Sagar Ahlawat is an Indian boxer who won a silver medal in the plus 92 kg category at the 2022 Commonwealth Games held in Birmingham, England.
Sagar Ahlawat was born on Friday 7 July 2000.age 22 years; by 2022) in Dhandlan village, Jhajjar, Haryana. His zodiac sign is Cancer. He did his schooling from Brigadier Ran Singh Public School, Dojhana-N, Haryana. After this he did his Bachelor of Arts from Goswami Ganesh Dutta Sanatan Dharma College, Chandigarh.
height: 5′ 11″
Weight (approx): 90 kg
Hair Color: black
Eye Colour: black
Sagar belongs to Jat family.
parents and siblings
His father Rajesh Ahlawat is a farmer. His mother’s name is Mukesh Ahlawat. His sister’s name is Tanu Ahlawat. He doesn’t have any brothers.
Sagar started his training in boxing after completing 12th standard. He started training under coach Hitesh Deshwal at Jawahar Bagh Stadium in Jhajjar, Haryana. In an interview when Sagar’s coach Hitesh was asked about the training, he said,
I told him (Sagar) that he has to follow a strict rule. Many students leave after improving their physique. I told him that if you are serious about boxing then you are welcome, otherwise just leave. I would have made three-four boxes against him at once. He has a lot of fighting ability. I will fight him for 6-8 rounds. This helped in increasing his will power and stamina. Sometimes, he would be up against a different boxer in each round for eight consecutive rounds.”
He followed an extraordinary routine of training three times a day. In the morning and evening, he used to run after boxing. When everyone was asleep in the scorching afternoon heat, he used to run near the canal for about 10-15 kilometers with a tire tied around his waist.
Thereafter he participated in various boxing championships including All India University Championship and Khelo India University Games. After this, he was given training in the National Camp of Patiala. He came into limelight after defeating senior boxers in 2022 Satish Kumar and Narendra Berwal in the National Selection Trial in Patiala. Talking about defeating boxers during an interview, he said,
Bhai Saheb is a legend (Satish Bhai is a legend). He has been the national champion since 2012 and became the first super heavyweight boxer to compete in the Olympics. Satish Bhai Saheb congratulated me, it was very nice… I have grown up watching him in boxing.”
She won the silver medal under the plus 92 kg category at the Commonwealth Games 2022 in Birmingham, England. He won the medal by defeating England’s boxer Delicious Ory.
His stand in the game is Southpaw. His coaches are Hitesh Deswal and Virendra Dangi.
- 2018: Gold in 44th Junior Men’s State Boxing Championship, Haryana
- 2018: Gold in 47th Junior (Youth) Men’s National Boxing Championship, Haryana
- 2019: Gold in All India University Championship
- 2020: Gold in PU Inter College Boxing Championship
- 2021: Gold in PU Inter College Boxing Championship
- 2021: Silver at Men’s 5th Elite National Championship, Bellary
- 2022: Silver in Commonwealth Games, Birmingham, England
- Meal: Churma and Tomato Chutney
Facts / Trivia
- Sagar started his training in boxing after completing his schooling which is quite late as compared to other Indian boxers. He talked about this during an interview. he said,
I was not good in studies. I did not even study. (I couldn’t study now) So, I started looking for something else to do after class 12th.”
His interest in boxing began in 2015 when he read a newspaper article on the boxing match between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao. Talking about this during an interview, he said,
I was never a brilliant student and I was looking for a way out. Then I saw this full page article about the Floyd Mayweather-Manny Pacquiao fight. I was inspired by reading about them. Both made a big mark, kitne saal hare hi nahi (their careers have been distinguished, they have not lost for so many years).
- In an interview, Sagar shared that he used to work on his farms and attend his training classes together with his father. he said,
We have only two acres of land and I used to work in the field with my father all day. There were a lot of problems, so to change my luck, I had to start boxing. I can never say that I was lacking in anything when I was training in Jhajjar. My father saw to it that I get everything in the form of food and equipment. However, I was not able to train regularly. There were also very few rare companions. ,
- In 2022, Sagar won the silver medal in the Commonwealth Games. In an interview, when journalists talked to Sagar’s family about his victory, his sister said that winning a medal at such a young age is not a small thing. He further said that his brother started from scratch, and he would win the gold medal next time. his mother said,
My son played very well, only after defeat does one win. We will feed them ‘churma’ when they return.
His family members further said that after coming to India, Sagar was the first to visit Baba Machandri Maharaj’s ashram, which is a tradition in Sagar’s village. His family members said,
After coming to the village, he would first come here to the ashram of Machandari Maharaj and get blessings. Apart from this, after coming to the temple of Dudhdhari Maharaj and Shyam Baba, he had gone to participate in the Commonwealth Games. He will come to these three religious places and seek blessings.
- During an interview, Sagar’s mother told that although Sagar did not like to eat meat, but he had to eat according to his diet.