Height: 4′ 9″
Age: 21 Years
Hometown: Kolkata, West Bengal
Some lesser known facts about Mehuli Ghosh
- Mehuli Ghosh is an Indian shooter. She started her career in sports shooting in 2014, and since then, she has represented India in various international junior shooting championships all over the world. On 13 July 2022, Mehuli Ghosh along with her shooting partner Shahu Tushar Mane won the gold medal in the 10m Air Rifle Mixed Team Finals at the ISSF Shooting World Cup held in Changwon, Korea.
- In a media interaction, Mehuli said that she started watching rifle shooting and swimming on television in 2013. In 2014, she joined the Serampore Rifle Club, and her father fought hard for money so that she could participate in her favorite sports. He said,
I found shooting very interesting as it was not a famous sport. Then I started collecting news and other relevant information about the shoot. My father, being a temporary employee in the Government of West Bengal, struggled for a year to collect enough money to allow me to pursue my passion. Then I joined Serampore Rifle Club in 2014.
- Later, during a practice session at Serampore Rifle Club, he accidentally fired one of his shots at a spectator, and was banned by the club. Thereafter, she joined the Joydeep Karmarkar Shooting Academy, where former Indian Olympic finalist and Arjuna Awardee Joydeep Karmakar began mentoring her.
- Mehuli Ghosh used to receive psychological counseling after going into depression soon after she was banned by the Serampore Rifle Club. His parents wanted to boost his morale in sports so they consulted a psychiatrist.
- In 2016, he won two gold medals and seven silver medals at the Indian National Shooting Championship held in Pune. In 2017, she was the winner of eight gold and three bronze medals in various National Junior Shooting Championships.
- In 2017, at the Junior Shooting Championships held in the Czech Republic, Mehuli participated in the Preparatory Championships and finished seventh. In the same year, at the Junior World Shooting Championships held in Germany, she finished seventeenth. At the Asian Champions held in Wako City, Japan in December 2017, Mehuli scored 420.1 during the championship in 10m rifle shooting and secured the Youth Olympics 2018 quota place.
- Mehuli is a fitness enthusiast. She regularly practices yoga at home to increase the concentration power of her mind.
- In 2018, Mehuli Ghosh won two World Cup medals at the ISSF World Cup in Mexico and became one of India’s youngest contenders. In the same year, he was authorized to participate in the 2018 Commonwealth Games. She was the winner of silver medal in women’s 10m air rifle during the XXI Commonwealth Games held in Gold Coast, Australia. She defeated her rival Martina Veloso, who was from Singapore. Shortly after this victory, she rose to the world ranking by the International Shooting Sport Federation (ISSF), ranked sixth in Asia and third in the world.
- In 2018, during the Junior Shooting Championships held in the Czech Republic, she was the only Indian shooting athlete to reach the finals of the competition and finished seventh. In 2018, at the ISSF World Cup Championships, Mehuli won two bronze medals.
- Mehuli won the gold medal during the South Asian Games held in Nepal in 2019.
- In a media interview, Mehuli Ghosh revealed that she loved watching sporty, comedy and horror movies in her spare time.
- In 2019, the Chief Minister of West Bengal, Mamata Banerjee Special Sports Award to Mehuli Ghosh for excellence in shooting sport.
- In 2020, during the Sportstar Aces Awards ceremony, she was honored with the “Female Young Athlete of the Year” award.
- She is quite active on various social media platforms. More than 6 thousand people follow Mehuli on Instagram. She often posts her pictures and videos on social media. More than 8 thousand people follow his Twitter handle. More than 26 thousand people follow him on Facebook.
- She is associated with Joydeep Karmakar Shooting Academy and Club in West Bengal.
- Mehuli Ghosh is the recipient of a letter of appreciation from the Prime Minister Narendra Modi For his exceptional performance in the sports category.
- Apart from shooting, Mehuli Ghosh likes to practice karate and swimming in her spare time. She prefers to travel to distant places like Maldives as she loves beaches.
- According to Mehuli Ghosh, his inspiration for choosing shooting as a sports career at the age of seventeen was Abhinav Bindra and Joydeep Karmakar. In a conversation with the media, Mehuli told that when she was eight years old, she started watching all the matches. Abhinav Bindra, He said,
I was 8 years old, I didn’t know much what was going on, but I kept watching, until this guy won the only individual gold medal for India at the Olympics! in a second i wanted to win this too..thousands must have dreamed the same..thanks sir.
- Mehuli Ghosh is a dedicated environmental advocate, and loves to plant saplings at her home.
- According to Mehuli Ghosh, she loves home-cooked Chinese and Bengali food, but she hates eating carrots.