Age: 63 Years
Hometown: Mumbai, Maharashtra
Husband: Bal Thackeray
Some lesser known facts about Meenatai Thackeray
- Meenatai Thackeray or Meena Thackeray was the wife of famous Indian politician Bal ThackerayHe founded the right-wing pro-Marathi and Hindu nationalist political party Shiv Sena, which is mainly active in the state of Maharashtra.
- Meena never did active politics, but she actively assisted her husband in the formation of Shiv Sena. She also worked towards the establishment of the women’s wing of Shiv Sena Mahila Aghadi, formed by Bal Thackeray in 1985.
- In 1990, Balasaheb and Meenatai laid the foundation stone of Ramdham Old Age Home near Khopoli, Maharashtra. The couple were inspired to set up an old age home after watching a black-and-white film based on the life of Gadge Maharaj, an Indian monk-saint and social reformer who developed residential centers to shelter the homeless and spent the rest of their lives . there.
- In an interview, describing Meena’s death in an interview, Bal Thackeray She revealed that she had forgotten to take her emergency bottle of medicines with her while on her way to Karjat. This incident led to Bal Thackeray renouncing his religious belief and becoming an agnostic after which he discarded the Rudraksha beads given to him by Swami Gagangiri Maharaj and removed all the images of Lord Ganesha from his house. he said,
There was no medicine when he needed it and we lost him. What’s the use if the gods don’t come to your aid when needed. I have removed all the pictures of Ganesh from my house. But there will be a picture of him.”
- In 2019, Indian actress Amrita Rao played the role of Meena Thackeray in the Bollywood biographical film ‘Thackeray’.