Spouse: Ashish Mohapatra
Age: 39 Years
Some lesser known facts about Ruchi Kalra
- Ruchi Kalra is an Indian entrepreneur, co-founder of OffBusiness and Oxijo Financial Services startups that turned unicorns, meaning companies have reached valuations of at least $1 billion.
- Ruchi started working as a Senior Business Analyst at Valueserve after completing her BTech in Chemical Engineering, following which she did her MBA from Indian School of Business, Hyderabad.
- Ruchi was keenly interested in co-curricular activities during her college days. She was an elected member of the student union. In an interview, she revealed,
For me, apart from the curriculum, there was more to do as an elected member of the student body. This gave me an opportunity to explore my full potential and also got recognition from the institute as a young leader.”
- In 2007, she joined McKinsey through a college placement, where she worked as a consultant in the financial services sector for nearly 9 years and later became a partner in the company.
- During her time at McKinsey, she found her husband, Ashish Mohapatra. In an interview, Ruchi said that her husband is her inspiration. She said that she plays an important role as a professional coach and a leader in her life.
- In 2016, she left McKinsey to join entrepreneurship forces with her husband and 6 others to set up her own startup of business in the uncharted territory of B2B.
- She became the co-founder and CFO at OffBusiness which acts as a single window for SMEs to get secured and unsecured credit.
- His company of business became a unicorn after the Japanese multinational conglomerate, SoftBank Group Corp, backed the company.
- She found a branch of her first startup in 2017 with her husband and 3 others from their team. He named it Oxyzo, which is a combination of the words Oxygen and Ozone.
- His company Oxizo provides purchase financing to small and medium businesses, cash-flow-based loans to help SMEs who struggle to obtain working capital, using data-reducing technology.
- According to Oxijo, Ruchi is the co-founder, CFO and whole-time director of the company and keeps a check on finance control, accounts and audit, compliance – legal and secretarial, and capital management.
- In July 2019, Ruchi represented OffBusiness as a speaker at the Unifi Alternative Finance Roundtable, where four of India’s cutting-edge fintech companies presented their business cases, technical methodologies and risk management practices.
- Ruchi, led by Alpha Wave Global, Tiger Global Management, Norwest Venture Partners, Matrix Partners and Creation Investments, raised $200 million for her company Oxizo, the largest ever Series-A funding for an Indian startup. This also earned it the unicorn tag in 2022.
- Ruchi was described by Norwest as ‘India’s first female founder of a profitable, fintech unicorn’.
- In an interview, Ruchi said that while working at McKinsey, she realized that SMEs were under-served. He said,
I wanted to do something related to manufacturing, which was the core of India’s development. I was also expecting at the same time, so I wanted to start something new at that time.”
- When asked about her success mantra in an interview, Ruchi said,
Perseverance. Perseverance is not giving up. It is perseverance and tenacity, the effort required to do something and keep doing it till the end, even if it is difficult. And I believe that sooner or later perseverance pays off.”