Pooja Dhanda is an Indian freestyle wrestler who competes in the 57 kg women’s wrestling events. In 2019, he received the prestigious Arjuna Award.
Pooja Dhanda was born on Saturday, 1 January 1994.age 28 years; by 2022) at Budana village in Narnaund, Hisar district, Haryana, India. His zodiac sign is Capricorn. He got his higher education from Govt. College, Hisar, Haryana.
Height (approx.): 5′ 4″
Weight (approx): 57kgs
Hair Color: black
Eye Colour: brown
Pooja Dhanda belongs to a Hindu Haryanvi family.
parents and siblings
Her father works as a truck driver for the Haryana Animal Husbandry Center in Ajmer Dhanda, Hisar.
His mother Kamlesh Dhanda is a housewife.
Pooja Dhanda’s elder brother Sumit Dhanda is working as Sub Fire Officer in Haryana Fire Service Hisar.
Pooja Dhanda started her career as a judo wrestler and made her debut in the Asian Cadet Judo Championship in 2007 and won a bronze medal in her weight category. He then won a gold medal at the Asian Cadet Judo Championship in 2008. However, she met Kripa Shankar Patel Bishnoi at a national camp in Aurangabad, who recommended her to choose judo or wrestling instead of both, as her physique is more suited for wrestling. He talked about this in an interview and said,
I wanted to become a wrestler since childhood but due to my age, I joined Judo in 2007 and won medals for the country. But later when I was 16 years old, I was advised to choose a sport and I joined wrestling.
In 2010, Pooja made her freestyle wrestling debut at the Summer Youth Olympics held in Singapore under the 57 kg weight category. Won silver medal in championship. She suffered a critical injury during one of her practice sessions at the Sports Authority of India Center in Lucknow in 2015, after which she could not participate in any wrestling competition for two years. She recovered in 2016 after two surgeries. He talked about this in an interview and said,
It was a period that I cannot easily forget. There was a time when I could stand properly. Those two years derailed my wrestling career, but I was determined to return to the mat and soon make my return to the 2017 Pro Wrestling League.
In 2016, she resumed her practice sessions, and in 2017, she competed in the 57-weight category at the Asian Indoor and Martial Arts Championships. He won the bronze medal in the championship
Pooja participated in various wrestling competitions like Commonwealth Games and Pro Wrestling League.
In 2018, she participated in pro wrestling competitions in which she defeated world and Olympic champion Helen Maroulis. Recalling the match in an interview, Pooja said,
After the final match, Helen told me ‘I am your fan now’. I was over the moon. I have always admired his wrestling and defeating him twice was a dream come true.”
- 2007: Bronze medal in Asian Cadet Judo Championship
- 2008: Gold Medal in Asian Cadet Judo Championship
- 2010: Silver Medal at Summer Youth Olympics, Singapore
- 2013: Gold Medal in Senior Wrestling Nationals
- 2014: Bronze medal in Asian Wrestling Championship
- 2017: Bronze medal in Asian Indoor and Martial Arts Championship
- 2018: silver medal in commonwealth games
He has Kia Seltos GTX Plus.
Facts / Trivia
- Pooja Dhanda joined the Hisar Mahavir Stadium to take judo and wrestling training at the age of 10. He was coached by trainer and wrestler Subhash Chander Soni.
- Pooja Dhanda follows a vegetarian diet.
- In 2016, he was offered the role of Babita Phogat In Aamir KhanThe movie Dangal. However, he could not get the role due to a knee injury. He talked about this during an interview and said,
It was fine being an actor (as a performer in Dangal). But I prefer to write my own story.”
- Pooja Dhanda is an avid dog lover. He also has a pet dog in his house.
- Pooja’s achievements have been appreciated by many important personalities, including Narendra Modi And Yogi Adityanath,
- His favorite food includes sarso ka saag, matar paneer and ice cream.