Marital Status: Married
Age: 36 Years
Height: 5′ 6″
Some lesser known facts about Saurav Ghoshal
- Saurav Ghoshal is an Indian professional squash player. In April 2019, he achieved the 10th world ranking in squash. In 2022, she participated in the Commonwealth Games held in Birmingham and created history by winning India’s first singles bronze medal at the Commonwealth Games.
- Saurav Ghoshal started playing squash at the age of eight. As a child, he joined the Kolkata Racket Club and started practicing squash in his hometown.
- Soon after completing his schooling, Saurav Ghoshal moved from Kolkata to Chennai and joined the ICL Squash Academy in Chennai, where he began receiving squash training under Major (Retd) Maniam and Cyrus Poncha. Later, Saurav Ghosal joined Pontefract Squash Club in West Yorkshire and began training under the guidance of Malcolm Willstrop.
- In May 2002, Saurav Ghoshal won the German Open (U-17) title and in June 2002, he won the Dutch Open Championship.
- In 2004, Saurav Ghosal won the Under-19 squash title during the British Junior Open Championship and became the first Indian squash player to win it, defeating his Egyptian rival Adele El Said in the final in Sheffield, England.
- In 2006, Saurav Ghoshal defeated his rival Gaurav Nandrajog in the national championship held in New Delhi and became the national squash champion.
- In 2006, Saurav Ghoshal won a bronze medal at the Asian Games held in Doha. On winning the event, he was awarded the Arjuna Award by the President of India in 2007. In 2010, his PSA world rank was 27.
- In 2013, Saurav Ghosal reached the quarter-finals of the World Squash Championship in Manchester, England and became the first Indian to reach it.
- In 2014, Saurav Ghoshal won a silver medal in individual singles at the Asian Games held in Incheon and became the first Indian to win an Asian Games medal in this sport. During the final, he lost to his rival Abdullah Al-Mujayen of Kuwait.
- In 2015, Saurav Ghoshal won the 35k PSA event in Kolkata.
- In 2016, Saurav Ghoshal won a gold medal at the South Asian Games in the team and a bronze medal in singles.
- In 2016, Saurav Ghoshal was the winner of the national championship, and in 2018, he won the Vedanta Indian Open title.
- In 2018, in a media interaction, Saurav Ghoshal remarked that budding Indian squash players lack top-notch coaches in the country. He said the Indian Squash Academy (ISA) run by SRFI in Chennai is also facing a similar situation.
- In 2019, Saurav Ghoshal was honored by Indian Guru Shri Shri Ravishankar At the ‘Spirit of Sports’ event at Bengal Rowing Club.
- In December 2021, Saurav Ghoshal was appointed as the President of Professional Squash Association (PSA).
- In August 2022, Saurav Ghosal won a bronze medal at the Commonwealth Games held in Birmingham and became the first Indian to win a bronze medal in men’s squash singles. In the game, he defeated his opponent James Willstrop of England in straight sets in the third/4th playoff. In the second round, Saurav Ghoshal defeated Shamil Vakil of Sri Lanka 11-4, 11-4, 11-6 and in the third round he defeated David Balergen of Canada 11-6, 11-2, 11-6. ,
- In his spare time, Saurav Ghoshal enjoys listening to music and watching movies.
- Saurav Ghoshal is associated with Pontefract Squash and Leisure Club. In a media interview, Saurav Ghoshal once revealed that winning a medal for the country by a professional sportsperson would attract the common man to join the sport. he said,
I certainly hope so. It is our responsibility as sportspersons to win medals for the country and attract common people. That’s what we’re doing right now. I hope more people join the game and help take squash in India to the next level.
- Sourav Ghoshal’s wife is the sister of Indian squash player Dipika PallikalWho is the wife of Indian Cricketer, Dinesh Karthik,
- Saurav Ghoshal remains quite active on various social media platforms. More than 10 thousand people follow him on Instagram. He often shares his photos and videos on Facebook. He has more than 49k followers on Twitter.
- In a media interaction, Saurav Ghoshal revealed that his mother motivated him to do well in education, while his father took care of his sport. He said he loved the Mary Biscuit Chocolate Pudding dessert, which was often made at home by his mother. Saurav Ghoshal loves non-vegetarian dishes, especially when it was cooked by his mother. he said,
Do I put it (content) now or later. She cooks bhindi very well. Then there are the fish, mutton and lamb cutlets. She’s very good at it.”
- Saurav Ghoshal is a kind animal lover. He has a pet dog named Cooper. He often shares pictures of his pets on social media.