Hometown: Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala
Marital Status: Married
- Raj Subramaniam is an Indian American businessman and the CEO of FedEx Corporation. He is a gold medalist IITian who is also the Chairman of FedEx and a member of the Board of Directors.
- Raj Subramaniam was born on 14 September 1967 in Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala. He comes from a South Indian family and his father, C Subramaniam is a former DGP of the Indian Police. Her mother’s name is B Kamalammal and she was an anesthetist in Thiruvananthapuram. He also has a brother, Rajiv Subramaniam, who works at FedEx.
- Raj Subramaniam spent his childhood in Thiruvananthapuram and attended Loyola School till class X. At the age of 15, he shifted to Bombay (now Mumbai) and studied at the SIES Group of Institutions till class XII. His father wanted him to join the civil services but Raj Subramaniam had a different interest. He joined the Indian Institute of Technology in Bombay and graduated in 1987.
- After completing his graduation, he moved to New York and earned a master’s degree in chemical engineering Syracuse University in 1989. After that, he did his MBA from the University of Texas, Austin and passed out in 1991.
- He married Uma, an IIM Ahmedabad alumna, who was also a FedEx employee until Raj became the company’s CEO. The couple has a son, Arjun Rajesh, who worked in the e-commerce division of FedEx and is now pursuing higher studies.
- After completing his MBA, he joined FedEx in 1991 as a marketing analyst in Memphis, Tennessee. In an interview he said,
He was in Chennai for his wedding when FedEx officials came to his college in the US for campus recruitment. The candidate he had originally chosen did not want to join because he wanted to come back to India. When Raj came to know about this he told him that he was available to appear for the interview, after which he got selected.
- In 1996, he was promoted to the position of Vice President of Marketing, Asia Pacific at FedEx Express. He held this position until September 2003, and was promoted to become the regional president of Canada.
- In June 2006, he became Senior Vice President at FedEx Services and held the position for a longer period of six years and eight months. He became EVP in Marketing and Communications at FedEx Corporation in February 2013. In January 2019, he became the President and CEO of FedEx Express and held the position for three months after which he became the President and COO of FedEx Collaboration in March 2019.
- He introduced transformational changes in the company and took his e-commerce business to a new level while reviving the company’s operational strategies for digital transformation. With all of these initiatives, he earned the status of a board member at FedEx Collaboration in 2020. In March 2022, the company’s founder, chairman, and CEO Frederick W. Smith decided to step down as CEO at FedEx Corp and remain in the position. Executive Chairman of the company. At the same time it was also announced that Raj Subramaniam would be the new CEO of the company with effect from 1st June 2022.
After stepping down as CEO, Frederick said,
As we look forward, I am very satisfied that a leader of Raj Subramaniam’s ability will lead FedEx into a very successful future.”
- As CEO, Raj Subramaniam is the leader who will provide strategic direction to all FedEx entities. These include FedEx Express, FedEx Services, FedEx Office, FedEx Ground, FedEx Freight, FedEx Logistics and FedEx Dataworks. In addition, he is a member of the FedEx Executive Committee which plans and executes the Corporation’s strategic business activities. He also serves as a member of the FedEx Strategic Management Committee which provides strategic direction to the company.
- Raj Subramaniam is proficient in four languages including Hindi, English, Tamil and Malayalam.
- His father, C Subramaniam, wanted him to pursue a career in the civil services while he was studying at IIT, Bombay.
- His real name is Rajesh Subramaniam and he has only worked for FedEx since the beginning of his career in 1991.
- He is an Indian-origin businessman who runs FedEx with annual revenue of $92 billion and a global employee base of over 6 million individuals.