Mirabai Chanu is an Indian weightlifter who won a silver medal in the women’s 49 kg category at the Olympics (2020) held in Tokyo.
Saikhom Mirabai Chanu was born on Monday 8 August 1994.age 28 years; by 2022In Manipur his zodiac sign is Leo. As a child, she used to travel around 44 km daily for her training in weightlifting as there was no weightlifting training center in her village. Talking about this in an interview, he said,
The coach would give us a diet chart in which chicken and milk were an essential part. But, due to her family situation, she could not afford it every day. ,
Height (approx.): 4′ 11″
Weight (approx): 48 kg
Hair Color: dark brown
Eye Colour: black
parents and siblings
His father, Saikhom Kriti Meitei, works in the Public Works Department. His mother, Saikoham Ongbi Tombi Lima, is a shopkeeper. He has five elder siblings, a brother named Saikhom Sanatomba Meitei and two sisters named Saikhom Rangita and Saikhom Shaya.
In 2008, he started his training in weightlifting at Khuman Lampak Sports Complex in Imphal. When she was 11 years old, she won a gold medal in the regional weightlifting competition for the first time. In 2011, she participated in the International Youth Championship and won a gold medal in it. Mirabai won the Best Weightlifter award at the Junior National Championship (2013) in Guwahati. At the Commonwealth Games (2014) in Glasglow, she lifted a total of 170 kg and won a silver medal in the women’s 48 kg category. On 31 August 2015, Mirabai was appointed as a Senior Ticket Collector in the Indian Railways. In 2016, she qualified in the women’s 48kg category at the Rio Olympics, but could not win a medal in the event. Talking about this during an interview, he said,
I was really low after the Olympics. It took me a long time to get over the disappointment. I even thought about quitting the sport and stopping training. The comments on social media, criticism against my coach really hurt me.”
In 2017, she was selected in the women’s 48 kg category at the World Weightlifting Championships in Anaheim, CA, United States. After nearly 22 years, she won the gold medal for India by lifting a total of 194 kg. Earlier, Indian weightlifter Karnam Malleswari won a gold medal at the World Weightlifting Championships 1994 and a gold medal at the World Weightlifting Championships 1995. Mirabai then represented India at the Commonwealth Games 2018 and won India’s first gold medal in women’s under 48 weightlifting. kg square. In the 2020 Tokyo Olympics, Chanu became the second Indian weightlifter to win a medal at the Olympics, only after Indian weightlifter Karnam Malleswari. On 15 January 2022, Mirabai was appointed as Additional Superintendent of Police (Sports) by the then Chief Minister of Manipur N Biren Singh, He also received a check of Rs 1 crore as a reward.
On 25 February 2022, she was eligible to participate in the Commonwealth Games (2022) under the 55 kg category. He qualified after winning a gold medal at the Singapore Weightlifting International Competition. He has been coached under Indian coaches Vijay Sharma and Aaron Horschig.
- Gold- Gold Coast (2018)
- Silver – Tokyo Olympics (2020)
Chanu set a record by lifting 119 kg in clean and jerk at the Asian Championships in Tashkent in April 2021.
- Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award for Weightlifting in 2018
- BBC Indian Sportswoman of the Year in 2021
Facts / Trivia
- In her free time, she likes to travel, listen to music, and play basketball.
- She follows a non-vegetarian diet.
- One of his favorite dishes is Manipuri Vegetable Stew named Kangsoi.
- During an interview, he shared that his idol Indian weightlifter was Kunjarani Devi. He said,
When I was a kid, I saw Kunjarani Devi for the first time, the game looked so appealing, I was amazed how she was lifting such a heavy weight. So I told my parents that I wanted to do it, very reluctantly they agreed. In our state you can compare Kunjarani with weightlifting and Sania Mirza with tennis. Every Manipuri girl wanted to be like him. I saw Kunjarani Devi’s performance in the 2004 Olympics and dreamed of podium glory.
- Chanu had to miss her sister Shaya’s wedding to participate in the World Weightlifting Championships (2017). Talking about this during an interview, he said,
Everyone back home was upset by my decision to miss my sister’s wedding. I came to California on November 12 to prepare for war because I wanted to erase the bad memories of my disappointing Rio Olympic campaign. This gold is the best wedding gift I could have given to my sister.”
- His first wish after winning the silver medal at Tokyo Olympics 2020 was to eat pizza from Domino’s. Later, Domino’s India officials promised Chanu free pizza for life.
- The then Chief Minister of Manipur on 24 July 2021 N Biren Singh Announced a reward of one crore rupees for Chanu for winning silver medal in Tokyo Olympics. Later, while talking to Chanu via video call, Biren Singh said,
The state government will give you Rs 1 crore. You will no longer collect tickets at railway stations and trains. I am reserving a special post for you. I am meeting Honorable Home Minister in the evening. I’m not going to reveal any more details right now and keep it as a surprise to you.”
- In 2021, he was appointed as the brand ambassador of the Indian football club North Eastern Re-Organizing Cultural Association FC.
- In the same year, she was featured on the cover of the October edition of Vogue magazine.
- In 2021, Mirabai was chosen as the face of the ‘Stay in Play’ campaign by Adidas India.