Age: 65 Years
Wife: Zarina Mehta
Some lesser known facts about Ronnie Screwvala
- Ronnie Screwvala is an Indian businessman and TV and film producer. He is best known for being the founder of the film production and distribution company UTV.
- After completing his graduation, he started a theater company and performed in a few theater plays.
- He then started a toothbrush manufacturing company ‘Laser’, which gained immense popularity among consumers. By 2022, the company is selling approximately 6 million toothbrushes per month.
- In 1981, he pioneered home shopping in India with the Tele-shopping Network (TSN). He is one of the prominent persons who started cable television in India.
- He is the founder of United Studios, a leading studio and animation complex in South Asia.
- In 1990, Ronnie started the film production company UTV Group and expanded it into a movie studio, game studio and creative company. In 2005, it was listed on the National Stock Exchange of India.
- In 2008, The Walt Disney Company bought 15% shares in UTV Global Broadcasting for Rs 118.98 crore, which is considered one of the largest foreign investments in India. Later, Walt Disney acquired 32.1 per cent in the original UTV Software Communications Ltd for Rs 805.05 crore. In 2012, UTV Global Broadcasting was split by Walt Disney.
- Screwvala then started a private equity company Uniledger Ventures and invested in various industries such as e-commerce, Lenskart and micro-housing finance.
- Ronnie is also involved in various social services. In 2013, he started an NGO Swades Foundation along with his wife Zarina. The main objective of establishing the NGO was to provide various livelihood opportunities in India.
- In 2014, Ronnie started the Indian film production company RSVP Movies.
- He is a well-known name in the world of Indian filmmakers. He has produced several Hindi films like Swades (2004), Rang De Basanti (2006), Paan Singh Tomar (2010), Uri: The Surgical Strike (2019), and The Sky is Pink (2019).
- Apart from film, he also produced Hindi TV serials like Shanti (1994–98), Shaka Laka Boom Boom (2000–04), Khichdi (2002–04), Sharat (2003–07), and Hero – Bhakti Hi Shakti Hai. has done. (2005-07).
- He has written books such as Dream With Your Eyes Open, An Entrepreneurial Journey, Skill It Kill It, Up Your Game and Dream With Your Eyes Open.
- He has also authored a few articles such as ‘The growing sense of self-reliance in India is a welcome change, but not without the Triple E Highway – Education, Entrepreneurship and Employment,’ ‘Changing the Perception of Online Learning,’ and ‘Live Life on Your Terms. And another lesson for my daughter.’
- In 2014, Ronnie Screwvala and Supratik Sen (film writers) started the e-sports company ‘You Sports’. Under the company, he started an initiative called UDreams, which helps children by providing professional training in various sports.
- In 2015, Ronnie co-founded the online education company upGrad. The online platform offers various educational programs in the areas of data science, technology and management to college students, working professionals and enterprises. upGrad has affiliated with various top universities like IIT Madras, IIIT-B, BITS Pilani, MICA, and Cambridge Judge Business School of Executive Education to upgrade the education system in India.
- Ronnie is an avid animal lover and has a few pet dogs named Sprite and Skye.
- After the closure of his film ‘Ashwathama’ in 2021, he suffered a loss of around Rs 30 crore. he signed Vicky Kaushal And Sara Ali Khan to play the lead role.
- He has carved a big chessboard in his house. In an interview, he shared that he likes to play chess with the Indian actor. Aamir Khan, he said,
I know how to play chess. Sometimes my daughter and I would do this, or when Amir would come, he and I would play, but I haven’t beaten Amir yet, so that’s a bad thing.
- In the October 2020 edition, she was featured on the cover page of Forbes magazine.