Pratap Pothen (1952–2022) was an Indian actor, director, screenwriter, producer and film producer. On 15 July 2022, he passed away due to natural causes at his apartment in Chennai.
Pratap Pothan was born on Wednesday, 13 August 1952.age 69 years; at the time of death) in Trivandrum, Kerala. He did his schooling at The Lawrence School, Lovedale, Tamil Nadu.
In 1972, he completed his BA in Economics from Madras Christian College, Chennai. He used to participate in painting competition in school. In college, he joined a theater group and from there he started developing an interest in acting.
Height (approx.): 5′ 7″
Eye Colour: black
Hair Color: black
parents and siblings
His father, Kolathinkal Pothan, was a businessman. Pratap had five siblings. The names of his elder brothers are Hari Pothen (Film Producer) and Mohan Pothen. He has a sister named Devi Pothen.
wife and children
In 1985, he married the famous South Indian actress-producer Radhika Sarathkumar, but the couple got divorced in 1986.
In 1990, he married Amala Satyanath, a general manager of the Tata Group in Mumbai. The couple has a daughter named Kea. In 2012, Pratap got divorced from his second wife Amala.
religious point of view
According to his Facebook account, he was an agnostic.
He started his career as a theater artist. He joined a theater group named The Madras Players and performed in several theater plays. While he was performing in the theater play Androcles and the Lion, he was noticed by Indian filmmaker Bharatan, who offered Pratap the role of Kokkarako in the Malayalam film Aravam (1978).
He appeared in several Malayalam films such as ‘Thakara’ (1979), ‘Chamaram’ (1980), ‘Sindoor Sandhyakku Moonam’ (1982), ‘Once Upon a Time There Was a Kallan’ (2014), and ‘Forensics’. 2020).
He made his debut in Tamil films with ‘Azhiyada Kolangal’ (1979) as Indumati’s husband.
He acted in various Tamil films such as ‘Ilamai Kolam’ (1980), ‘Kudumbam Oru Kadambam’ (1981), ‘Achil Iravugal’ (1982), ‘Ayirathil Oruvan’ (2010), and ‘Kamali from Nadukkaveri’ (2021). . Pratap made his Telugu debut as Pratap in the film ‘Aakali Rajyam’ (1981).
Her other Telugu films are ‘Kanchana Ganga’ (1984), ‘Justice Chakravarthy’ (1984), ‘Chukkalo Chandrudu’ (2006), ‘Yevade Subramaniam’ (2015), and ‘Vedevadu’ (2017). In 1988, he made his debut as a writer with the Tamil film ‘Sola Thodikuthu Manasu’. His first Tamil film as a director is ‘Meendam Oru Kathal Kathai’ (1985), and after almost two years, he directed his first Malayalam film, Ritubedam (1987). Some of his films as a writer and director are ‘Jiva’ (1988), ‘My Dear Marthandan’ (1990), ‘Magudam’ (1992), ‘Sevalaperi Pandi’ (1994), and ‘Lucky Man’ (1995). . Pratap started his own advertising agency “Green Apple” and directed TV commercials for MRF Tires and Nippo. In 2007, he played the role of KR Menon IAS in the Hindi film ‘Guru’. He acted in Kalaignar TV serial ‘Nalaya Iyakkunar’ in 2009.
- 1979: Filmfare Award South for Best Actor (Malayalam) for Thakar
- 1980: Chamarami for Best Actor (Malayalam) at Filmfare Awards South
- 1984: National Film Award for Best Debut Film of a Director for the film Meendam Oru Kathal Katha
- 1987: Filmfare Awards South for Best Director (Malayalam) for Ritubhedam
- 2012: 22 South Indian International Movie Award for Best Actor in a Negative Role (Malayalam) for Female Kottayam
- 2012: Vanitha Film Award for Best Supporting Actor for Ayalum Najanum Thamili
- 2013: Asianet Film Awards for Special Jury Mention for Acting for Idukki Gold 3 Dots
- 2014: The Kerala State Film Award for Special Jury Award for Acting for Once Upon a Time was a kallan
He breathed his last on 15 July 2022 at his residence in Chennai. He died of natural causes. Famous Indian actor on his death Kamal Hassan Told,
I have noticed that when he directed ‘Vetrivizha’, he was also adept at directing fast-paced films. My condolences.”
Facts / Trivia
- Before pursuing his career as an actor, he worked as a copywriter with some advertising agencies such as Sistas Advertising Agency and Hindustan Thomson.
- Pratap used to smoke and also drink alcohol.
- He was a dog lover and had a pet dog.
- According to his Facebook account, his favorite quote was,
where there is no wind. queue!!!”
- Pratap used to eat non-vegetarian food.