she was having an affair with him and some news channels claimed that she has a child with Dawood. Later Mandakini denied all such rumours. In an interview in 2005, when he was asked about Dawood, he said,
How long will my name be associated with Dawood? I have said before that I have never had an affair with Dawood. 10 years ago I used to have photos with Dawood, then I used to go abroad often for shows. When I was performing in Dubai, Dawood came and we met. I was like other filmmakers. There was no such thing as an affair between us. A picture published in the newspaper in the year 1994-95 influenced my career. It was said that I am married to Dawood and I have a child with him. While I am married to a Mumbai doctor R Thakur and he has a child with me. We got married in the year 1990.”
Mandakini follows Buddhism.
Mandakini started her career as a model and appeared in various print shoots.
She has also worked as a model for many photoshoots.
At the age of 22, she was noticed by the famous Indian actor-director Raj Kapoor, who offered her the lead role in the Hindi film ‘Ram Teri Ganga Maili’ (1985) with his youngest son. Rajeev Kapoor, Mandakini played the role of Ganga in the film and gained immense popularity with her role in the film.
In 1986, she made her Telugu debut with the film ‘Singhasanam’, in which she played the role of Visha Kanya.
In 1987, she appeared in another Telugu film ‘Bhargav Ramudu’. In 1986, he sang for the music album ‘Dancing City’ released by the Indian musician Bappi Lahiri, Originally, Indian singer Nazia Hassan recorded the songs, but after a tussle between Bappi and Nazia, Bappi Lahiri signed Mandakini.
She has appeared in several Hindi films like ‘Aag Aur Shola’ (1986), ‘Pyaar Karke Dekho’ (1987), ‘Pyaar Mohabbat’ (1988), ‘Hisab Khoon Ka’ (1989), and ‘Taqdeer Ka Tamasha’ . (1990).
In 1990, she made her Bengali debut as Lakshmi in the film Andha Bichar. His other Bengali film is Anterer Bhalobasha (1991) in which he played the role of Jhilik.
In 1990, he started a film production banner ‘AMA Productions’ with his secretary Ajit Dewan and actor Aditya Pancholi. The name of the production was taken from the initials of their names. Later, after a tussle with her business partners, Mandakini left the production house. In 1996, she appeared in the Hindi film ‘Jordaar’ and after that, she left the Hindi film industry.
In June 2022, after nearly 26 years, he returned to the Hindi entertainment industry with a music video called “Maa O Maa”.
Talking about his return in an interview, his brother Bhanu said,
When she used to visit Durga Puja pandals in Kolkata, I noticed that she still has a huge fan following. So, I told him that he should start acting again. She was offered a central role in a serial called Choti Sardani, which was rejected by Mandakini, but she suggested Anita Raj’s name for the role.
bold scene in debut film
In the Hindi film ‘Ram Teri Ganga Maili’ (1985), she wore a white sari for the song ‘Tujhe Bulaye Ye Meri Behen’. In the movie. He was criticized by the audience for such bold scenes in the film. ,
Spot with Dawood Ibrahim
Mandakini’s career faced a downturn after her picture with don Dawood Ibrahim went viral on news channels. She was criticized by the audience and the media for having an alleged relationship with a gangster.
Facts / Trivia
- The legendary Indian actor-director changed his screen name from Yasmin / Yasmin Joseph to Mandakini.
- For her debut Hindi film ‘Ram Teri Ganga Maili’ (1985), she was nominated in the Best Actress category by Filmfare.
- Mandakini had signed the Hindi film ‘Majloom’ before ‘Ram Teri Ganga Maili’ (1985) and the director of the film wanted to change her name to ‘Madhuri’.
- He auditioned for the Hindi films ‘Betaab’ (1981) and ‘Lava’ (1983), but was rejected in the audition round.
- Hindi film ‘Once Upon a Time in Mumbai Dobara!’ In (2013), the character of Sonakshi Sinha Based on Mandakini.
- She is an avid animal lover and has a pet dog named Simba.
- He has received many awards including Golden Jubilee Award.
- He has been featured on the cover page of various magazines.
- Mandakini’s grandfather was the leading figure in England installing telephone cable cables under water, and he was a millionaire.
- Mandakini quit acting in films because after her picture with Dawood went viral, the makers stopped giving her roles in their films.
- After leaving Hindi films, he started working as a spiritual guide. After marrying a former monk, she started practicing Buddhism. Talking about this in an interview, he said,
I was initiated into Tibetan yoga years ago when I was seeking solace in the harshness of the film industry. My teacher was my husband, who is deep in spirituality.”