Age: 33 Years
Wife: Reeth Rishya
Some lesser known facts about Sanil Shetty
- Sanil Shetty is an Indian paddler. He is known to have won two medals at the 2018 Commonwealth Games. In 2022, she made headlines after winning a gold medal at the 2022 Commonwealth Games held in Birmingham, United Kingdom.
- Sanil Shetty started her table tennis career at a very young age. In an interview, he claimed that his table tennis journey began on his 9th birthday when his elder brother gifted him a table tennis racket. he said,
I still remember, it was my 9th birthday, and my brother came home after playing a tournament in Mumbai. He gave me a TT racket, which marked the beginning of my journey.
- Initially, Sanil Shetty was coached by his elder brother and after training with him for some time, Sanil Shetty joined the Young Men’s Christian Association (YMCA) in Andheri, where he was coached by Deepak Mani for twelve years. to be done.
- After being coached by Deepak Mani, Sanil Shetty moved to Frankfurt, Germany, where he trained with a German table tennis coach named Peter Engel.
- In 2011, Sanil Shetty joined Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited (BPCL). There, he represented the organization in several national level table tennis tournaments.
- In 2012, Sanil Shetty participated in the Fajr Cup, where she won a bronze medal. The tournament took place in Iran.
- In 2012, Sanil Shetty was selected by the Table Tennis Federation of India (TTFI) to participate in the qualifying matches for the London 2012 Summer Olympics. He could not make it to the Indian team due to a loss to his opponent in the semi-finals. Sanil said in an interview,
It was 2012 when I got a chance to qualify for the Olympics but unfortunately I lost in the quarterfinals. I could not make it to the finals. I was broken then. Had I qualified, I would have made a place for the Olympics. It took me time to gain confidence and convince myself that I had to bow down and that what went wrong cannot be undone. ,
- In 2014, Sanil Shetty participated in and won the Senior National and Inter-State Table Tennis Championships. He became the second player from Mumbai to become a national champion since 1995.
- Sanil Shetty participated in the 2014 Fajr Cup which took place in Iran. Sanil won the silver medal in the tournament.
- In 2015, Sanil Shetty participated in the South East Asian Games held in Singapore, where she won a gold medal in the team championship event.
- In 2016, Sanil Shetty participated in and won the Inter Oil Table Tennis Championship.
- In 2018, Sanil Shetty was selected for the Indian table tennis team that participated in the 2018 Commonwealth Games. In the tournament, he not only won a gold medal in the men’s team championship, but also won a bronze medal in the men’s mixed doubles event.
- In 2019, Sanil Shetty participated in ITTF 13th South Asian Games organized by Nepal and won silver medal.
- In 2021, Sanil Shetty won a bronze medal in the team championship event at the Asian Championships in Doha, Qatar.
- Later in 2021, Sanil Shetty participated in and won the National Ranking Table Tennis Championship. The incident took place in Dehradun, India.
- In 2022, Sanil Shetty won the gold medal in the team championship event at the 2022 Commonwealth Games, Birmingham, UK.
- On 5 August 2022, Sanil Shetty and Reeth Tennyson were defeated by their Malaysian opponents in the mixed doubles table tennis event at the 2022 Commonwealth Games.
- Sanil Shetty said in an interview that he was born prematurely with a hole in his heart. Due to her condition, her parents did not allow her to participate in any physical activity as it would have put a lot of pressure on her heart and could have a serious impact on her well being. He also claimed that he had to undergo various types of medical treatment for five years. In an interview, Sanil said,
When I was born, there was a hole in my heart. Naturally my parents were scared at the doctors’ advice. I was too sensitive to play any harsh game. So, as a child my parents put me in various art classes. I would learn painting, drawing and all kinds of things. I was taking homeopathy treatment till the age of nine or 10. The doctors said nothing could be done. Our domestic help took me to school and brought me back home. I also had trouble breathing.”
- Sanil Shetty claims that he takes inspiration from his elder brother to play table tennis. In an interview he said,
I am largely inspired by my elder brother. In 1998, Sachin brought home a huge trophy he won in a Mumbai University tournament. I was inspired and told him that I also want this trophy.
- According to Sanil Shetty, his parents were against his decision to pursue a career in sports because of his medical history. He also claimed that it was his elder brother who supported him and helped him convince his parents to allow Sanil to pursue a career in table tennis. he said,
My father used to play for the bank he worked for and my elder brother Sachin also played at the national level. When I was nine, I started requesting my parents to allow me to play table tennis, but my request was consistently denied by them. After this my elder brother Sachin also helped me by talking to our parents and at least convincing me to try. He really supported me a lot.”