Prateek Sinha is a former Indian software engineer and journalist who co-founded Alt News, a non-profit fact-checking website. Mohammad Zubair,
Prateek Sinha was born on 28 April and hails from Ahmedabad, Gujarat. His zodiac sign is Taurus.
He did his schooling from Prakash Higher Secondary School, Ahmedabad. Prateek Sinha’s mother is a Gujarati, a resident of Ahmedabad, while his father is a Bengali. Hence, Prateek spent his childhood roaming between cities, visiting Kolkata during his summer vacations. Raised by active parents, Sinha developed social awareness at a very young age. Talking about his childhood in an interview, he said,
I had a childhood where conversations at the dinner table revolved around socio-political issues. So that was always on my mind. ,
From 1999 to 2003, he graduated in engineering from Bangalore Institute of Technology affiliated to Visvesvaraya Technological University in Bangalore, Karnataka. , After completing his formal education, Sinha moved to the US to pursue a career as a software engineer. Later, he moved to Vietnam. He returned to Ahmedabad in March 2013. A turning point in his life came in 2016 when Jan Sangharsh Manch, a civil liberties organization formed by his parents, joined hands with the Una Dalit Atchaar Ladai Samiti for a march from Ahmedabad to Una. Documenting the march, Sinha recognized his inner desire to pursue a career in journalism. Talking about the same he said in an interview,
I documented the march on social media. It had a huge impact and I thought, maybe, I should do something related to the media. Also, I was not so happy with my engineering career. I felt that only the financially privileged were benefiting from my work.”
Later, he moved to Kolkata, West Bengal.
Height (approx.): 5′ 9″
Hair Color: black (half bald)
Eye Colour: black
Prateek Sinha’s father, Mukul Sinha, an Indian human rights activist and an advocate in the Gujarat High Court in Ahmedabad, died on 12 May 2014 due to lung cancer. Prateek’s mother Nirjhari Sinha worked as a scientist for 35 years. Mukul and Nirjhari together founded Jan Sangharsh Manch, an independent civil rights organization to address issues of labor and workers’ rights. led the civil liberties organization against the injustice meted out to the victims of the 2002 riots and the families of the encounter victims; Mukul Sinha legally represented those families. Nirjhari Sinha is also the director of Pravda Media Foundation, a non-profit company under which Alt News works. Prateek has no siblings.
Prateek Sinha is an atheist.
After completing his formal education, he started working in Day Begins Engineering Innovation Pvt Ltd. From 2003 to 2005, he worked as a Senior Software Engineer at Ubictech Software Pvt Ltd, Bengaluru. At ubiqtech, he worked in the areas of product design and development of firewalls and VPNs for the company’s flagship product. From 2004 to 2009, he was a member of the technical staff at Arda Systems, Bengaluru. Later, he joined Cloudleaf, Inc. as a Senior Software Engineer. He donned a number of hats, including the positions of software developer, kernel engineer, and manager of the Enterprise Support Group at Arada Systems. In 2009, he worked as a freelancer for Humbug, a software development company in Vietnam. In May 2012, he joined multinational software outsourcing organization InfoNam, Inc. as a technical coordinator in Vietnam. got included in. From August 2013 to February 2014, he worked as Senior Embedded Software Engineer at Readme Systems Inc., Ahmedabad. On 9 February 2017, Prateek Sinha set up Alt News website in Ahmedabad to tackle the phenomenon of fake news. Mohammad Zubair, For almost a year, Zubair only assisted Sinha in running the site, meanwhile continuing to work for Nokia. Zubair finally quit Nokia in September 2018 and joined Alt News as a full-time employee. In 2022, Sinha announced that he would set up a branch in Kolkata, West Bengal.
Offensive tweet against Lord Ganesha
after that Mohammad ZubairArrested on 27 June 2022, a Twitter user named Hanuman bhakt @balajikijaiiin shared Prateek Sinha’s tweet posted in 2015 in which he mocked Lord Ganesha and questioned whether someone with an elephant head was present . The Hanuman devotee tagged the Delhi Police in his post and urged them to take action against Zubair.
Earlier, a Hanuman bhakt had exposed Zubair’s 2018 tweet, which led to his arrest by the Delhi Police for allegedly hurting religious sentiments.
Facts / Trivia
- His Twitter username is free_thinker.
- After his arrest in June 2022, various media houses reported that transactions worth over Rs 50 lakh had taken place in Zubair’s bank account in the past. Alt News co-founder Prateek Sinha in a tweet refuted the allegations against Zubair saying that the police is linking the donations received by Alt News to Zubair.
Fact Check: Absolutely false. The police is linking the donation received by Alt News to Zubair. All the money that Alt News receives goes to the organization’s bank and not to any individual. The bank statement of Zubair’s personal account, a copy of which I have, refutes this falsehood. pic.twitter.com/esrmEVpTPp
— Prateek Sinha (@free_thinker) June 28, 2022
- Like his father, Prateek Sinha is also a vocal critic of the then Chief Minister of Gujarat. Narendra Modi, After Sinha returned to Ahmedabad from Vietnam in March 2013, his father was diagnosed with lung cancer in August 2013. He founded a Facebook page called ‘Truth of Gujarat’ along with his father in 2014. Political blog exposes misrule of Gujarat. Government and its leaders. The About section of the page reads,
A campaign to stop the subversion of the rule of law, to bring justice to the victim.”
The page was set up after the CBI issued chargesheets against several Gujarat policemen who were found guilty of cold-blooded shooting of four people in a fake encounter under the directions of Narendra Modi and the Home Minister. Amit Shah As alleged by at least 3 police officers including GL Singhal.
- He was included in the nomination list for the 2022 Nobel Peace Prize by the Peace Research Institute Oslo along with his co-founder Mohamed Zubair.
- Sinha can speak Bengali in addition to Hindi and English, but he cannot read or write it.
- She is a carnivore.
- He earned the OSM Inspiration of the Year Award at the Outlook Social Media Awards (2018).
- In 2019, he co-authored the book India Misinformed: The True Story, which aims to identify the key proponents of fabricated news, uncover propaganda mechanisms, and introduce readers to fake news detection techniques.