Hometown: Jharkhand, India
Marital Status: Married
Profession: News anchor
Some lesser known facts about Rohit Ranjan
- Rohit Ranjan is an Indian television news anchor. On 5 July 2022, he came into limelight when he was taken into custody by the Noida Police after playing a misleading video of Indian National Congress President Rahul Gandhi. Later the channel also apologized for this.
- Rohit Ranjan hails from Delhi, India. Soon after completing his studies in Mass Communication, Rohit Ranjan started working with P&News Channel as an anchor in September 2010. He held the role till May 2015.
- He then worked as an executive producer for News World India from April 2019 to July 2020.
- In July 2020, Rohit Ranjan started working as a news anchor.
- On July 1, 2022, talking to a media house, Raipur Senior Superintendent of Police Prashant Agarwal said that a case was registered against Rohit Ranjan for promoting enmity between different groups and hurting religious sentiments on the complaint of Congress MLA Devendra Yadav. Is. Indian citizens by airing a fake video of Rahul Gandhi on his show on Zee News.
- In the video, Rahul Gandhi was forgiving those who attacked his Wayanad office and was calling him a child. On 1 July 2022, Zee News channel edited the video to show on national television that Rahul Gandhi was seen pardoning the killers of Udaipur tailor Kanhaiya Lal.
- Soon, a complaint was filed by Congress MLA Devendra Yadav on Zee TV news channel for spreading misleading news about Rahul Gandhi. Then two teams of police from Ghaziabad and Chhattisgarh reached outside Ranjan’s house to arrest him. The Ghaziabad police officer told the media that the local police is not involved in the case. Soon after the news of his arrest surfaced on various television news channels, Rohit Ranjan tweeted a post and tagged Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath. Ranjan wrote,
Chhattisgarh Police is standing outside my house to arrest me without informing the local police. Is this legal?”
In response, Raipur Police tweeted,
There is no such rule to notify. Yet, now they are informed. The police team has shown you the arrest warrant of the court. You should really cooperate, join the investigation and defend yourself in court.”
Later Ghaziabad Police intervened in the matter and took Rohit Ranjan away from his house and said that he is in the custody of Noida Police. However, he was later released on bail.
- On 1 July 2022, in Raipur, IPC sections 153A (promoting enmity between different groups), 295A (deliberate and malicious acts with intent to outrage religious feelings of any class), 467 (forgery) against Rohit Ranjan An FIR was registered under sections of IPC including 469. (Forgery intended to damage reputation), 504 (Intentional insult).
- On 2 July 2022, Ranjan apologized on one of his social media accounts for accidentally broadcasting the video on national television. He said he had mistakenly taken Rahul Gandhi’s statement out of context by linking it to the Udaipur massacre on June 28, 2022. Rohit Ranjan tweeted,
This was a human error for which our team apologizes. We apologize for that.”
In our show DNA the mistakes of Rahul Gandhi program incident were wrong, these were wrong, these were wrong Khiladi Khiladi, we are players making mistakes for setting. pic.twitter.com/YGs7kfbKKi
— Rohit Ranjan (@irohitr) 2 July 2022
- In the same FIR, which was registered in Raipur, the complainant had accused the director and chairman of Zee News, its chief executive officer and its news anchor Rohit Ranjan of conspiring against Rahul Gandhi and spreading fake news.
- On 6 July 2022, Chhattisgarh Police said in a media conference that Zee News anchor Rohit Ranjan escaped from his residence in Indirapuram, Ghaziabad, when a police team was sent to arrest him for the second time.
- On 6 July 2022, after several police cases were registered against Rahul Gandhi for circulating a fake news video, Rohit Ranjan approached the Supreme Court.
- Rohit Ranjan is quite active on various social media platforms. He has more than 2k followers on his Facebook page. He is followed by more than 48.5k people on Twitter. He has more than 1k followers on Instagram. He often shares pictures and videos on social media.